Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MRE

I picked up a large quantity of genuine military issue MRE's this weekend for cheap. Menu A and Menu B, no production dates that I can read, but most have "inspection" dates of 2014 and 2015. If stored well, how long can I expect these to be edible? Thought they would make a good addition to my zombie apocalypse shelter.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I do firmly believe that this is what people in max security prisons should be getting to eat. One MRE a day and the requisite amount of water.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Meals Rejected by Ethiopians will vary for longevity depending on storage conditions. The cooler the conditions the longer they last. The warmer the conditions the shorter they last.

MREs will lose flavor and taste quality long before they actually go bad if stored properly. I gave several cases of ten year old MREs to my son and his friends for camping. They were teenagers, and they devoured them.

One big issue with MREs that most people overlook. They are geared for a 3000 calorie per day diet, including salt replenishment for that level of activity.

Freezing does not hurt them, but constant freezing and thawing will degrade them. Keep that in mind if you store them in an unheated or uninsulated garage that drops below freezing.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm familiar with the time/temp chart and all the c&p internet chatter. Hoping for some real world experiences to relate.

Yak, according to the GAO, the military pays about $8.32 per meal for the MRE's. You can feed prisoners for a whole lot less. Just ask Sheriff Joe!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
All I remember is that Tabasco sauce and toilet paper were hotly traded items!

That was 22 + year ago though...

I have no idea what the new MRE'S contain/look/taste like...

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Well, like i said, I gave several cases of ten year old MREs to my son and his friends for camping, and they chowed on them. Teenagers are not exactly culinary experts, since they eat like government mules and generally aren't too picky. These had been stored in a closet in an office kept at 70 degrees for a decade. I think the taste was not as good as it used to be (MREs were never great in the first place) but they were still edible.

·
Molon Labe
11,992 Posts
Wait until they start making Twinkies they say they will never rot

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I have probably ate 9 or 10 MREs while hunting. I didn't think they tasted that bad. They sure are convenient to pack while hunting and it's nice to have a hot lunch when your 15 miles from camp.

Darr

·
Molon Labe
11,992 Posts
In the late 60's my oldest bro got out of the Army, and he brought home some C rats, I ate them they were made in the early 50's, I think the cheese in them was made of some kind of plastic, some stuff was okay some was pretty rough, but as a young kid I chowed down on them

One thing that torqued me off after Katrina they shipped a bunch of bottled water down there and they raised hell because the water was past it's expiration date

I guess water will get rotten

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I agree with "if they smell ok, they are edible". I ate C Rations in 1966 that were made during or right after the Korean War.

blade819

·
Registered
606 Posts
Our outfit got c-rats in the mid '50s that had the usual 4 cigarettes in a little pack. The Lucky Strike packs were green in color. We later heard that Lucky Strike dropped the green color when America went to war, so they had to be 12-15 years old. We ate em and nobody died of it. I still have my U.S. P-38.

ctreay

·
Registered
606 Posts
You got it Tommy! But they sure did like us when we built platforms under their tents to get them off the ground. They also seemed to know that cold beer usually followed our arrival.

Have a Merry Christmas.

ctreay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts