Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just bought a new 50 caliber CVA Wolf muzzleloader. He has read the instruction book and has followed the break-in and cleaning instructions. His CVA barrel is recessed at the muzzle to help guide and stabilize the bullet when it is pushed further into the barrel.

The problem he is having is getting the 295 grain Powerbelt bullet loaded. He says he is using the starter bullet tool but he can't get the bullet to load without a tremendous amount of pressure on the tool. He has verified that he's using 50 caliber bullets.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is and what the solution is?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I have always used Sabits with a 45 cal bullet. It works well. Your friend might want to try putting a light coating of muzzle loader grease on the base of the bullet and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The barrel should be clean and dry. A follow up shot will always load harder than the first......but it does take considerable force to seat the bullet.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My experience wants the gun clean, have you tried Hornady One Shot, muzzleloader cleaner. It might be a help. Your gun should not load hard with powerbelts. Something not being disclosed. There are other products as well.
Clean that gun ,EH !!!

Joe Woods/Ontario

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Get some Bore Butter. It is made for this very issue. I always used T/C Sabot bullets in my .50 cal. These are .45 caliber made for .50 cal muzzleloaders.

A dab of the Bore Butter on the bullet and it will slide right in much easier.
grntitan_2009_2503318.jpg

·
Registered
452 Posts
First make sure gun is compleatly cleaned usually have to boil it out with hot soapy water. Next make sure gun compleatly dry,then run cal patches saturated with good muzzleloader cleaner,not a rifle cleaner like hoppes. then run 2-3 dry patches through it. next run lubed patches with bore butter or m7 made by T/C only lightly lube ur barrel. Like was mentioned before here not eneough info,power belt bullets should load with ease in a clean gun no need to lube base. Beni

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Today was the last day of our gun season. Many use muzzle loaders, and nearly all the TC guys bitched about how hard it is to load after the first shot. Most try to find a tree to prop their rod aganist. 50 cal, 250 gr shockwave with yellow sabot.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Starting a bullet was always a little hard but you get used to it.

A 240 grain Hornady EXP .429 cal bullet in a green sabot worked for me in my .50 TC Hawken. I carried a bullet starter just in case. I also carried three quick loads each with 90 grains of measured Pyrodex RS, a bullet and sabot and a RWS primer cap.

I always used Bore Butter. It worked fine so I never tried anything else.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
167 Posts
The bullet should not be that hard to load. I shoot 245 grn power belts in my encore using American Pioneer clean shot powder. I clean with TC no. 13 and finish with bore butter. This combo is very successful.
My Nephew bought a CVA Wolf and shot some White hot pellets, after 3 shots he could no longer seat the bullet. White Hot recommended cleaning after each 3 shots. I would be cautious of pellets. Goodluck with your rifle.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I use a T/C omega 3 pellets and a Barnes spitfire TMZ bullet sabot combo. I carry a few patches lightly lubed with bore butter,in the field after a shot I run 1 of those lubed patches first then reload no problem, again a powerbelt bullet should load rather easy in a clean gun beni

·
Registered
174 Posts
garry,
Sounds to me like your friend has the wrong size ammo. The first thing he should do is get rid of the sabots and get some round ball and patches. The bore may be fouled and if so cleaning obviously will help. If he uses windshield washer fluid, or other similar cleaners, don't drop powder until the bore has been "properly" dred. Use a patch or two with rubbing alchohol to displace any oils or liquids. Regardless, the loading should not be that difficult. At an average shoot we can get as many as 25-30 shots witout using no more than a damp patch once or twice. We are shooting traditional style Ml's, not inlines.
Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts