Trapshooters Forum banner

Muller Chokes - Heavier Loads

1278 17
I mainly shoot games, so not really looking for a debate on load size, but just curious if anyone has experience shooting heavy loads through the Muller Featherlites? They recommend 1 1/8 loads with 7-9 shot. I like the U3's for trap, but I do shoot some 1 1/4's for backups and shoot offs. Anybody have any negative experiences (poor patterns, damage, etc) shooting heavier loads?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
13,498 Posts
You should research the Muller Aluminum chokes here on TS.com. It seems they have a rather high failure rate. They tend to split up the sides. Sometimes they just fly out the end of the barrel. Other times they damage the barrel when they come apart. Now you start a thread wanting to shoot 1 1/4 oz. load out of one of these chokes!!!
May I suggest you find another choke to shoot your heavy loads out of. Good Luck on your Journey. break em all Jeff

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should research the Muller Aluminum chokes here on TS.com. It seems they have a rather high failure rate. They tend to split up the sides. Sometimes they just fly out the end of the barrel. Other times they damage the barrel when they come apart. Now you start a thread wanting to shoot 1 1/4 oz. load out of one of these chokes!!!
May I suggest you find another choke to shoot your heavy loads out of. Good Luck on your Journey. break em all Jeff
Thanks, Jeff! I appreciate the feedback. I definitely don’t want to do any damage to my gun. I shot Muller’s out of a different gun previously. Just ordered one for this gun and saw the warning. Didn’t remember seeing that warning before. Sounds like I might be best to send it back.

· Registered
379 Posts
Shot muller’s for five years never a problem.
More of a case what somebody heard then what was seen.
I have 14 Muller chokes that I have shot in 8 different guns over the last 10 years. Never had a problem with any of them. Maybe I'm just lucky. I understand that there were some problems with some of the earlier ones.

· Registered
310 Posts
Yep. I had 15 Muller’s for Berettas and Brownings, and have shot them for many years. Now, I’m down to 14 Muller’s after one of my Beretta U3’s cracked through the threads last week. I knew something was up when it took pliers, penetrating oil, and some serious TLC to get the choke tube out of the barrel. I have personally seen this happen with another Beretta, and my buddy’s K80. I really like Jimmy’s chokes, but they absolutely DO have cracking issues, especially in the Beretta Optima barrels (he no longer sells Featherweights in that configuration for that reason).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.