Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Targets in my picture were retrieved from flooded target drop zone during raining season in Los Angles.
The one on the right had multiple hits with two holes on it, but didn't break.
I have seen two holes, but never three, any of you guys seen it?

Target holes.png

·
Supporting Vendor
10,241 Posts
Those are White Flyer targets, all things considered, they break better than any target on the market. I would suspect that the rubber on the throwing arm isn't giving the clay enough spin.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Could be the moisture level of the targets. They soak up moisture just setting in the machines waiting to be thrown.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I've picked up at least 2 federal champion targets with 11 holes punched clean through them with multiple more marks where shot hit the target and bounced/deflected off. It takes more than just a couple shot to break a target. BYG

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Targets in my picture were retrieved from flooded target drop zone during raining season in Los Angles.
The one on the right had multiple hits with two holes on it, but didn't break.
I have seen two holes, but never three, any of you guys seen it?

View attachment 300336
Saw quite a few with as many as 6 and 7 holes in them and not a piece missing. Ask anyone who shot the Nebraska State shoot two years ago. Seems as though White Flyer had a problem with a different pitch supplier after the one they were using had a major fire. Hope I never have to shoot anymore of those and I do like White Flyers.

Steve

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good information. Now I know some of my 24s are actually 25s. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Yes! Trapshooting does involve some shooter skill for sure; however, winning scores do depend on good fortune (luck) that the shots will break the target in such a way that a visible piece of the target can be seen. Haven't we all seen targets "dusted" but scored as "lost"... and how many unbroken targets with holes in them as shown here occur in every competition? Skill AND luck determine winners.... Regards....

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
When the White Flyer bio targets were being thrown locally it was not uncommon to find birds with multiple holes and scrapes etc that were on the hard ground, still unbroken. Since the change back to the regular birds about 2 years ago I have not seen any...... Larry

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
You can walk the field at most clubs and find targets with multiple hits but unbroken and do this even where the ground is relatively hard made up of broken targets. Take note that those targets not only didn't break in the air, they didn't break when they hit ground whereas the majority of missed targets break when they hit the ground. My conclusion is, knowing that targets can be broken by a single pellet, random targets come out of the manufacturing process much tougher than spec. Why this is I don't know but it seems obvious from the evidence.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Steve, we see this all of the time in Nor-Cal with any of the clubs that are throwing the White Flyer "BIOS". Some of the local clubs are trying the Northwest targets out of Oregon. They are pitch targets and smoke black, not white. They are not as brightly painted as the White Flyers but they fly good and break better than the Bios. Bill Hom

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Steve, we see this all of the time in Nor-Cal with any of the clubs that are throwing the White Flyer "BIOS". Some of the local clubs are trying the Northwest targets out of Oregon. They are pitch targets and smoke black, not white. They are not as brightly painted as the White Flyers but they fly good and break better than the Bios. Bill Hom
I picked up a lot of the old Remington targets that up to 6 holes in them.

jack mc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts