Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 2 MT6 trap guns. Both have a block between the barrels at the tip of the forend. Other MT6s I've seen don't have such a block other than one on a thread here a few months back. At the 2017 Grand I stopped in to ask Giacomo about this as I was considering using a wedge like my ST100 to raise the point of impact for the lower barrel. Before telling him I wanted to wedge the barrels he told me those blocks were to do exactly what I wanted and that the MT6 had been designed with an adjustable barrel set but didn't get sold that way. As he was very busy I didn't want to tie up his time getting exact information about the blocks. Was there a series of the blocks available to wedge the barrels like front hanger guns or was something inserted between the barrels and the block held it in place and does anyone have an idea where to get them? I've wedged business card stock between the lug on the barrel and the other barrel and, in fact, moved the POI from 60/40 to 80/20 but want to go higher.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Since a business card worked well, get it measured and get shim stock a tad thicker to do the same? I had an aluminum two piece made to lower my POI on my set of MT-6 barrels.

HAP

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideally, I could change the block to go from trap to the sporting clays course. 60/40 works very well for me at sporting as I shoot over the barrel. If there aren't blocks I'll make an adjustable wedge that would spread the pressure over a larger segment of the barrels than the tab the block fits around.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still no shooters who have used or know about this feature weighing in on this? I did take off drawings and made a 3d model of the blocks. I'll 3d print a few with various spacings for test fit and function. If those tests go well I can make a full set of blocks. Another question is how far the barrels can be spread.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have modeled and 3d printed a set of blocks ranging from 0.00" of wedge to 0.1875" in 1/16" increments and with the largest wedge it really works well for doubles yielding 100% high for the bottom barrel and 50/50 for the top. I'll duplicate the blocks in aluminum soon and anodize them in different colors to help visually distinguish them without reading small numbers engraved on them.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I would like to see a pic also

·
Registered
31,734 Posts
Still no shooters who have used or know about this feature weighing in on this? I did take off drawings and made a 3d model of the blocks. I'll 3d print a few with various spacings for test fit and function. If those tests go well I can make a full set of blocks. Another question is how far the barrels can be spread.

I do not know about the later MT6 models produced as combos, but my MT6 #100047 which I purchased new in the 70's did not have an adjustable wedge to change the POI. This gun was created for the Montreal 1976 Olympics and was a flat shooting, "live bird gun" not a US trap gun, because it was to be used in the international bunker games in the Olympics.

I remember being disappointed when I obtained the gun at the time through a mail order, because this rumor of the adjustable block or wedge was running wild at that time, which was around 1976. Like all rumors, it was false. I could not shoot the gun because of it's flat POI and no way to raise it. More disappointment was the non removable trigger. The gun did have 5 choke tubes which was a new feature on very few guns at that time. However this time, the adjustable rib and stock was in their infancy.

The right handed stock beat me to death which caused me to drive down to Warsaw MO and have Fajen (Reinhardt) make me a stock to my specs. After I learned how to shoot this gun with my new stock, it was stolen from my house in 1979 along with several other guns. At the time of the theft, I had a buyer lined up at the time to buy the MT6. So to answer your question, no, the original design of the gun did not have an adjustable barrel to change the POI.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Roger Coveleski came up with the fix for my MT-6 barrels. He machined two pieces that matched the barrel ODs and squeezed the bottom barrel up when inserted between the barrels, screws together with small hex head countersunk screws. This lowered the POI exactly as I wanted by pulling up on the bottom barrel!!

HAP

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roger Coveleski came up with the fix for my MT-6 barrels. He machined two pieces that matched the barrel ODs and squeezed the bottom barrel up when inserted between the barrels, screws together with small hex head countersunk screws. This lowered the POI exactly as I wanted by pulling up on the bottom barrel!!

HAP
That is the same setup both of my guns have had. There is a rectangular lug affixed to the bottom barrel which keeps the block from shifting fore and aft. My current gun's block provided no wedging action but my first pushed the barrels apart by about 1/32". Giacomo told me early guns with the lugs were designed for adjustable impact and shipped with the blocks. Later guns did not have this lug.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got back to the shop so I could take some pictures. Below you can see the factory lug and block along with 3 various height blocks I 3d printed for testing. Each of the printed blocks push the barrels farther apart causing the bottom barrel to shoot to a higher POI and the top slightly lower. There is more change to the bottom barrel that the top possibly because the rib stiffens the top barrel. This was true with my Browning ST100 as well.

Hap, is this the same setup Roger Coveleski did for you or did he copy a factory unit?

The last pics show the factory block numbered with a 3 and a 0 with a 1 somewhat higher and almost touching the 0 at the 10 o'clock position on both halves.

Is this an identification number or an employee stamp?

IMG_20170925_120136.jpg IMG_20170925_121217.jpg IMG_20170925_121308.jpg IMG_20170925_121340.jpg IMG_20170925_121629.jpg IMG_20170925_121852.jpg IMG_20170925_123432.jpg IMG_20170925_124743.jpg IMG_20170925_124600.jpg

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Jim, no, that one looks to be for spreading the top/bottom barrels! The one he made for me squeezes them together to lower the POI on the bottom barrel. I'll see if I can take a picture later and send it along to you too!

HAP

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I think the device on the end of the bbl was to allow for metal growth when shooting singles with bottom only on a warm day. I've had a couple of them and POI between top and bottom was different, not good for sporting. Probably good for trap doubles.'tho

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joe, I'm having trouble understanding what device on the end of the barrels you're referring to. MT6 barrels are fixed at the muzzle. Is it possible you mean the lug on my gun just before the front of the fore end? On my gun it is only attached to the bottom barrel an is almost 1/8" short of touching the top barrel.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts

Jim, the way this is machined for the OD barrel diameters, it allows me to squeeze the bottom barrel upward and insert this two piece clamp. I lowered the bottom barrel POI about 6 inches lower by inserting this apparatus!! The top barrel is stiffer due to the rib and it doesn't affect the POI on it! I take it out and the higher POI comes back on the high side.

HAP

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hap, that works pretty well and keeps the same view over the rib. That was my favorite thing about the ST100 I had. If that gun had been available with 32" barrels I would still be shooting it. I exchanged the roll pin that secured the adjustment wedge for a quick connect pull pin. Changing from 100% high on the trap field to 60/40 for skeet and sporting was a 15 second process with no tools needed. I had Briley tube it and it was fun to shoot. I'm pretty close to getting the MT6 the same. I shoot a fairly high POI even on my hunting guns. For me it's easier to float a bird over the barrel than to blot one out. I play a lot of trap games and for Annie Oakleys having the first shot high and using the top barrel shooting flat works pretty well for those 3rd and 4th backup shots. Laid up with the carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve surgeries for a few weeks gives me time to work out the details. I'll be having my son pattern test the blocks I printed this weekend and pin down the amount of wedge needed for various POI settings. The material I used for the test parts above won't take the temps a spirited round of trap doubles would generate. For the final parts I can either print them with polycarbonate material or knock them out on the CNC from 7075 aluminum or stainless.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
JL, the one above could be modified to make it fully adjustable also. Roger wanted to clean this one up but I said it's perfect as is and does ezactly what I wanted it to accomplish!

I like your ideas too!

HAP

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Browning ST100 was a looker built on the venerable Superposed action. It's hard to make out the adjuster but the wedge is mounted to the upper barrel. Pulling out a pin allowed the slip collar around the lower barrel to be moved fore and aft adding or subtracting pressure between the barrels essentially bending the barrels. The chart shows the POI of the barrels in each of the wedge's 5 positions. Note that as the lower barrel is bent further moving it's POI higher the over barrel POI is moved down. I borrowed the following images from around the net and can point those wanting to know the credits to their home.

17738336_2.jpg InShot_20170927_212228849.jpg InShot_20170927_211851663.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts