Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a company rep come into the gun shop recently, for a product knowlege seminar. It was pretty interesting, and included lots of incidental facts that the average guy doesn't get to hear, even working in a gun shop. One of the best things about the talk, though, was a tip he gave us on checking a scope before mounting.

How many times have you mounted a scope, and when bore sighting, found you have run out of adjustment on one turret before the crosshairs are where you want them? He advised us to lay a mirror flat on the bench, and put the objective lens on it. Look in the eyepiece, and see how many reticles you see. There SHOULD only be one. If you see the crosshairs and a reflection, adjust the sight picture, using the windage and elevation knobs, until the reflection and reticle are aligned into one image. You can now mount the scope, knowing that, if you do it correctly, the reticle should be pretty close to centered on the boresighter.

He also told us that if you have to go more than one full revolution of either adjustment turret, you have an incorrectly mounted scope, and should find out why, correct the problem, and start over. It may be as simple as needing a shim, or a different set of rings to correct an alignment angle.

After all my years of hunting and shooting, this reticle alignment was a thing I had never heard, and it has since shortened the time required to boresight scopes I have mounted. I hope this helps some of you in the future.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Leupold has instructions for re-centering the cross hair also. It sure helps using the mirror to align it before starting to mount a used scope, hard to tell how far out of center it may be.

HAP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts