Trapshooters Forum banner

What barrels to buy for an mx2000sb?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first Perazzi not long ago, about a week or so ago. Love the gun, well balanced, points well and what not. Got an mx2000 unsingle only gun with the lower rib. Now I am in search of a set of double barrels. Have been doing alot of research across the web, seems like a set of mx8, mx2000/3 or mx2000/10 or RS models will fit the bill. Now is my question for Perazzi owners, will a fixed rib mx8 barrel shoot somewhat high, around 90-100%? The mx2000/3 is a sporting clays oriented barrel to my understanding and adjustable with 3 notches ranging from 50/50 to 90/10 IIRC. The 4 notch barrels have a much higher rib built for the stock and match to single barrel, but will work with different comb height I'd assume. I do not have a comb cut at the moment but should be taken care of shortly. Just wanted to reach out to others to see what to do.
Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have the same gun. After talking to Dan Bonillas at Perazzi and Giacomo gun smiths at the grand, I bought a MX 8 o/u barrel. I have my gun set up to shoot pretty flat. If you want it to shoot high you are on the search for a 3 notch o/u. Good luck, they are very difficult to find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did the same thing as you. Bought an MX-2000 Un Single and then purchased a 3 notch 32" set of barrels for doubles. They match up very well. Giacomo's fitted them at the Grand and even stamped them consecutively with my un single to make it a pseudo combo set. There was a used set of 3 notch barrels on one of the shotgun forums not too long ago. Brad

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses
Max'sdad any idea on what you have for a POI? Ive been considering the 3notch greatly since the ribs would "match" the best from what my research is telling me.

Still suprised no one has chosen shoot an 870 for doubles option haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is set up about 70/30. I really like the balance and feel of the barrels. I did send them to Briley to have thin wall chokes put in them. Brad

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Trapp, you did not provide enough information to get an accurate response. There are several factors that go into the equation. One is barrel length. Another is rib height. A third is what POIs you prefer for singles and doubles.

The MX-15 rib height matches up to an MX-8 trap and MX-14. Your MX-2000 is the next height up. It does not exactly match anything, but the 2000S 3-notch comes closest. Even if it was a perfect match height-wise, you POIs will be different if your barrel length are different. A "typical" Perazzi combo is a 34/32. The "32" inch barrels are actually 31.5" long. If you do not adjust your comb, the 31.5 barrels will shoot to a higher POI that the 34" barrel. You probably don't want that for doubles. Unless you shoot both birds extremely quickly, a high POI is a handicap for the second shot. By high I mean anything over 80/20.

So, if you want your POIs to be all the same, and the O/U barrels are going to be shorter than the unsingle, you want a higher rib. MX-10/2000RS barrels are the next higher rib. Next higher are the MX-10/MX-2000/10 barrels. I know all this because I learned the hard and expensive way.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Determining what POI's you need on doubles, and then getting the desired "look down the rib" can be evasive. Many times, you don't know what you need till you've shot for quite some time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts