Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine tells me that he has a Mossberg hi-rib trap gun. I didn't know such an animal existed. Can any of you guys fill me in on the particulars of this gun? Or even direct me to a picture or 2 of it?

Thanks for your time....

·
Registered
132 Posts
If it is a Silver Reserve it is Turkish made. My opinion only...I wasn't sure how involved I wanted get into trapshooting so I bought one as a starter gun. I shot with it for four months and decided I was hooked, and then bought something else. My girlfriend's son shot it for six months, and when he said he was hooked in the game I sold it and bought him a used BT99 Plus.

Look up Silver Reserve and Silver Reserve II is the newest one. I had a Silver Reaerve II. You can see the listed at Cabela's, Bass Pro Outlet, Gander Mountain, etc.

The gun served the purpose that I was looking for, and I didn't have any problems. It was a nice looking gun from the wood and engraving.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
There is one for sale in the for sale by member section under the listing Browning 28 gauge and Mossberg 500 AHT trap.
Bud

·
Registered
32,585 Posts
From 1986 Gun's Digest:

"Mossberg Model 500AHT/AHTD

Same as Model 500 except 12 ga only with extra-high Simmons Olympic-style free floating rib and built-up Monte Carlo trap-style stock. 30" barrel (Full) 28" ACCU-CHOKE with 3 interchangeable choke tubes (Mod., Imp. Mod., Full)

With 30", fixed choke $326.95.
With ACCU-CHOKE barrel, 28" or 30" 346.95."

-----------------

2013 Standard Catalog of Firearms

Exc. 275.00
V.G. 250.00
Good 200.00

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
Mossbergs are pretty durable. What they don't have, is a very good trigger.

·
Registered
10,564 Posts
A friend of mine tells me that he has a Mossberg hi-rib trap gun. I didn't know such an animal existed. Can any of you guys fill me in on the particulars of this gun? Or even direct me to a picture or 2 of it?

Thanks for your time....
I see Lit posted a picture. Don't feel lonely if you never saw one. They were not on the market long. Back in the 80s as I remember. They came out just after the high "railroad trestle" style ribs became popular. I watched a guy win a shoot off with one at the Grand once. They crunched targets and a few people shot pretty well with them. They were pretty decent priced for a entry level trap gun. I tried one but didn't care to shoot it as I am not a fan of high rib guns. It was great conversation piece and a lot of folks did a double take when they saw one.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Mossberg introduced these in '84 as an Olympic model to tie into the Olympics being held in the U.S,. I owned a couple of them and they shot fine and were fun to shoot, they were choked with Teague screw in chokes. Many owners complained about the sloppy trigger which if I recall correctly had plastic components as part of the trigger assembly. The trigger didn't bother me because I'm a slapper not a squeezer. I do Know after long use the trigger through wear would get goofy and slam and hang fire.

Surfer

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I had the Silver Reserve II Sporting model and it was a good starter gun. I used it for a few months and sold it to another beginning shooter, he is still shooting it. Steve

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK guys, thanks for the info.....for some reason I had it in my head that he was talking about a single barrel break open gun. I see now what he was talking about.....

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I saw one at a local gun shop. I thought it was a home made build up. It was priced at $300. I almost bought it just as a conversation piece. Now that I found out it was legitimate, I am sad I didn't

·
Registered
10,055 Posts
I had one without choke tubes. The gun smoked targets, but the pistol grip is cut so far back that I could hardly reach the trigger. Do to this reason, I got rid of the gun. I also had a anniversary trap gun of theirs made in 67 or 68 with beautiful wood and a standard low rib 30" trap barrel which was also a smoke pole. I never had any trouble with the triggers on either gun.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
103 Posts
In 1977 the Mossberg Rep stopped at the old Wateree Gun Club in South Carolina. He had one of the guns with him and invited anyone who was interested to try it. I had the pleasure of shooting it and only dropped one target. The gun shot where you were looking and absolutely destroyed targets. I believe that at that time the gun retailed for around 250. Considering that a Simmons Olympic Rib cost $169 it was a great deal. As has been stated many times, the trigger sucked. Lots of take up required and a very heavy pull. If Mossberg could have or would have corrected the trigger problem they would have sold them by the train load.
It would have made a great beginner's gun.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Timmeny made upgraded triggers for this gun and there a few of them floating around. I bought the two I owned from a sporting goods distributor I did business for $157.00 each, $300.00 would be fair used price for one of these. I sold one for $350.00 and friend ferried the other one to a Mexican flyer shoot and got $650.00 for it from one of the locals.

Surfer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts