Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guy in our bunker club offered me a still tight MX8 "B" /w 29.5 mini step rib bbls. Originally came with Perazzi chokes bottom bbl and fixed full top bbl but original owner had Briley thread top bbl (prefer fixed but oh well). It comes with two adjustable stocks (one with Softouch which isn't competition-legal so not interested), case, choke tubes, and some other stuff.

Did some of these guns originally come with step ribs like you see on the old MX8's? Next time I'll check if bbls match receiver #'s. I want to make sure the barrels are in the 1.5 kg range and 18.4mm bores. Shot gun a couple of times a couple of weeks ago and did well. Second round in the 20's.

What do you Perazzi guys think? Member Steve B has given me some info already but I always pick everyone's brain when $$$ is involved.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
most of these came without side ribs, were not a big seller. Primarily a pigeon gun. Usually with flat rib.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't think MX-8B ever made with step rib.

Quote:
Member Steve B has given me some info already but I always pick everyone's brain when $$$ is involved.
Unquote.

Did you mean Steve W instead of Steve B? I know he was the only one that gave me a straight answer when I asked the same question 20 years ago. And I bought his MX-8B.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep, that'd be him.

Thanks for letting me know. You see, I'm not trying to be picky with the gun I want but I'm young and don't make a whole lot of money to begin with. This is why I want to "buy once - cry once" and pick up a gun that's 100% geared towards int'l trap. I refuse to compromise for that amount of money. When I first started shooting int'l I had a sporting gun with heavier 32" bbls and they just didn't work well for me. I shoot much better with livelier guns such as the old SO4 Trap's, MX8's, etc. Some guys in our club shoot well with a heavier gun but they tend to be larger in stature. My current gun is a 425 Trap that's mostly found on the European market and comes with fixed imp/mod - full chokes, lighter 30" bbls /w 18.4mm bores, etc. so it's made for int'l and works well for me. And there isn't anything wrong with my current gun but I'd just like something else to shoot with from time to time. I actually shoot quite well with it.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
I'd pass on any gun with Brileys but would just be me

Reactions: RickN

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'd pass on any gun with Brileys but would just be me
I'm actually in the same boat as you but if the deal is good then I could make that one compromise... maybe...! I'm all about the KISS mentality - the less shit there is - the less shit there is to go wrong! Fixed chokes and non-selectable triggers for me.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could somebody give me some insight on SO4 Trap's? I shot my buddies the other day and fell in love with it immediately; everything about it just felt right and I shot it very well. If I could find an unmolested 30" gun /w fixed chokes I'd pick that over the Perazzi without a doubt. I'm sure spare parts would be an issue, though.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
SO's are not used in big time international. Across the pond they have a rep for cracking in the wrist but that is pure hearsay on my part. Personally I really like the things but I have avoided them for no reason other than the sidelocks - Like I just don't feel I need that added complexity to deal with. And - if it needs any repair there might be maybe two people in the country that you could reliably trust it to. Again - that would just be me.

Perazzis are a designed for and dedicated to competition guns. They were never anything else. Difficult to beat that concept IMO which may be why they dominate and have dominated international for some time. But, that would just be me too hahaha

Reactions: anti

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right man... Everybody has told me the same thing about the sidelock design complicating things and making it difficult to cut a stock for it. I think a nice, used Perazzi is probably the way to go for me. I'd consider a Zoli but I'd have to shoot a few rounds with it first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts