Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats. I will never forget my daughter running her first 25 straight. It then seems to become an obsession for her!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
A new season is just around the corner. We started seriously practicing this week. Son is on post 1 and that is Jr Gold All American Bobby Fowler on post 4.

Sky Grass Human Cloud Trap shooting

·
Registered
475 Posts
I never get tired of seeing and reading these posts about youth shooters in action. Kids like the one above represent the future of this and all other shooting disciplines and the survival of the Second Amendment. Any encouragement and support we can offer is repaying what the generation before gave to us.

GREAT JOB DUDE!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Congratulations young man!! You’re first 25 is the hardest and they will get easier. Keep after it and you will shoot 50 straight in no time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Like everyone else, our AIM practices were halted due to Covid-19. We finally received the green light to start up again 2 weeks ago. My now 13 year old son (a 12 year old sub jr) has shot his new 725 over the winter months, but has never gotten comfortable with it. So, we made the choice to go back to the BT-99 and forget shooting doubles this year. His first 2-3 times out after changing back, his scores suffered greatly only hitting in the mid 70s and low 80s. After a few cases of shells, he is getting closer to where he left off last year. He says the BT-99 just feels right. He's only ran one 25 straight so far this year, but I see improvement every time he practices. He is now shooting 22 or higher each round where 3 weeks ago he actually was an 18-21. Last night he posted a 91, making this the first time this year of being in the 90s. Last week he posted an 89. TN State Shoot is coming up next week!

Recreation Sports Individual sports Grass Shooting sport

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like everyone else, our AIM practices were halted due to Covid-19. We finally received the green light to start up again 2 weeks ago. My now 13 year old son (a 12 year old sub jr) has shot his new 725 over the winter months, but has never gotten comfortable with it. So, we made the choice to go back to the BT-99 and forget shooting doubles this year. His first 2-3 times out after changing back, his scores suffered greatly only hitting in the mid 70s and low 80s. After a few cases of shells, he is getting closer to where he left off last year. He says the BT-99 just feels right. He's only ran one 25 straight so far this year, but I see improvement every time he practices. He is now shooting 22 or higher each round where 3 weeks ago he actually was an 18-21. Last night he posted a 91, making this the first time this year of being in the 90s. Last week he posted an 89. TN State Shoot is coming up next week!

View attachment 1691249
I was shooting a Winchester sx4 and I shot all of my disciplines with it. Trap, Doubles, and Sporting clays. I saved up for several summers for an SKB 95 ATR. I’m shooting it alright I had a gunsmithing friend fit it for me. It shoots AMAZING. I just have to get used to floating the bird. Now this my doubles gun and trap gun. I went and shot doubles for the first time this year and shot a 40. I was amazed. Now I am cranking out 24s like nobody’s business in trap.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
We've been keeping the gun barrel warmed up the past 2 weeks prepping for a couple of state shoots. He tied his best handicap score this week with a 92 from the 19. Then, went and shot singles today and got a new personal best, 94. Started with a 21, then a 24, 25,24. The 21 was caused by really low targets. After his 1st round, they raised it up. He dropped bird #23 on his 4th round shooting just a few inches to the left of a straightaway. He almost had his 50 straight today. Hopefully he will get it at the TN State Shoot this week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We've been keeping the gun barrel warmed up the past 2 weeks prepping for a couple of state shoots. He tied his best handicap score this week with a 92 from the 19. Then, went and shot singles today and got a new personal best, 94. Started with a 21, then a 24, 25,24. The 21 was caused by really low targets. After his 1st round, they raised it up. He dropped bird #23 on his 4th round shooting just a few inches to the left of a straightaway. He almost had his 50 straight today. Hopefully he will get it at the TN State Shoot this week.
I was shooting at one of the few registered shoots that was in my area. I missed the 49th bird which was a straight away. I shot way over the top of it. (I have to float the bird 3 inches) It would have been my 2nd 50 straight. They need to make 49 patches for me. I’d buy a lot.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
My son shot the TN State AIM Shoot on Tuesday and Wednesday. He won champion sub jr out of state in handicaps. He shot another 49/50 during handicaps. He didn't fair well at all on singles. 81 the first day and I quit counting on the 2nd day. He has never shot singles very well at that range. I think it was a combination of high clays and some gusty wind. I hope it was a fluke and he picks it back up to the 90s scores he was shooting last week.

Grass Recreation Games Tree Lawn

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I believe his singles scores from TN were a fluke. We went to our local club Saturday and he shot a 22/25 the first round. Dropped the 3 targets on the first 2 posts. When he came off, he said he knew what he was doing wrong and fixed it. Something about how much down pressure he put on his head/stock instead of just laying it against it. He went back out a few squads later and shot a 24/25 only missing a hard right on post 5. I'll take it. Now to shoot a lot the next 2 weeks to prep for the KY State shoot. A place he has always shot good at. In fact, the first post on page one was when he ran 25 straight for the first at KY State last year and he finished runner up in 4-H there last year as well.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts