Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some downtime from shooting due to right and left arm carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve transposition surgeries. So no would be a good time to go through my MT6 mechanically and cosmetically. New springs, action bar, firing pins and bushing the firing pins, plus converting to release/release mechanically. I have also worked out the adjustable point of impact bits mention in another thread and will link to it when I get some pics taken. Link to adjustable POI wedges @ http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/mt6-designed-as-adjustable-barrel-gun.553657/#post-5561377 So far, it is working very well. Cosmetically, being a high volume gun shows a lot of bluing wear, so I'll do some sort of refinish on the receiver and fore end metal. This is where I'd like some input.

I have the striped receiver version which I don't like as much as the case color, but milling the receiver flat would thin it down considerably and require working the monoblock and fore end as well. Unless someone has an idea that leaves me with at least grooves on the receiver sides and bottom. Has anyone seen a treatment to improve the looks of this receiver?

I'm considering working out a stars and stripes motif by filling the grooves with red and polishing the high areas with some sort of blend into the rest of the blued portions of the receiver and trigger guard. Any thoughts? I'm looking for pictures of other guns done in a stars and stripes theme if folks could post them here. Right now, the receiver would have the polished areas, red enameled inlay and Cerokote blue and either enameled or silver inlay stars, and if it doesn't look too gaudy, some gold inlay filling the factory graver lines on the top lever and receiver outlines.

OK, I'm ready for the purists, and honestly, I normally fall into that camp, so feel free to say what you think.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
You can Cerakote the receiver to one color and the groves won't show as much as it's now.
This serves two purpose, makes the groves less noticeable and a much durable finish by very inexpensive way.

Reactions: jlmccuan

·
Registered
31,730 Posts
Feel free to spend your money on a project you feel would make you happy. It is perplexing to spend money like that when there are other Perazzi's out there that have the same attributes as the MT6 such as choke tubes, non removable trigger group and fixed rib, but minus the cut stripes. You might be better off just to buy another Perazzi without the stripes. Nothing to do with purity, just economic reasoning.

In your other post, I wrote about my own experiences with the MT6 when it was introduced in 1976 and I bought one at that time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input and experience with the MT6. Pretty standard receiver rebuild stuff for higher volume guns and it was priced accordingly. Since I can do the work myself, my time saves some money as I'm sidelined from my normal work and shooting for a bit any way. Also, I'll know exactly what I've got as vs a "new to me" gun.

As to going with an MT6, removeable triggers aren't a big deal for me and external barrel selection is a big plus. Flat shooting for sporting and FITASC is a good thing and it's easier to get a flat gun shooting higher than a high gun shooting flat. The adjustable POI wedge makes it very easy. I shot an ST100 for quite a while as my "one gun does it all" with some success for a while. My current MT6 has a light 1.56kg 32" barrel set which additionally has been bored to 0.745", making for a nice swing. I also have a 34" Baker unsingle for it.

The striped receiver isn't an eyesore but I would like to either make it all blued or nitrided if I can't come up with an interesting custom treatment.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I was clicking away from this, when the different, custom struck.

The common finish is blue base with the ridges in the white,

Why not do a hard chrome or robar/mp3 finish with the raised areas blued?

Hard chrome is not damaged by the bluing process, polishing through it does not weaken it the way it will other plating.

Years ago a single-shot target pistol maker did hard chrome frames with the lettering engraved after plating and blued, that was sharp. Although the engraver charged extra to work the part!

Reactions: jlmccuan

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Just goofing around and found a paint stick, so I filled the stripes to judge how they would look. Not terrible. Have to work out how and where for the starfield. View attachment 1113945
Maybe make some screw-on side plates for the stock? Or, I'm not sure it would work, but what if you got a welder and dropped some weld beads in the upper rear corners of the stripes (near the stock side), then machined/polished them flat to make a Union? You could then leave it as-is, or engrave or stamp a bunch of stars (probably really hard), or make one big star (which I think might look cool). I might want to try this on mine someday.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got some grade n52 cube shaped magnets that fit in the slots of the receiver. If I cut a recess in the back side of the side plates, I can just stick them on. These little guys will lift over 2 pounds each so six or eight will grab pretty tight. What mood am I in today? Change them to match.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll update this thread to show what I'm doing finally. Decided the stripes had to go. Still undecided whether to case color or not but looks like sideplates are in this receiver's future now to flush out the fit with the forend iron.

IMG_20180405_182957.jpg

The trigger is now removeable with the removal of on screw without removing the stock as well.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
nice to have a surface grinder handy, looks like a Blaser for now, next you have to buy engraving,
or use a cnc mill to engrave some kind of pattern , maybe MT-6 in huge block letters like the early k80 logo .

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Could you grind an angle into the forend iron to make the edge of the forend iron match the level of the new receiver profile? Doesn't seem like it would be to difficult although I don't know if the forend iron was hardened on them.

You should look in to chemical coloring the metal you can get some really great case colored effects and then automotive clear the receiver which will protect it from rust even greater than blueing.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got around to finishing the rebuild of the CounterCoil. Due to my lack of understanding of how they are put together, I ended up fabricating a new aluminum stock mount, cylinder, piston, valve, and counterspring head. I was able to reuse the piston rod, springs, and pad mount, lol. I ended up with about $600 at my day rate in it, but I learned how to make them and now I can tune the stroke and spring rate as well as control the collapse rate. I don't shoot trap for the money, lol. Still have to finish out the stock and pad mount and replace the hex bolt with a countersunk allen screw for locking the pad positioning cam in the white part.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts