Trapshooters Forum banner

MX2G...Rem 1100-87 parts gun... F/S

2312 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  JACK
Perfect SC stock, $175, Perfect SC Receiver with bolt $275, wonderful .730 bore bbl with Skeet choke $165, Great Timney All steel release with rare gold trigger blade $300. Forend is a "I do not know". But I believe it was sanded off and is in great working order. $75. Jack Send me a PM

Shipping incl
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Vendor
20,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question Brian. Never heard of such a thing. It is a 26" bbl.. $145 shipped now.

· Registered
25,339 Posts
MIA, pardon me for getting long winded and detailed. But here's the scoop on your gun.

A standard 1100/1187 mag tube is 11.5" long, measured from the face of the receiver to the end of the tube.

The 1187 Sporting Clays model had a shorter mag tube and forend. These mag tubes were approximately two inches shorter, so the mag tube as measured above should be around 9.5" long.

I'm pretty sure from counting how many vent slots there on on the rib that your barrel is one slot short for a standard gun. Therefore, given the Sporting Clays name, it should have the short mag tube.

Here's the good news. The barrel hanger (properly called the gas chamber) is in the same location as any other 1187. So this barrel will fit other 1187s and this gun should accept any other 1187 barrel, notwithstanding the issue of the light contour vs standard contour barrel, of course.

Here's the bad news. That forend is difficult to find. My advice is that it should be sold with the action.. Whoever buys that action is going to rue the day they did if the forend does not come with it.

If they can't find a Sporting Clays forend they'll have to take a normal length forend and cut it to length, then shape the end to match. This will put the cut into the checkering for most 1187 forends. (There is a possibility that this forend got such treatment, and the checkering was sanded off as a result.)

The original Sporting Clays model also had a light contour barrel. If that one says Light Contour on it, then it's probably original to the gun. If it is a standard barrel, probably not. And someone would have had to open the forend up to accept it. This would not be an issue because a light contour barrel will work in a standard forend.

The whole purpose of shortening the forend and using a light contour barrel was to make the gun more lively for sporting clays. It does save a little weight and it swings more like a 20ga. Relatively few of these guns were made, and they don't grow on trees.

The only lighter 12ga 1187 variations were the 1196 Euro model, which also had a short forend but also had the back of the receiver milled for more weight reduction, and the Upland model with short mag tube, English stock and 23" light contour barrel. In fact, if someone wanted to make a 12ga Upland model this would be the platform to start with. And with a light contour barrel it would also make a bit lighter trap gun without having to resort to a 20ga. 30" light contour barrels are still around.

· Vendor
20,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info Brian. I will take your advice and send the forend to the receiver buyer. Thanks a lot for taking the time to illustrate and help me an others come to a proper decision.

Jack

Bbl and receiver have been sold to different TS.comers

· Vendor
20,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BBL and recvr w/forend. are on the way..

Stock is avail. Stock is perfect and unaltered. A SC stock.

$100 shipped

· Registered
868 Posts
I believe 1100 sporting only come 28" and the 1187 sporting came 28 or 30" with
low glare , not matte finish. This barrel must be from a field special purpose
model? The choke tube was definitely an early 1187 sporting tube.

· Vendor
20,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lugnatz. Ok, "Low Glare". Actually, I like the finish a lot.

· Vendor
20,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
someone please buy the timney trigger. $250 and the stock is orig. NO mods, no mars

· Vendor
20,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tony. Sorry I missed this earlier. I['ll do that today

Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.