Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not asking about motor homes, RV's, trucks, and heavy-duty vehicles.

Asking about cars that both husband and/or wife would enjoy driving around the home area and on four to twelve hour drives to trap tournaments. (Will be staying in hotels while at the tournament.)

Car must be able to carry two people, two combo guns, shells, and other trapshooting stuff, plus regular travel luggage.

Already have trucks and SUVs... Looking for something perhaps more fun to drive.

Thinking in the $20,000 to $40,000 range.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

For the engineering types doing thorough calculations, we shoot 1-1/8 ounce loads (not 1 ounce).

For car enthusiasts, many years ago my wife drove SAAB Turbo 9000 and S-class Mercedes, but she also has enjoyed driving Hyundais, Toyotas, and 1967 Deuce-and-a-Quarters.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Chevy SSR truck. 400 horses 6 speed stick or automatic, convertible top, and only 24,000 made. 2004 to 2006. Great toy.

Everybody looks at this vehicle and many do not know what it is.
motordoctor

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
My best traveling car was a Chrysler Fifth Avenue with the Mark Cross leather interior. the seats were the most comfortable of any car I ever owned and the Stero was decent for the time.

I had a Cadillac with similar type seats a few years later but the Fifth Avenue was the hallmark. If you are going to ride for 4 to 12 hours you should pay particular attention to the comfort of great seats.

I don't know if anything like this is available today, good luck.

HM

·
Banned
331 Posts
Scion XB; Almost totally hand built in Japan, like driving a little race car.
Lot of fun, very, very quick, lots and lots of room. Rear seats fold down for
all the room you will ever need. Should run, with proper maintenance, 300,000
miles without a major repair. Not the best gas mileage, 28 hwy, drive it 90 and
100 mph all day comfortably. The best part, they don't cost much money. If you
ever try one out, you'll take it home with you and every time you drive it, you
will like it better.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I suggested this to my wife...since I've been shopping for her a practical around town car..and I thought a Scion sounded pretty good.

This was her reply...LOL I just had to post it, it cracked me up.

Wife:

A Scion??? You can't be serious...

Never was there a more butt ugly embarrassment to a car lover than a Scion...

Wretch, gag cough....AGHHH... I don't care if the thing would fly and used no gas at all ...the only way I would show up in one of them is if it had an invisible mode.

There are some prices that I just will not pay for practicality...self respect is one of them.

Sorryy I don't mean to be mean...but gaggggg

I don't think SHE liked the idea much..do you???. Heh hehh heh

It sounds like it would work well to me, even though it is sorta homely. I'd like to have one to pull behind our Motorhome...but I'd have to leave her at home I think...ROFL.

Good luck...Stan

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Laugh if you will but I have owned a Dodge Grand Caravan Crew for two years and love it. My arthritic hips like how you painlessly step straight into and out of it, the front seats are very comfortable, the Crew model comes with most of the toys and trinkets that make driving enjoyable and then there's all that cargo space behind the second-row seats.

The 3.6L V6 in the 2011 and up vans delivers 283 horsepower and pushes 30 miles per gallon highway. The wells under the floor that the second-row "Stow & Go" seats fold down into hold lots of items you don't want left out in the open. The van rides nicely and is easy to drive. Granted, the excitement level isn't high but the rest of its benefits make up for that. And while I never held Chrysler Corporation quality in high regard, their 2011 and newer products are really very good; so much so that they are winning industry awards for improvement.

So I suggest you look into a minivan. Your kids will probably say the same kind of things ours did - "It's been 25 years since I played soccer and neither of you is in a wheelchair" - but that stuff stops after the first time they borrow it.

Ed

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
You might want to try and find a Mercury Marauder. It's the sporty, sinister version of the Mercury Grand Marquis. It will haul more than a pickup truck!

Or a Taurus SHO, with the turbo charged motor. It will do both - haul and squall!

·
Registered
456 Posts
For the money, a certified BMW 3 or 5 series, with the AWD package, is a great driver's car. Plenty of power, always nice interiors, and lots of nice little features you'll appreciate on the longer trips. I had a 330xi, until a change in careers, and I miss that car every time a winding mountain road opens up in front of me.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Subaru Outback or Forrester. Very highly regarded vehicles.

Eric

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like you want a sports car capable of carrying everything. I would go with a used C6 corvette. 30mpg highway so fuel won't kill you, 430 hp for some fun on the way, and a surprising amount of room for guns and ammo.

I have a C5 and take it to the range all the time, there really is a lot of room inside the vettes. And the newer ones like the C6 are pretty comfortable too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We have been well pleased with our 2013 Challenger Hemi and 6 speed manual. Good comfortable ride, lots of trunk room, and great mileage. A real fun car that will deliver 27 - 28 at legal interstate speeds. Only drawback is the premium fuel requirement with the 6 speed. Wife gets 22 mpg (computed) average on daily (44 mi r/t) drive to work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No better bang for the buck than a corvette and you can get a very nice one for below $40k. The newer ones are basically supercars in a touring car package.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you want room and comfort the Mercury Marquis has worked for us.

My wife calls it a AARP car. Too bad it has been discontinued.

If Ford would come out with something styled like a 49 Mercury I would buy it.
I still like rear drive.

ed

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
If I ever get around to building my '66 Bel Air to lookin' like this...it would be just fine....lots of room...huge trunk and a bitchin' ride.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well if you would consider a Subaru . You can use my friends and family discount. It lets you buy ANY Subaru at factory invoice, anywhere in the U.S. This is not a scam. If your interested just p.m.me. I will arrange everything at the dealership of your choice.Do not go to and try to negotiate a price. It will only create bad feelings with the dealership. I will have Subaru of America send a discount invoice to the dealership. You buy your car at invoice.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Mini Cooper Countryman.........All wheel drive.........4 doors..........back seats fold down making lots of room.......You can load it up or keep it plain, your choice.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I had a 49 Merc as my first car! Wish I had it back. For crusin, we now have a 72 Caprice convertible. Huge trunk, easy ride, easy in and out. Decent on fuel with the updated 350. Will also haul and squal....LOL....Wife loves it and that is what counts.....merlyn

1 - 20 of 44 Posts