Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of MX8 30” O/U barrels that needs the side ribs repaired or replaced. I have never had to deal with this problem and does anyone have any recommendations on where to get them repaired.

Thanks in advance
Jskolar1

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
I would recommend Giacomo’s, they did mine, had a 1 year warranty, that was last century and a heck of lot of shells ago. Still as good as the day I got the barrels back.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
J - I am shooting a set of 34" MX10 barrels that Giacomo repaired the side ribs(according to prior owner).

They shoot where they should. They are pinned and looks like epoxied. The pins aren't perfect but like I said,appear to be fixed and function fine.

But....Phillip can do ANYTHING. I wouldn't hesitate to have him fix. Laibs in MN is also more than capable.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Phillip's fixed two of my old gun's ribs. Top and sides.
He definitely got my vote. The most honest gunsmith out there, never sell you anything you don't need.
Every time I had to ask him, Are you sure this is all I needed?

Just two months ago, I referred a friend to Phillip's, he got the gun back with an invoice that's way less than he was quoted, he call me to ask if this ever happened, sure it did.
Then he called Phillip, insist the invoice wasn't right. Phillip said that's all the gun needed, no mistake.

I'm not against Giacomo, the work is also very good under the new management, but not as good as the old Giacomo, and it'll cost a lot more. A lot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have used both Giacamo and Phillip and they are both good. Giacamo did a O/U Perazzi barrel that I wanted the sideribs taken off and the barrel reblued...it came out perfect. Phillip has done release triggers for me and they also were perfect. Would agree Giacamo pricing is higher in some cases depending on what you have done.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I promised myself that I would stick up for Giacomo the first chance I got so here it goes. My gun broke 3days before a satellite grand and they fit me in the day before the shoot to help me out. They did a bang up job and saved me $100 on a part that was brand new but taken off another gun and traded in. I stood there and talked with Dan while he did the work and walked out an hour latter a happy guy. They treated my me great.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Enjoy your side rib issues guys I was so pissed after 4 attempts to fix and another set of barrels doing the same I bought a Kolar and haven’t looked back. No way a set of barrels should ever leave any shop in that condition period..
Want to talk about great service I think Kolar has really set the bar very high and the pricing is very reasonable.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Is there any danger in removing the side ribs and shooting without. I mean you look at the MT6 they don’t have side ribs. I know nothing about this just curious

1 - 17 of 17 Posts