Trapshooters Forum banner

Moving on from an 1100

2667 Views 32 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  jimgw
Over the last few years I have owned several different trap guns including an 870TB, a TM-1, 3 different BT-99s, a Citori Trap, a couple of 391s set up for trap, an A400 multi target, an MX8, a 680 combo, and currently a 687 JE Combo. Some of which I only shot a little and others, like my current 687, I have shot several thousand shells through. But at the end of the day, if I want to shoot a good score, I grab my 1100 trap. Admittedly, I have issues with gun fit and the 1100 is one of the few that don't leave me with a bruise on my cheek.

I'm at the point to where I'm shooting a lot more than I used to and most of it is in ATA events. I shot close to 12K shells last year and I'm just not having great luck with my 1100 holding up. I had a couple of break downs during the state shoot last year and l also have issues with my stock (Jack West) getting loose after about 400 shells. Add in the extra cleaning and my knock down pin not doing a great job on doubles and I'm ready to move on. I'm just not sure what gun I'm looking for.

I know a lot of you all have shot an 1100 and moved on to something else. Provided you shot well with an 1100, what O/U or Single barrel worked best for you? I realize everyone is different and I know a professional gun fit or custom stock will be required with my gun fit issues. I also prefer a flat rib and shoot a pretty flat shooting gun. I honestly haven't pattered my current set up but figure it to be 70/30.

I plan to attend some bigger shoots this year and demo some guns but just looking for guns to keep an eye out for. I would be open to single barrels or O/Us. I have a 725 sporting with a PFS that I can use for doubles if I find the right single barrel. My budget will be up to $6k.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
8,307 Posts
Over the last few years I have owned several different trap guns including an 870TB, a TM-1, 3 different BT-99s, a Citori Trap, a couple of 391s set up for trap, an A400 multi target, an MX8, a 680 combo, and currently a 687 JE Combo. Some of which I only shot a little and others, like my current 687, I have shot several thousand shells through. But at the end of the day, if I want to shoot a good score, I grab my 1100 trap. Admittedly, I have issues with gun fit and the 1100 is one of the few that don't leave me with a bruise on my cheek.

I'm at the point to where I'm shooting a lot more than I used to and most of it is in ATA events. I shot close to 12K shells last year and I'm just not having great luck with my 1100 holding up. I had a couple of break downs during the state shoot last year and l also have issues with my stock (Jack West) getting loose after about 400 shells. Add in the extra cleaning and my knock down pin not doing a great job on doubles and I'm ready to move on. I'm just not sure what gun I'm looking for.

I know a lot of you all have shot an 1100 and moved on to something else. Provided you shot well with an 1100, what O/U or Single barrel worked best for you? I realize everyone is different and I know a professional gun fit or custom stock will be required with my gun fit issues. I also prefer a flat rib and shoot a pretty flat shooting gun. I honestly haven't pattered my current set up but figure it to be 70/30.

I plan to attend some bigger shoots this year and demo some guns but just looking for guns to keep an eye out for. I would be open to single barrels or O/Us. I have a 725 sporting with a PFS that I can use for doubles if I find the right single barrel. My budget will be up to $6k.
Out of all the guns you have shot, did any shoot for you comparably to your 1100 except for cheek damage?

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Out of all the guns you have shot, did any shoot for you comparably to your 1100 except for cheek damage?
The MX-8 is one. A guy that I shoot with offered me more than I gave for it, so I sold it. I let it get in my head that the bottom barrel was choked to open and the porting was done to close to the end of the barrel for thinwalls.

I also shot the 870 well but a 200 target day put me out of commission for a few days.

Never really cared for any of forends on the BT-99.

I've heard good things about the lyrics just never had an opportunity to shoot one. They are on the list.

Being left handed also makes trying out guns a little more tricky.

· Premium Member
8,307 Posts
The MX-8 is one. A guy that I shoot with offered me more than I gave for it, so I sold it. I let it get in my head that the bottom barrel was choked to open and the porting was done to close to the end of the barrel for thinwalls.

I also shot the 870 well but a 200 target day put me out of commission for a few days.

Never really cared for any of forends on the BT-99.

I've heard good things about the lyrics just never had an opportunity to shoot one. They are on the list.

Being left handed also makes trying out guns a little more tricky.
That is what I'd say is a strong possibility for you. The Ithica and Winchester imports had a significant number of stock configurations available for them including lefty stocks but unfortunately finding an MX8 and a lefty stock will most likely be a difficult task these days. But an adjustable combs version may be the ticket for you to try. These shot flat by the way and should have a similar POI to your 1100. As for chokes, all mine from factory had .030-.032 in the bottom barrel. So.e would say full by today's standards.

There a several model variants based of the MX receiver that you should be able to find with a left hand stock.

· Premium Member
3,706 Posts
I too love shooting 1100s - until they leave you standing on the line broke down...
About a year and a half ago I just made a trade for ANOTHER 1100 (the Competition) , I was in no way looking for anything else at the time BUT a 1988 Grade III Browning Citori Trap came up here for $1300...
Sold off two of the 1100s since and two more just sit in the safe now.

1100s are great guns but do not hold up to 1000 rounds a week. The Browning does !

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is what I'd say is a strong possibility for you. The Ithica and Winchester imports had a significant number of stock configurations available for them including lefty stocks but unfortunately finding an MX8 and a lefty stock will most likely be a difficult task these days. But an adjustable combs version may be the ticket for you to try. These shot flat by the way and should have a similar POI to your 1100. As for chokes, all mine from factory had .030-.032 in the bottom barrel. So.e would say full by today's standards.

There a several model variants based of the MX receiver that you should be able to find with a left hand stock.
Thanks for the recommendation. My MX-8 was an Ithaca with a .018 in the bottom. I felt it did fine for singles but was skeptical about handicaps.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^ bottom barrel for 1st shot in doubles and top barrel for every thing else... (y)
It had a bottom first trigger, there were work arounds, but a buddy talked me into selling it to him. He wanted it for a doubles gun.

Reactions: phatkaw

· Registered
3,174 Posts
If the 1100 is what you shoot best, fix the problems first and see how it goes.
I'd never discourage someone from buying a better or even different gun, what fun would that be?
There are a couple of tricks to keep an 1100 running, even with a Jack West Stock.
I'll start with the stock, drill out the comb set screws and tap for one size larger, it's aluminum so be gentle when you do it.
The back screw kept loosening up even with Loctite on it, eventually the threads stripped so I drilled both of them out to the next larger size, (10-24) I think, but I can check if you need me to. Put nylon washers under the comb to support the pressure of your face on the comb, if it can't move it's a lot less likely to work loose. Once I did those two things, I never had a problem with it coming loose again.
Spare parts kit- don't laugh and don't let anybody give you any crap about it.
A good 1100 kit could be put together for around $150 (at least when I did it a while back) and will get you back into action quickly. eBay is the best place to get a couple of items, the rest you may have to hunt down due to the parts availability issues with Remington currently. Some of this is basic and you probably already have some of it.
1. Carry some spare o-rings
2. Spare barrel seal
3. Find a spare trigger group, don't bother with trigger parts or springs for a travel kit, put it in the gun and be sure it shoots ok before the other one breaks down. I know how to replace trigger parts in an 1100, but it's generally not something you want to do on the tailgate of a pickup at a shoot.
4. Get a spare complete bolt group, it's a lot quicker than changing a firing pin or a firing pin spring.
5. Carry a spare magazine spring, recoil spring and a recoil link. It's not a quick fix except for the magazine spring, but if you are away from home for a couple of days at a shoot, it will keep going if you need to replace one.
All of that being said, it's like most of my other projects, once I had every part with me to fix the most basic problems I never had a breakdown with one that stopped me from shooting it.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the 1100 is what you shoot best, fix the problems first and see how it goes.
I'd never discourage someone from buying a better or even different gun, what fun would that be?
There are a couple of tricks to keep an 1100 running, even with a Jack West Stock.
I'll start with the stock, drill out the comb set screws and tap for one size larger, it's aluminum so be gentle when you do it.
The back screw kept loosening up even with Loctite on it, eventually the threads stripped so I drilled both of them out to the next larger size, (10-24) I think, but I can check if you need me to. Put nylon washers under the comb to support the pressure of your face on the comb, if it can't move it's a lot less likely to work loose. Once I did those two things, I never had a problem with it coming loose again.
Spare parts kit- don't laugh and don't let anybody give you any crap about it.
A good 1100 kit could be put together for around $150 (at least when I did it a while back) and will get you back into action quickly. eBay is the best place to get a couple of items, the rest you may have to hunt down due to the parts availability issues with Remington currently. Some of this is basic and you probably already have some of it.
1. Carry some spare o-rings
2. Spare barrel seal
3. Find a spare trigger group, don't bother with trigger parts or springs for a travel kit, put it in the gun and be sure it shoots ok before the other one breaks down. I know how to replace trigger parts in an 1100, but it's generally not something you want to do on the tailgate of a pickup at a shoot.
4. Get a spare complete bolt group, it's a lot quicker than changing a firing pin or a firing pin spring.
5. Carry a spare magazine spring, recoil spring and a recoil link. It's not a quick fix except for the magazine spring, but if you are away from home for a couple of days at a shoot, it will keep going if you need to replace one.
All of that being said, it's like most of my other projects, once I had every part with me to fix the most basic problems I never had a breakdown with one that stopped me from shoot it.
View attachment 1731392
Thanks, I definitely need to put together some spare parts.

On the stock, mine gets loose from the receiver.
I also had the adjustable comb plate in the stock itself break in half and the comb completely fell off. I got a new set of comb hardware from Joe at Stock Position Systems and was able to make it work.

My other issues were related to springs breaking. It looks like we found a similar solution to the skinny grip issue as well. Mine is badminton racquet grip tape.
Red Carmine Stationery Office supplies Pen

Reactions: vatrap

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Thanks, I definitely need to put together some spare parts.

On the stock, mine gets loose from the receiver.
I also had the adjustable comb plate in the stock itself break in half and the comb completely fell off. I got a new set of comb hardware from Joe at Stock Position Systems and was able to make it work.

My other issues were related to springs breaking. It looks like we found a similar solution to the skinny grip issue as well. Mine is badminton racquet grip tape. View attachment 1731400
"On the stock, mine gets loose from the receiver."
Never really had that problem, are you using the old style stock nut with the screwdriver slot or the newer style that's an 11/16" nut, (I think it's 11/16" but I haven't taken one off in a while)? If you are using the old style, I think I know what's causing it to loosen up. Which springs are you breaking? In some cases there are replacements that are better than the factory springs.
I use baseball bat or tennis racket grip tape most of the time, depends on what I can find.

Reactions: Bob Butler

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can't get the 725 with a PFS to fit you ?
Thats what I would be working on.
I have a beard and that is a hair pulling SOB! But I did shoot it for about 3 months, about 2k shells. Just never got to hitting well with it. I just use it for skeet or sporting clays now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.