Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bullet and sabot combo do you shoot and what kind of powder, primers and gun do you shoot?? Also what kind of group can you put together at 100 yards? Im having trouble finding an accurate load for my savage ml-10. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
20,275 Posts
I use a 230 gn round lead ball, .535 diameter wrapped in a .015 pillowticking patch lubed with Bear grease over 115 gn. of fffg ignited with a Remington #11 percussion cap. At 175 yards a 3 round group fired at an X drawn on a Cedar shingle has all 3 holes touching. A nice cloverleaf.

Don T

·
Registered
14,688 Posts
250gr TC Shockwave with the yellow sabot. I've had good luck with a 240 Gr XP pistol bullet as well, but you need the right sabot.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I have a stainless steel 50-caliber Thompson/Center Omega and our son has a T/C Encore. Both rifles prefer the 250-grain Hornady SST/ML bullet and sabot over three pellets of Triple Se7en sparked by a standard Federal 209A shotgun primer. My gun shoots 1.372" three-shot 100-yard groups at 2,130fps while his is equally accurate but he never chronographed it. We both tried numerous bullet/sabot combinations with Triple Se7en and Pyrodex. The loads with Pyrodex clocked a little faster in my gun - 2,190fps - but the groups opened roughly an inch to 2.140".

I also tried the Hornady bullet/sabot combo with just two pellets of both propellants and oddly the accuracy was not as good as with three.

It's strange that you would be experiencing accuracy problems with an ML-10 as they are very highly regarded rifles. I shoot with a guy who burns smokeless powder in his with great success. It's nice that the gun affords you that option but not being able to see your target for a few seconds after firing at it is part of the muzzleloader experience!

Ed

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
80 grains of Pyrodex (R) and round ball .490" diameter with a .010 pillow tick patch lubed with half lard and half bore butter #11 percussion cap---

5 shot group at 100 yards under 2 inches coming out of the TC Hawken

Chuck

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
HPH12 Sabot, 240 gr. XTP, 43 gr. SR 4759 second choice or

Knight Sabot, 250 T/C PTX, 41.5 gr VV N110. sub 1" groups @ 100 yds. 1st. choice

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Bill, the ML-10 can use black powder, black powder substitutes OR smokeless powder.

Ed

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I use the same load as Flashmax except for 110 gr of FFFg and RWS caps.

In Idaho you can't use sabots, shotgun primers, pelletized powder, covered ignition, or scope sights in a muzzleloader season. Primitive means primitive!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, I did order the mmp sabots last night but I cant decide on a bullet. I think having the right sabots will do the trick though. I will look into the bullets you guys are suggesting. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill thats why I bought the ml-10 is to shoot smokeless powder, its so much cleaner, in Iowa pretty much anything goes with a muzzelloader. I have always wanted them to put together a primative season during the rut, that will never happen though. I shoot 44gr. Of accurate 5744.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have just done lots of testing with a TC Encore Endeavor 50 cal. It really likes the 250 gr Shockwaves. With 2 or 3 pellets, it didn't matter what brand, would shoot 2-2 1/2" all day. On recommendation, I tried Buckhorn 209 powder. It instantly cut the groups in half. With a crap trigger (over 15#), it will shoot 1" 1 1/2" groups. I tried 100 grains & then jumped up to 105. Light recoil, MV @ 1900, & no cleaning after each shot. The powder is a little costly at $40/pound. After hunting season, sending the receiver out for some trigger work. It can only get better. Butch from Pgh

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I've got 50cals but my favorite is my TC Black Diamond stainless in 45mag caliber...its a 1/20 fast twist gun...I use 150gr of Triple 7 loose and a 235gr .375cal in a MMP high pressure sabot..almost 2300fps Fed209A primers..accuracy is phenomenal right at 1" using a 2x-7x Leupold scope and a tuned trigger....I can get the 200gr .358s a little faster but the accuracy is not as good as the 375 slug..2" groups still aint bad though and things die fast that get in the way

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is why im looking for something more accurate, I know this gun and myself are capable of sub 1 MOA. Has anyone ever shot the 225 grain .451 Barnes expander? Its 100% copper and designed for the 45 long colt. I really like the Barnes bullets for a sabot round for the 12 ga. They are destructive to say the least. MMP has this bullet listed on its site as one of many suggested bullets, I didn't see this section of their website last night. Is 225gr to light? I used to shoot 250gr shockwave with good results from my old Muzzelloader.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The savage ML2 is designed to shoot the 300GR bullet try 458di in mmp orange sabot.Mine loves 250GR XTP 452di with 34.5 grains of 2400 but I have yet to see another that liked it.

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
Loads in above post are for my 10MLII. I started out using 4227 but Savage does not list that powder any more in the new manuaql that comes with gun. With looser fitting sabot/bullet combos there were a lot of misfires.

I tried 225 gr. bullets but didn't have any luck. I don't think they are long enough on the side that contacts the sabot to stabilize the bullet.

My newest Savage would noy shoot the pre packed PTX bullets with the red sabots. I went to Knight or MMP's both seem to work well.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok after careful consideration this is going to be the load I will try next:

a Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullet, MMP black Sabot, Winny 209, and 44gr of Accurate 5744.

Whats everyone think?

·
Registered
123 Posts
looks like a good one to try. once you find a load that works you will have a 250 yard muzzleloader. But stick to 250-300 gr 452-458 diameter

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
MMP makes an HPH 12 & an HPH 24 sabot. SOme shoot one better than the other. I have sold well over 50 10 ML rifles in my shop and it seems like most like a different load including, sabot, ammount of powder and bullet. It takes a little experminting to get the best load for your gun.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yoteslayer,
I've been using one of these for over 10yrs now and have found a number of powders and bullets that will work very well. Have several local buddies using them too and the one common component we all use is the Hornady 300gr SST bullet. Depending on your barrel, use that and either the MMP HPH12 or HPH24 sabot and you will be well on your way to good accuracy. The 300gr SST will hold together well and drop deer in their tracks from any range or shot angle. Doug's forums are a wealth of good info about the rifle and loads for it, strongly suggest a look over there. For powder, the ones like N110, 4759 and 5744 will get you started and were/are suggested on the manual. Others like myself who want more velocity have gravitated towards slower powders not listed in the book but have proven very reliable and safe, as pressure testing was done and shown on those forums.
I've never had any luck with the Barnes TMZ bullets in any of mine. The Hornady 300gr SST, Barnes 300gr original soft point and the Hornady .458" 300gr HP have been the best for accuracy. I would also suggest using Fed 209A or CCI 209M primers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts