Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at older MX 8 trap guns. I like the case hardened guns. Not being a Perrazzi expert, what questions should I ask?
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
580 Posts
I also like the old case colored guns and own several. Most of these guns are Type 3 and do not have the tightening bolts in the forearm. The Type 3 forearms can crack if the mounting screws are not kept tight and heavy loads have been shot, so you should check forearm for cracks. Other than that, if the top lever is right of center and the gun locks up tight, it should be ok. One other item to check is the condition of the firing pin holes on the receiver face. They can become elongated after many, many rounds. You also should check the bores and chokes with a bore gauge to make sure of what you are getting.

·
Banned
193 Posts
I think with the old ones always check the ribs. it seems if they were used a lot they would always be loose back at the mono block area

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ask if it's a Type 3 or Type 4 gun. The main difference would be the forearm attachment and how the forearm wood is held on as described above. The Type 4 is more desirable because of the reduced chance of forearm wood cracking, and because newer Perazzis all use Type 4 forearms, so if you ever want to buy a spare barrel or swap one on, you'll be able to. I'd also look at MX3 Specials and any other used square monobloc, type 4 Perazzi with removable triggers in good condition.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
The forearm cracking is true but rarely does a forearm fail completely. I have had a type 3 for thirty years with well over 225,000 rounds through it without a forearm failure.

Don't overlook the older Competition Perazzis. Most were case colored guns and are the basic platform of the MX8.

There have been a few for sale here and I've seen some that still have most of their color because they haven't been shot a lot. The greatest difference between the Competition and the MX8 is the top rib. The Competition's is lower and most shoot flatter than the MX8.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
The forearm cracking is true but rarely does a forearm fail completely. I have had a type 3 for thirty years with well over 225,000 rounds through it without a forearm failure.
Ditto.

I had couple type III forearm wood with cracks in them for over 20 years and nothing ever failed

Here's one crack that ran the whole length between the irons, we shot it for 10 years like this and nothing ever happened.

Wood crack .JPG

Reactions: Don Rackley

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I just traded Gene Sears Supply in El Reno my comp 1 back up gun. Gun looks like it just came out of box. All serial numbers but trigger match, trigger has coil springs.
I don't think you will find a nicer one and it is priced right. 405 262 2647 ask for Garland or Gene

Buster

·
Vendor
2,067 Posts
Wasn't there also some differences in the top lever?
Barry and Steve have added valuable info above!

Sundown,
Good question, yes, there was one big difference in the top lever.

The Type3 and early Type4 guns had the hole in the toplever and a spring and two pins that held the top lever to the right when the gun was opened. Top levers I currently get from Italy have the holes for the top lever parts I mentioned. I also stock the toplever pin and trip pin.

All other receiver and trigger parts for the gun above are still made available by Giuliani and I stock them here in the USA. Forearm parts for the Type3 guns are very scarce, the good news is Barry and Steve have outlined the risks.

Bluegoose (and others) if you would like my summary of pre-purchase Perazzi inspection times, PM me your email address and I will send it to you, it's a 1 page PDF file.

Don

·
Registered
388 Posts
John Allem had a Case Hardened MX 8 at the PA State Shoot. I shot it and it was a good gun. It had 32 inch barrels at FULL and FULL. It looked almost new. Call him and see if they still have it.

Allem's Guncraft ?

Website
Directions
Gun Shop

Address: 7937 Sigmund Rd, Zionsville, PA 18092
Phone: (215) 679-9016

·
Registered
686 Posts
The case hardened MX8's are great guns. The type 3 guns are good and as mentioned the firing pin holes might be worn after 250,000 rounds, but are most likely fine. The early top leavers are not as strong as the more modern ones, which can be easily fitted by a good gunsmith when required. I have a type 3 which I have owned for 25 years and shot a lot. It has .024 choke in the under barrel and originally was extra full in the top barrel, but the previous owner had it opened up to .032. It will break a 27 yard target very well.
Will last you a life time.
Devonian

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
All things considered, a well kept type III MX8 is a great buy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts