Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Vendor
861 Posts
Maybe we have one thing right in IL, haha. I’ve never seen anyone do this and I’m not about to start coaching it...

·
Registered
22,745 Posts
This kid is the one I referenced earlier in this thread. He mounts his butt then closes his gun. Just like the op described.

·
Administrator
8,648 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how do you know if you've never tried it?
A couple of reasons:

1. For me it goes against the basic laws comfort for your body esp. if you have a break open shotgun where the action is fairly tight......high leverage point on your shoulder and close to your face.

2.There are times where I shoot a semi auto or a pump....nuff said there.

3.If you have a slower shooter next to you.....how long do you want to hold that shotgun up to your shoulder??

I have more reasons but really they are enough for me to not want to waste my time with a pre mount against my shoulder then a close. The less wasted movement the better.

·
Registered
22,745 Posts
A couple of reasons:

1. For me it goes against the basic laws comfort for your body esp. if you have a break open shotgun where the action is fairly tight......high leverage point on your shoulder and close to your face.

2.There are times where I shoot a semi auto or a pump....nuff said there.

3.If you have a slower shooter next to you.....how long do you want to hold that shotgun up to your shoulder??

I have more reasons but really they are enough for me to not want to waste my time with a pre mount against my shoulder then a close. The less wasted movement the better.
The way Jared does it is smooth George. It’s butt up, just before the butt touches the shoulder he swings the barrels up to close so that as the butt touches the barrels latch. He doesn’t premount then close. I never thought I would like the method but it sure worked for him.

Reactions: KS-5 Spec.

·
Premium Member
11,835 Posts
I've seen one guy mount his gun that way in a summer league a couple of years ago. He didn't "pre-mount" the butt, just when it was his turn the butt came up to his shoulder and when it was there the barrels kept going until the action was closed. I didn't ask him but I never did understand why he did this.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some OT shooters hold the gun fairly high when they close the gun. Maybe someone decided that more is better without really understanding why they do that.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So I was able to ask the guy who started mounting the gun this way at our club. He said it was something he started doing on his own as it helps him settle the stock into his shoulder and cheek. I asked about closing the action disturbing his setup and he said it didn’t for him.
to each their own. He shoots pretty well so it is working for him.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If he’s on my immediate right and doing that I’d insist he stop. That is creating a visible distraction with his gun up while I’m making ready for my shot.
+1 and IIRC there is a rule prohibiting tracking other shooters' targets which it seems he is doing

41 - 60 of 60 Posts