Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the discussion about an auto for doubles, which is what I do. I have a 391 Teknys, before I bet $100 + I wanted to hear from people who might have used one. What can my fellow shooters tell me about the Multicatch?

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I'm pretty much one of several experts on the MultiCatch. I was involved in testing changes and modifications over a couple years. At one point I had it working to where I could shoot 30 or 40 pairs without a malfunction. The malfunction was the hull not fully extended in the rails and getting caught in the chamber by the returning bolt. When that occurs, you have to clear the hull, and of course re-shoot the pair. I didn't shoot doubles events for that reason - though I did shoot registered sporting clays events. If you reload or have to police your empties and want to use it for practice it's worth the cost. A fast moving doubles squad shooting registered doubles, well maybe not the best idea.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
I've never seen or heard of anyone using one besides Dick.

The problem is no 2 shells are exactly the same. If one shell is 1200 fps, @ 10,000 psi (just for round numbers), and the next shell is 1190 fps and 9,500 psi, bolt speed and the ejection force of the hull will be slightly different. This is evidenced by the fact that for every shot you take, the hull doesn't fall in EXACTLY the same place every time.

It seems like with the multi-catch, so many things have to go right and be absolutely perfect every time, when its pretty much guaranteed that that is impossible.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
The only advantage to shooting an auto for doubles is being able to bounce your empties off your opponent. HMB

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
There was one major change that made the MultiCatch work. It involved replacing the 391 ejector with a 303 ejector. When I made that change it made all the difference. It worked with light and heavy shells, 1 ounce and 1 1/8-but I only used new steel based shells. That ejector is, I believe, supplied with new units.
I no longer shoot a 391 so I haven't used my MultiCatch for over a year. They have to be installed correctly, but are not sensitive to
the shells used because I tested them with a lot of different shells.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I borrowed a Teknys for a while...planning on buying one and installing a catcher.

It was the deciding factor not to go that route...Tooo many distractions.

If you have to reload like me, an auto is not the way to go...but the Tekny's reduced recoil and quick barrel speed SURE was nice. The Teknys shot "lights out" for me...when I wasn't distracted.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a multicatch complete, as new, I will sell for $50.00 plus $5.00 shipping. It is not reliable enough for me on my gun. Though, it is easily removed for registered shooting. There is a modification to your gun mentioned on the website to improve function. Maybe that is the same mentioned by dickgtax above.

If interested PM me. I will send my phone and email for additional discussion if you like.

Bill Penn

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have shot doubles for 40 years and seen several shell catchers come and go. I have never seen one that is reliable enough to shoot registered doubles with.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I was at the 2012 Indiana state championship. The practice traps were in front of the clubhouse and there were a long row of benches filled with shooters and spectators. I was
shooting practice doubles with my 391 and the MultiCatch attached. When I finished I saw people getting off the benches from one end to another and heading toward me. It looked like a scene from Night of the Living Dead. They were clearly fascinated by an auto that wasn't chucking empties. The four jams I had in 60 pairs was proof that the MultiCatch works, but not good enough to shoot the doubles event. And though a lot of people were interested in the way it works, no one asked where to buy one. The reason is that nobody I saw was shooting an auto in the doubles championship.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I don't remember the name.. but when I was shooting my 1100 for all events. I purchased a shell catcher that would catch the second hull 100% of the time. I simply used throw away hulls for the first shot, and good hulls on the second so I saved half.

It had a wire that you flipped down so the first shell would fly.. and trip the wire to come up and catch the second. I'm sure someone here will remember the name.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts