Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

What is considered to be the most collectible, most rare, highest grade SBTs? I would assume most are from a by gone era [ Parkers, Ithacas, LCs, Fox....].

What were the modern super high grades as well? [KXs, TMs, BTs, ect...]

If anyone has a "Top 3-5 list" that would be great. thanks

-anthony

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
One of the most sought after trap guns is a Perazzi MX3 Special Combo. They enjoy an almost "cult like" following, and demand top prices when they do come available. They have a feel all their own, and don't really compare to any other Perazzi shotgun made, with the exception of the standard MX3. I was fortunate to have met, and talked with, Danielle Perazzi many years ago at the old Harold's Club in Reno, Nevada. We were talking Perazzi's, of course, and he told me, at that time, that he felt the best shotgun he ever made was the MX3 Special. I finally bought one years later and now understand what he was talking about. I have shot almost all the various Perazzi models during the course of my trap shooting career, and the MX3 Special is at the top of my list. While there are, without question, many desirable and sought after trap guns made by different manufacturers, this one ranks #1 with me.... Just my experience...

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Ljutic Space Gun?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I am not a Perazzi fan, but I must agree with Dan that the mx3 and mx3 special were (are ) one of the best pointing target guns made...

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
One of 3 L.C. Smith Deluxe SBT. List price was $1122.30 in 1936

L.C. Smith Premier Single Barrel Trap, one of 2 made. In 1936, the Premier SBT was priced at $748.

88 Crown SBTs; cost $287.85 in 1941.

Reactions: bossbasl

·
Administrator
8,648 Posts
I feel with the older SBTs if they have some verifiable history that goes with them, say a well known shooter ect. that always adds to them. I agree on the original Tom Seitz guns they are very desirable. To me my top choices in a modern sense that would be shooters are Ljutic Mono Gun---Alferman SBT---Silver Seitz. A nice series to collect and shoot would be a KS-5---KS-5 special---KX--5---KX--6, I have owned and shot all the KSs and KX but not at the same time,it would be fun though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks to all who responded. Great story about meeting Perazzi.....
I had forgotten about an original low serial number Tom Seitz and DeVault.

I now have a new wish list and a new #1!!!!!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
This would be nice. M grade Fox SBT

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
I use to shoot tournaments with a man who was very wealthy. His gun room would match most on this site. When he saw something he liked he purchased it and paid what ever the dealer wanted with no negotiation on price. A few of the guns are in the original boxes that they were delivered in by UPS. Deep down he was a good man, but you could say he was what they would call today, stupid rich and born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

In the 60's, he walked into Marshall Fields and the gun salesman told him that one of his good customers ordered two pigeon grade Model 12 trap guns. The gentleman passed away after they were ordered and asked him if he would like to purchase them for $265.00 each and he did. He shot 1 round of trap with them and are now owned by his grandson who does not shoot and will not sell anything he inherited from his grandfather.

When the Perazzi MX3 first came out he purchased two of them. One was shot roughly 200 targets, and the other is still in the original UPS box and was also inherited and sits with his grandson unused. When the Perazzi MX3 Special Combo came out he purchased one of them and that also sits in the original UPS box unused and sits with his grandson.

This gentleman I am writing about had very deep pockets but knew virtually nothing about shotguns. Both model 12's have left hand wood on them and he was a right handed shooter. The standard MX3's that he purchase one also has left hand wood on it. The other MX3 and MX 3 special are not out of the boxes so I don't know if they came with left or right hand wood?

I have no idea why these Perazzi's came with left hand wood as I am left handed and have to beat under every rock and bush to find left hand wood as these guns sit untouched with his grandson unused.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Anthony,
You're in luck. Make your wish come true. Guns International has a listing for an original Tom Seitz SBT.
The listing dealer is Eurochasse and price is $18,500.00.
Bud

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
There is a charity fund raiser on Gun Brokers listing an original Tom Seity (#22), release trigger. It was a replacement for Gene Keen if memory serves me well.
Got to wonder what it will bring.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts