Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been observing several shooters lately at my club mounting the buttstock to their shoulder and cheek before closing the action. They are all using o/u or bt-99s. At first it was one guy, now several more are trying it out.
I was curious if it was something others do or if it’s just a case of people emulating what they saw someone doing? I don’t recall seeing anyone do it prior to this year.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
It's a dumb idea. You can't consistently find "the pocket" by mounting an open gun. You also risk using too much rear hand pressure to hold the gun against the shoulder (instead of evenly dividing the pushing force between the two hands). This in turn tenses the trigger finger and causes hesitation,

It's safe, sure, but so is closing the gun so the barrels are pointing above the trap house. Doing so also helps a smooth straight mount with as little lateral movement and head-wiggling as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Some of these coaches may have lost their minds. If a shooter on my right is mounting the gun opened or closed while it is my turn to shoot, I'll stop shooting since the blinders will not hide these actions. Best action is to keep these kids together with their gun mounting arrangements until courtesy is taught. I recently saw a teenager doing this during an ATA shoot and figured someone will be teaching manners soon.

·
Administrator
8,648 Posts
I have been observing several shooters lately at my club mounting the buttstock to their shoulder and cheek before closing the action. They are all using o/u or bt-99s. At first it was one guy, now several more are trying it out.
I was curious if it was something others do or if it’s just a case of people emulating what they saw someone doing? I don’t recall seeing anyone do it prior to this year.
Sounds like a real PITA and will never try it. It is a lot easier to leverage the action to close in the un mounted position and then find the correct mount with the action closed.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Sounds like a real PITA and will never try it. It is a lot easier to leverage the action to close in the un mounted position and then find the correct mount with the action closed.
Just out of curiosity, how do you know if you've never tried it?

·
Registered
22,745 Posts
I know a kid that shot that way. I thought it was awkward and wrong but not my kid. He went to the Grand a “C” shooter and came back with 14 trophies. Raised a bunch of nasty grams on here when he did. Folks called him a sandbagger. Young red headed kid from Colorado. He still shoots that way. Still a good shooter but not as good as he was as a kid.

Reactions: MTA Tom

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Sounds very inefficient. I also detest the "4H" method of having your trigger finger a mile away from the trigger laying on the side of the receiver.

·
Registered
79 Posts
"Argument from incredulity, also known as argument from personal incredulity or appeal to common sense, is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition must be false because it contradicts one's personal expectations or beliefs, or is difficult to imagine."
I take it that you use this method? Which is fine, if it works for you then stick with it. But it most certainly wouldn’t for me. Nor do I believe it should be taught as standard.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how do you know if you've never tried it?
"Argument from incredulity, also known as argument from personal incredulity or appeal to common sense, is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition must be false because it contradicts one's personal expectations or beliefs, or is difficult to imagine."
How exactly did you determine whether or not you are homosexual? We don't need a great deal of detail.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Sounds like a perfect way to make your gun mount shift, when the action is snapped shut. Are any of them holding the release lever over, then allowing it to close slowly so the action won't become prematurely worn?

🤓

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
82 Posts
For some DANGED reason some of the youth coaches feel teaching this is a correct procedure. I for one do not.
They are basically pre aiming the gun without the barrel.
In my opinion this is against ATA
the op said that they raised the gun to the mount before it was fully closed, I didn't see them mention they did this while the person on the station before them was shooting.

I can't say I have seen someone raise their shotgun up to mount while it was open, but I have seen all types of different methods people have for shouldering their gun

1 - 20 of 60 Posts