Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have an Mx 8 that’s working very well with ou barrels shooting the under barrel. When I switch to the top sgl it recoils different kicking upwards and I lose sight of the target I understand the lower barrel is on a lower axis I get it
Again only with top single
Thinkin it needs a pitch spacer ? Thoughts

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Have an Mx 8 that’s working very well with ou barrels shooting the under barrel. When I switch to the top sgl it recoils different kicking upwards and I lose sight of the target I understand the lower barrel is on a lower axis I get it
Again only with top single
Thinkin it needs a pitch spacer ? Thoughts
I've heard this before. However, I bet if you don't know which barrel is loaded, you be wrong on a significant number of times.

Reactions: copey

·
Registered
14,098 Posts
It does have to do with the barrel axis. It may also be contributed to by your top single being lighter than the O/U.

Adding pitch may help (it will help both equally if you do in fact need more pitch, but the top barrel will still have more rise), but I don't think there's anything that can be done to make it LESS than the bottom barrel. You MIGHT get close by having the top single ported and not porting the o/u barrels.

I shoot a 10.5lb gun with a PFS. I can tell the difference in recoil signature from the bottom to the top barrel, even when shooting the 410.

·
Registered
14,098 Posts
I've heard this before. However, I bet if you don't know which barrel is loaded, you be wrong on a significant number of times.
I'd take that bet.

I'll give you my gun, you set the selector any way you want and let me fire both barrels, and I could say with very nearly 100% certainty what the order was from recoil signature alone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can raise the location of the pad up 3/4 inch, will that do anything? My thoughts it changes the fulcrum point maybe?

·
Registered
14,098 Posts
If you need to raise the pad, raise the pad, but raising the pad in an effort to reduce muzzle jump isn't the right move.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
I'd take that bet.

I'll give you my gun, you set the selector any way you want and let me fire both barrels, and I could say with very nearly 100% certainty what the order was from recoil signature alone.
You may be able to, but just for fun, I'd like to see it. I don't believe I could tell.

·
Vendor
1,564 Posts
The reason o/u shotguns should be shot bottom bbl first is just what you described.

The bottom barrel has straight line recoil back into the shoulder.

The top bbl is going to raise as the center line of the top bbl is generally above the shoulder.

Gunfit 101.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have 2 mx Perazzis and shoot both barrels regularly in sporting clays and trap. I do not feel a deference in recoil between them . I often shoot top barrel first as I run the tighter choke in that barrel. If the first target is further, I switch the selector and shoot the tight choke. So, I can not confirm your theory.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes gunfit 101 I’m aware thank you. My questions purpose is To find A viable solution to minimize this Thanks to all whom provided answers

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I dont think the OP is referring to the top barrel of the o/ recoiling different than the bottom barrel of the o/u.

As I read it he is comparing the bottom barrel of his o/u to the top single (single barrel). If this is the case, the o/u regardless of top or bottom barrel should be softer due to the extra weight.

That being said, I have a MX15 unsingle. Bought a MX10 top single to dabble with. The top single surprising felt like it had less recoil. I was shocked because I had always though unsingles were softer shooting than top singles. Then I realized the top single barrel actually weighed more.

Bottom line - if you want to reduce recoil, ADD WEIGHT!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts