Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 12 year old son started shooting in March of this year. He started shooting with an AIM team from West KY. He has consistently been shooting 22 or better each round for the past month. He's shot several 23-24, but has always come up short on 25 straight around the #18-21 clay. Earlier this week he shot at the KY State Shoot and finally ran his first 25 straight on the 3rd set. He was so excited he couldn't stay focused and blew the last round with a 20. He finished the day shooting a 90 and 89. His squad took home 3rd place in sub jr team.

Vacation Recreation Beer Junk food Competition event
Grassland Grass family Recreation Grass Shooting sport

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He made his first appearance at the AIM Grand. He shot pretty decent for no longer than he has been shooting. Shot an 89 on caps, 92 on first day of singles, and 86 on 2nd day of singles. The wind really bothered him on the 2nd singles day and the first 2 sets of 25 messed him up. He did manage to run 2 25s while we were there. I can see him getting more consistent the more he is shooting. Now he needs to be able to read the birds and know what adjustments to make on his own. His squad won 3rd place Sub Jr Class C. I couldn't have been more proud.

Grass family Baseball Grass Grassland Team sport

·
Registered
407 Posts
My 12 year old son started shooting in March of this year. He started shooting with an AIM team from West KY. He has consistently been shooting 22 or better each round for the past month. He's shot several 23-24, but has always come up short on 25 straight around the #18-21 clay. Earlier this week he shot at the KY State Shoot and finally ran his first 25 straight on the 3rd set. He was so excited he couldn't stay focused and blew the last round with a 20. He finished the day shooting a 90 and 89. His squad took home 3rd place in sub jr team.

View attachment 1590397 View attachment 1590399
Velvet Ears,
Congratulations to both of you. I remember that feeling when I shot my 25 straight, like it was yesterday. I just wish I started shooting at his age. Nice pics. looks like you have a very nice family. Good luck.
tabura79

·
Registered
85 Posts

View attachment 1590397 View attachment 1590399
That is awesome! My 14 year old son just ran his first 25 a few days ago also. He was so excited when he finished he was shaking... hilarious ! But a great memory. Congrats young man!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Congrats, I hope he needs to start a thread about what to do with all his trophies.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats, I hope he needs to start a thread about what to do with all his trophies.
The first pic is his archery awards over 3 years (almost 100 I think). A couple of state championship medals hanging there too. 2nd pic is the start of his trap shooting awards from this season. It's about double the amount of that now and I need to install a new shelf for the new trophies that are piled up in a box in his room including his AIM Grand plaque. He's had a pretty good season in his 1st year of trap. We've learned a lot and spent a lot. Gonna start off September shooting a new 725 trap gun I just bought him. He's shot it a couple of rounds, but wants to finish out his season with his BT-99 before switching. He just isn't quite strong enough to swing it fast enough on the hard rights yet.

Shelf Furniture Flag
Shelf Furniture Shelving Table Trophy

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is awesome! My 14 year old son just ran his first 25 a few days ago also. He was so excited when he finished he was shaking... hilarious ! But a great memory. Congrats young man!
Congrats to your son too. After my son got his first one, he put up 2 more 25s at the Grand and shot a 49/50 on his first 2 rounds of singles. Yours will do the same. 50 straight here they come!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just shot my first 50 today and I am 14. From one shooter to another focus on one bird at a time. You are only as good as your next bird. Good Luck
Congratulations to you. 75 straight will be here before you know it. I have to say you kids amaze me at how fast you adapt to something.

My son shot a 49 out of 50 yesterday. Almost got that 50 straight. He ran a 25 Friday night to finish with a 47. Then ran 25 on his first 25 Saturday, but missed #8 on the 2nd 25 set.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My son shot in the KY 4-H State Tournament this past weekend. He won 2nd place in his age group hitting 47/50. The past 3 tournaments he has shot in, he has scored a 47/50, 49/50, and a 47/50. I think it is starting to click with him.

Red Grass Footwear Summer Fun

1 - 20 of 94 Posts