Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pro's and con's of owning a motor home. Never rented or driven one. Not in the market for a huge Greyhound bus style but I would be interested in a class A. I have seen some really nice looking class C models. Perhaps they're like a boat fun at first and then really happy to have sold? Thanks for any insight. Jerry

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Unless you're really comfortable driving a bus, don't do it--Also be prepared to change tires often if you live in a really warm climate. And finally you can stay in a really nice hotel everyday when you're shooting and be way ahead of the cost of a motorhome and finally they have lousy resale.

IMHO, the best way to go is to tow a good travel trailer.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
796 Posts
Jerry,
My wife and I have owned a 30 ft class A for thirteen years. We live in it approx four months out of the year mostly on 3 to 4 week trips. We both do not relish the day when we can no longer travel in it and have to stay in motels again. If you would like more info please PM me.

M Taylor

·
Registered
29,248 Posts
Tires on motor homes are good for 7 years rating, but should be covered when not used.

Towing has it's downsides too, and you have more tires to contend with. I find it easier driving a 38 single vehicle than a 25 foot truck and 20 foot or longer trailer.

Motor homes have more powerful Diesel engines with twice the torque of a truck pulling a motor home. With gas and diesel prices being the same again, you will get 8-10 miles with a diesel compared to a Ford gas engine of 6 mpg. With a 90-100 gallon fuel tank, you can drive all day without having to fuel up. Ford is the only chassis engine available now on gas engine Class A's and C's. The Chevy Workhorse is no longer available in the motorhome business. You can get air brakes and air suspension ride with a class A.

If you cannot buy a new vehicle, buy a late model. 2-3 years old. There is a big value drop with a new coach.

Figure storage costs if you do not have land of your own to park when not used.

You will hear a lot about which brands are best and not. Ask owners about theirs, study reviews online with RV forums and websites. Take your time in purchasing.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
ramorton is correct. Just sold my 2002 40' diesel pusher - but if I was going to travel I'd have kept it or bought one a bit newer. Ours set too much to justify what it was costing for storage and annual maintenance. The old ones will won't nickel and dime you to death, they'll thousand dollar you to death. So, so much homework to do before you step into the diesel pusher market. Shop til you drop and go to irv2.com and read, read, and read some more.

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
For travel, a motorhome is best. To camp and shoot, and have a vehicle for the wife or you to drive around (shop, eat out, movie, etc), a big fifth wheel and diesel pickup is as comfortable and half the cost of a motorhome. Fifth wheels are a easy to pull with the right truck/engine.

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
Class A was GREAT until wife decided to not care for any more shooting trips. Then we get to the maintenance which i do most of. Tires will set you back 5K when needed. Had a computer go out on mine. 2800 bucks plus labor. Have had two friends, one with 28K and the other with 56K miles have a red top Cummings throw a rod. 30K to fix. There is just to much in a class A to keep running right for long. I would NEVER buy another. For my use a smaller pull camper to go to shoots in accomodates me far better.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
As per most above and your ?? about being like a boat. Boats\campers\motor homes are a hole in the water\air into which you pour MONEY. That said we are on our 2nd class C, nice to know who\when changed the bedding, washed\vacuumed floors etc. If you get something in the 28\30 foot size you will want to tow something to run around in. This is also a good thing if\when trouble arises, at least you are not stranded. Have had travel trailers, prefer the class C type for several reasons. If you want to talk more PM me contact info, phone # and a good time to call. Ross Puls EST zone Atlanta area.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I started with a 25 foot Toy Hauler, went to a Class B plus and now a Class A 37 foot gas motorhome. Like any expensive toy, to get the most out of it you have to use it. I bought mine used (IMO only way to buy one), 2007 in 2012, and it has only thirty-two thousand miles on it. 3 slideouts, sleep number queen sized bed, big shower, big TV's and a recliner in the living room. I choose gas over diesel because I only tow a jeep wrangler and didn't need the big torque. Took it to the grand 3 times and even staying in it for a month at Silver Dollar we never felt cramped. Minimal maintenance thus far. Always keep the tires lubed and covered. I do a lot of the servicing myself to save $$. Only way to fly IMO. NEVER buy new! Always do a good search. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Be prepared...There is always something wrong with a RV...always, regardless of the price. There are a lot of different systems in those rigs. Anything over 10 years of is obsolete and is just about impossible to get financing on, even with low miles. My 40" class A was 10 years old when I tried to sell it. Lots of offers but no financing. Ended up taking a loss and selling for cash. If I was to do it again, it would be maybe a 30' 5th wheel and diesel pickup. With the RV you'll most likely tow a car anyway. And those big RV's with a tow car are a pain in the ass to drive unless your on a interstate.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Before your eyes glaze over lusting for a motor home or expensive travel trailer (and tow vehicle) do yourself a favor and spend a few minutes to determine total cost of ownership; things like fuel, service costs, parking, storage, license, insurance, and the big nut-buster, depreciation, towed/towing vehicle costs, plus a few more incidentals. Once you arrive at some real numbers you can make an educated financial decision if you wish to spend the money required for ownership. Or, would you rather spend this sizeable amount of money for something else? Without these cost of ownership numbers in hand you probably should delay buying until you have come to terms with the real costs to own.

·
Registered
29,248 Posts
Towing adds additional cost with tow bar, electrical and base plates installed on your tow vehicle (dingy) plus a braking system. If the manufacturer says do not tow, do not tow even if you put in a transmission pump. A Chevy Malibu with an automatic can be towed for example by simply pulling a designated fuse to the ignition and putting the car in neutral. A Chevy Cruise with an auto cannot be towed. Smaller car is better when towing even if you have a Class A that can handle 10-15,000 tow weight.

You can always rent a car at your destination, unless you are in the wilderness. Make sure your existing vehicle is one that can be towed. Again you are better off with a diesel in a Class A if towing. Many benifits with bigger brakes and an Allison transmission coupled with a engine brake when going down hill with a 6% or greater grade. Pucker factor can be increased to uncomfortable level going down hill with questionable stopping ability and a lot of weight.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Towing adds additional cost with tow bar, electrical and base plates installed on your tow vehicle (dingy) plus a braking system. If the manufacturer says do not tow, do not tow even if you put in a transmission pump. A Chevy Malibu with an automatic can be towed for example by simply pulling a designated fuse to the ignition and putting the car in neutral. A Chevy Cruise with an auto cannot be towed. Smaller car is better when towing even if you have a Class A that can handle 10-15,000 tow weight.

You can always rent a car at your destination, unless you are in the wilderness. Make sure your existing vehicle is one that can be towed. Again you are better off with a diesel in a Class A if towing. Many benifits with bigger brakes and an Allison transmission coupled with a engine brake when going down hill with a 6% or greater grade. Pucker factor can be increased to uncomfortable level going down hill with stopping ability and a lot of weight.
Yep...I remember "Wolf Creek Pass" Colorado 9% grade in a 40'Rv towing a Jeep. What a gut turner...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yup ... costly but very convenient and enjoyable. I ordered an new Dodge Ram 3/4 ton with a Cummings Diesel and a new high quality Allumalite 5th wheel (Holiday Rambler) 15 years ago. It's been great. No problem with power in the mountains, great fuel mileage, toes like it is not even there, and minimal maintenance. Still looks great and is still solid due to the aluminum I beam welded construction. Took it all over the US (several times around the entire country). No regrets. Saved tons of $$$ compared to an Motorhome.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wife and I motor homed for 15 years and was a great - especially at the major shoots - meet some great people all over the country.
Never found it was a downside but helps to be handy because breakdowns can and will happen - somethings you can fix and others need to go back to a dealer.
Now we prefer the Marriott but the wife would buy another in a minute.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Its all in what you want to do,

Haven't used mine at any shoots but going to the races it sure beats leaving the track each night to go to the hotel, Then to battle traffic back in the morning, Not to mention going to a restaurant and waiting on a meal.

I can relax, watch TV if I wish, Take a hot shower, relax in a recliner inside or outside, turn both A/C's wide open so fog comes out when I open the door, I sleep on MY own clean sheets and pillow, I have about any type of food and snack I want with me, Plenty of Cold beverage,

Yea I guess I enjoy the motorhome,

Take care of it and it will take care of you,

DGH

·
Registered
29,248 Posts
Surprised nobody mentioned , it is great having a rolling restroom where ever you are. Do not have suffer looking for the next rest area 50 miles away while traveling down the road, just head to the nearest exit and pull over. Family members appreciate it too. No need for driver to stop if passenger needs to go. More sanitary too since you don't have to worry about who used it last.

Great having a kitchen too, wife can fix you a fresh snack and you don't have to stop looking for a good place to eat. Saves you money and you have the foods you like. Remember too, no one can ride in a tailer while moving down the road.....makes it harder for the woman to fix that meal.

Reactions: Gussers

·
Registered
29,248 Posts
Just don't put the MC on cruise while driving, then attempt to use the bathroom.

Reactions: ljutic73
1 - 20 of 25 Posts