Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time every year here in Minnesota I tell myself I have had enough of the cold and am moving back south. We, as a family, visited Osage Beach a year ago and really liked the area. Stopped in and checked out the range at Linn Creek as it was just up the road from where we were staying at Tan Tar A. Anybody from the area care to input some pros or cons of the area, or state in general..? Thanks.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
I go hunting in the Rolla/St. James/Cuba area - this is S/E of where you are looking off route 44. I live in PA and the deer in MO make ours look like small dogs. Some of the bucks I've seen will take your breath away.

Very rural area - the people are the nicest you'd ever want to meet. I always look forward to visiting.

Life is a bit lonely, so sadly I see a lot of heavy drinking (I hear there is a massive drug production trade about as well). Be ready and willing to entertain yourself.

Big cities - Kansas City or St. Louis

Near you would be Springfield - has Bass Pro's main facility - well worth visiting

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you fo your input. Here in Cental Minnesota we are rather rural as well, and enjoy it. Hard to get away from booze an drugs no matter where you go.

Thanks again.!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome to Missouri. You didn't state what area you were moving to, but you'll find friendly caring people wherever you go. The Lake of the Ozarks area offers everything you can imagine. Hunting, fishing, boating, shooting, golfing, shopping, dining, the list is endless. There are several gun clubs within a few hours' drive that offer registered shooting and most of them either have non-registered leagues or derbies year-round.

Lori Bumsted

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I worked and spent a lot of time in the St. Louis area years ago. Don't remember a lot about the tax climate of the state, but do remember STL is hot as hell in the summer. Don't know if it will be a little cooler in the Ozarks, but it would almost have to be. LOL

If you make the move - study up on Cardinal baseball and their history, because somebody or I should say - everybody will test you on it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Lorie....quaint? I agree and will throw in unique for Bumfuzzel. ?..LOL. Missouri is home for us no matter where we travel.

We are the state of 4 full seasons , praries, low mountains, large rivers, big trees, blue sky and homey people. GOOD FOLKS and a few of the other types.

Missouri will be glad to have you folks......merlyn. comeon down and stay.

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
merlyn,

Couldn't agree more with your statement: "We are the state of 4 full seasons , prairies, low mountains, large rivers, big trees, blue sky and homey people. GOOD FOLKS and a few of the other types."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Guys, don't forget to mention that sometimes the four seasons can show up within a week's time. Just think back to some past State Shoots and Fall Handicaps.

Merlyn - that's a good description of our beautiful state. Just to let you know, "Quaint" is an abbreviation of my maiden name. And I know you have other words for Bumfuzzle, just too polite to put them on here. lol

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I live in the Southwest part of the state and work in Branson. The Missouri Trap Association at Linn Creek is a two to three hour drive away. Although the information you received about the area around Lake of the Ozarks was dead on, you might find lower real estate prices a little farther south. Springfield, Osage Beach, Branson, Rolla are NOT backwoods rural lonely places. All of them are full of great restaurants, entertainment, good medical care and educational opportunities. You will find a good affordable trap club nearby to almost any place in the state.

Pay attention to the information you got on the seasons. We do get some ice and snow here. Not like you do, and not every winter...but some most years. Our summers are generally hot and humid. (some are very hot and humid!)

The state is friendly to gun owners. We have concealed carry permits and a thriving AIM program in our schools.

Do look into the St. Louis Cardinals or the Kansas City Royals. Baseball is big here. Golf is also very popular and available all over the state. Bass and trout fishing are also very prevalent from Lake of the Ozarks and south to Arkansas line.

Come back and visit again, then come to stay! Feel free to ask questions. Martinpicker

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
I have a real close friend that lived between Trenton and Chillicothe, real nice area and real nice people, and yeas they have some big deer there, beats the Greyhounds we have here in Texas

·
Registered
103 Posts
Our state shoot is early, come on down for the week and spend morning shooting and some time with your family looking the area over in the later afternoon. Plenty of folks to show you around just for the asking... Bring Guns, Golf Clubs and money for the wife to do Plenty of shopping...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great input. It's given me a lot to research and tomorrow's high here of -5 will provide plenty of time to do it. While it may take a couple few years, or just one good Lotto ticket, my sites are set south. Thanks again.

·
Registered
683 Posts
MNguns, I have lived in a couple of places in Missouri and it is better than Intl. Falls for weather, but I have been snowed in a couple of times there. Headquarters was in Rolla and it is not all hillbillies. Hunting and fishing is popular. The Ozarks are sometimes kind of remote.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Correct in every respect, Quaint!! Wife and I were wondering if "Bummy" has developed a new knack for hanging more than 6 (countim' ) pair of glasses from his bibs??.....LOL....Merry Christmas AND Happy New Year to you folks and all who read this....merlyn and Carol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Merlyn - He's back down to just a couple right now. Doesn't have anybody around to "show off" for. lol Just wait until the State Shoot, who knows what surprises he'll have in store for you. Late Merry Christmas and early Happy New Year to you, Carol and Lulu.

Mapper - there's nothing wrong with us hillbillies. lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grew up in the south, so them lil critters are no bother. If only MO had some gators ;)

-26 degrees here in Central MN this morning.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Always looked like paradise the times I have been there. However, I've never been there during an ice storm. ;-)

Great place for a trapshooter. 2nd largest trapshoot in the country.

Bob Falfa

1 - 20 of 22 Posts