Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, refinishing the receiver wouldn't be any fun unless I did the stock and fore end too. Made several finish decisions that may be controversial for some here, but I'm liking where it's going so far. High French polish on the unstippled areas and satin over the lighning and stipples.

IMG_20181008_135906.jpg
IMG_20181008_135918.jpg

Before stippling

IMG_20181004_163134.jpg

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have some downtime from shooting due to right and left arm carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve transposition surgeries. So no would be a good time to go through my MT6 mechanically and cosmetically. New springs, action bar, firing pins and bushing the firing pins, plus converting to release/release mechanically. I have also worked out the adjustable point of impact bits mention in another thread and will link to it when I get some pics taken. Link to adjustable POI wedges @ http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/mt6-designed-as-adjustable-barrel-gun.553657/#post-5561377 So far, it is working very well. Cosmetically, being a high volume gun shows a lot of bluing wear, so I'll do some sort of refinish on the receiver and fore end metal. This is where I'd like some input.

I have the striped receiver version which I don't like as much as the case color, but milling the receiver flat would thin it down considerably and require working the monoblock and fore end as well. Unless someone has an idea that leaves me with at least grooves on the receiver sides and bottom. Has anyone seen a treatment to improve the looks of this receiver?

I'm considering working out a stars and stripes motif by filling the grooves with red and polishing the high areas with some sort of blend into the rest of the blued portions of the receiver and trigger guard. Any thoughts? I'm looking for pictures of other guns done in a stars and stripes theme if folks could post them here. Right now, the receiver would have the polished areas, red enameled inlay and Cerokote blue and either enameled or silver inlay stars, and if it doesn't look too gaudy, some gold inlay filling the factory graver lines on the top lever and receiver outlines.

OK, I'm ready for the purists, and honestly, I normally fall into that camp, so feel free to say what you think.

No comments on the cosmetic changes, I like my striped side 6's but to each his own. I would encourage you to replace the lower barrel hammer if you have not done so yet. Both of mine failed and the new hammers from Giacomo look to be a better design. I fitted them both, the recess for the cocking shoe has to be milled/filed to fit but it's a simple task.

-Scot

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A bit more work on the fore end. A bad case of vertigo today or I'd have more done. Note the grip has the figures done but the colors aren't restored.

IMG_20181011_110129.jpg
IMG_20181012_181308.jpg
IMG_20181012_181316.jpg

·
Registered
Perazzi TM1/Perazzi MX8
463 Posts
E32CC4E6-6E82-435A-9056-19C874E99DB4.jpeg
2ECF2451-F13E-41F5-BDD0-7251099493E0.jpeg
I would happily trade or sell my 3200 if I could find a very good condition striped receiver MT6 with factory screw chokes at an afforadable price for a dedicated doubles gun to pair up with my TMS.....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Doug Gray has an excellent one he took in at the Grand if it's still there. Had I the money, it would be mine too.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I was a Gene Sears Supply in El Reno Oklahoma Yesterday they had a nice one for sale. 405 262 2647 ask for Garland Sears.

Buster

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, I finally got the wood good enough for now. I'll make some improvements to it later. The final result used the original cracked forend, the butt of an MX8 G Squared conversion stock, the grip of an MT 6 stock which had been shortened and the comb of another MX8 stock. Color match could be much better and I'll use some colored wax coating to hide a lot of that.

So what's the consensus? Ever seen any like it?

IMG_20181026_124433.jpg
IMG_20181026_124422.jpg

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Receiver looks okay....stock I'm not crazy about. Does the forend iron stand proud, or did you mill it down also? I can't tell in the photos.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The forend iron has a small area that stands out about 1/16" but is really not noticeable, so I decided to leave it. I was fairly pleased with how the case color I did came out, especially for my first try. BTW it is a patina and not heat treat, although it is in and not on top of the metal I put a satin baking lacquer on it to protect it from scratches. Looks just like the real thing. The forend iron and trigger guard are done in Brownell's version of Cerakote in gloss gun metal blue. That stuff is tough. Many reviews show it is tougher than Cerakote. The contrast with the case color looks good to me.

The wood is polarizing. You either like it or you don't. Like I've said before, I was pretty badly burned in 2012 and just got back shooting 2 years ago, so the lightning strike panels have more significance for me than others. I may someday add engraving of a phoenix either on the receiver or make some sideplates. Come to think of it, a gold phoenix inlay on the top lever might be nice.

I'm rebuilding the factory Perazzi case to fit my sub gauge tube set in the lid by increasing the height and adding a hinged panel now. I'm looking for the right vinyl to recover it when finished so it looks stock if you don't notice the extra height. It had a lot of wear and one corner had been dropped and the wood was loose, plus some cuts in the vinyl so it needed repairs and recovering anyway. Yes, I know I could buy a case cheaper than what time and materials are costing, but what's the fun in that?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the input and experience with the MT6. Pretty standard receiver rebuild stuff for higher volume guns and it was priced accordingly. Since I can do the work myself, my time saves some money as I'm sidelined from my normal work and shooting for a bit any way. Also, I'll know exactly what I've got as vs a "new to me" gun.

As to going with an MT6, removeable triggers aren't a big deal for me and external barrel selection is a big plus. Flat shooting for sporting and FITASC is a good thing and it's easier to get a flat gun shooting higher than a high gun shooting flat. The adjustable POI wedge makes it very easy. I shot an ST100 for quite a while as my "one gun does it all" with some success for a while. My current MT6 has a light 1.56kg 32" barrel set which additionally has been bored to 0.745", making for a nice swing. I also have a 34" Baker unsingle for it.

The striped receiver isn't an eyesore but I would like to either make it all blued or nitrided if I can't come up with an interesting custom treatment.
Who did the backbore work and does it have screw in chokes or fixed?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'm not certain of who did the backbore work, although they stopped short of the choke tubes and left 0.005" constriction into the choke tube, presumably to keep the tube from getting caught by the shot column. The last gun I had done, they did this, but I had them take the last bit out as well, and had Seminole make chokes with the correct clearances. So, for now, I'm stuck with Improved cylinder as my most open choke even with the tubes removed. I may have that fixed and new tubes made if I get serious about competition sporting again. Currently, I'm gravitating to FITASC, so open chokes aren't needed. From that above, I'm sure you can tell it's choked tubed.

I finished the releases and will try to get some pics up on how that came out. I couldn't stand the wood color mismatch and currently refinishing the grip and forend.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I think your gun looks freakin' awesome !
No way do I have the patience to do what you've done so far...
Stuff like this makes TS.com why I don't have or want television.

I like the striped 6s. but yours is 1 of a kind, for sure...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts