Trapshooters Forum banner

Mueller chokes vs Briley vs Others

12268 31
What's the consensus on Mueller chokes? Are they any better than Briley or other competitors? I bought my gun years ago & it included a mixed bag of chokes from various companies. I've shot them all noticing little difference but I shoot often with guys sold on Mueller.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
13,498 Posts
What's the consensus on Mueller chokes?
They have had a number of there Aluminum Chokes blow apart over the years in a persons shotgun barrel. Ruining not only the choke, but the end of the shotguns barrel in many cases!!! Not all of there chokes have done this. The actual number, or percentage of there chokes doing this should be on the low side. But the fact remains that Muller knows of this problem, and does nothing about it. If you look at Briley's aluminum chokes. Briley will tell you, they mix antimony in with the aluminum, to make their Aluminum Chokes Stronger. I personally have never had one of Mullers chokes blow apart on me. The reason for this is that I will never place one of there chokes in any of my shotguns. I will stick with factory chokes, or Briley's. Nothing else will go in my shotguns barrels. If you want/need a lighter choke in your shotgun. Stick with Titanium chokes. Titanium may cost a bit more, but it is a much stronger metal to start with.

If you have Muller chokes in your shotgun. You may want to check your chokes regularly for splits up the sides!!! This is how they start, before they come apart. break em all jeff

· Registered
138 Posts
Chokes are only part of the equation. I know guys that swear by them and guys that swear by Briley, Teague, Carlson, Extreme, etc.. You already know that. It is my understanding they don't get as dirty, but you have to be super careful when you clean them. Guys say they can just put in a U2(?) or whatever and not worry about it but when you look at it, it's similar to a L-Mod (or equivalent of ?).

I think their biggest advantage is that there are only a few size options so guys spend more time focusing on the target and less about what choke they are using.

wg

· Registered
181 Posts
I had a bad experience with a Muller choke. I wish I still had the photo. I can only describe what happened, choke split & was hanging off the end of the barrel, about 1 third was still inside. It came out easy, no damage to the barrel. Will I use them again? no. For that matter I sold 3 other tubes that I had. I have quite a few Brileys, never had a problem. Just my 2 cents worth.

· Premium Member
12,776 Posts
Neil Winston did a lot of pattern testing on a lot of choke tubes. Many different brands.

Dr. Andrew Jones did a lot of pattern testing on a lot of different choke tubes. Probably as many or more than Neil.

I have done a little pattern testing on a handful of choke tubes.

From the perspective of PATTERN performance, a choke tube is a choke tube is a choke tube.

Only two things really matter. Constriction, and shot hardness.

Tighter choke = tighter pattern
Harder shot = tighter pattern

Claims of "evenness" or "better long distance performance" or "spinning the wad" or whatever, are all marketing.

Neil DID say one brand stood out and I think it was the long extended chokes by Kick's or something like that. He said they did pattern slightly tighter than others.

And Neil's testing also indicated that "all else equal," between about 0.036" and 0.046" constriction, there's really no statistically significant difference.

· Registered
796 Posts
Muller chokes are the MOST unreliable choke that you can own.
I have seen them split or breakoff at the muzzle on three different makes of guns and Muller is for sure aware of his problem, so much so that now he has made chokes out of stainless as replacements for the failed aluminum chokes.
I am not sure why you would take a chance on one failing and ruining your barrel or even failing during competition.
Another consideration is that they have been tested for patterns and do not produce patterns that are any better than other know makes such as Briley, etc.
They are light, but if you wish to reduce weight at the muzzle then titainum chokes like Briley, Extreme and Puregold make and are what to use without fear of failure.

CT

· Registered
2,762 Posts
Chokes do the same thing an hour with a sports psychologist would do. Except the psychologist would be worth the price, and they would save you thousands in the future.

· Registered
239 Posts
The Mullers come in stainless steel if you don't want to chance the lighter ones failing. I like them because with the way they are sized I can do with 3 chokes what used to take 4-5 shooting sporting clays. This means less time changing chokes for me. Probably a moot point for skeet or trap. Other advantage is that the Muller chokes can be changed by hand, so no need for a choke wrench.

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Greasewood, You said you have "mixed bag" of chokes, you did not share the constrictions, nor did you tell us what gun you are shooting, the age of the gun you are shooting, what sport you are engaged in, or if you ever shot for the POI or least important - patterns and yardage shot from, The first thing you need to know is the POI. Some guns do not shoot straight and some O/U guns are poorly regulated. Some chokes can change the POI - you need to check the POI with each of your chokes. You also need to use a bore mic and find out the exact constriction of each of your "mixed bag" of chokes - do not trust the labeling. Do yourself a favor and learn about your gun before spending $$. If your gun/choke combination shoots straight (POI), remember that you cannot buy a target with a new choke tube

· Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Tim said it all in his post. I personally have Briley thinwalls - I thought I would notice a weight savings way out on the end of the barrel but I don't think I can actually tell the difference. But in any event the chokes are well made and very durable. I have not had a single issue and they also stay tight, which is a plus. I used to change chokes for singles and caps, but now I just leave the full choke in for everything and crush targets.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts