Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend was the kick-off of the 2014 clay target shooting season in South Africa.

The first event is traditionally the Gauteng North Standard Championships, held in Centurion, halfway between Johannesburg and Pretoria in Gauteng Province.

The event includes ATA Singles, ATA Doubles, DTL Trap, Universal Trench Trap, Olympic Trap, Olympic Doubles Trap, NSSA Skeet, NSSA Skeet Doubles, and Olympic Skeet.

This was my first competition using my recently fitted PFS Stock. I think I'm going to like it.

I shot well with a 98 in singles, which put me in a tie for high gun with 4 others, including South Africa's London Olympic Doubles Trap competitor, Alistair Davis.

But I went straight in the shoot-off, while Alistair dropped his 25th target, and the others missed at least 2 each.

I think there were about 90 entrants in the ATA singles event.

They do things differently over here. You can shoot 100 targets on both Saturday and Sunday, but only your first 100 targets count for the competition. If you shoot another 100 targets, it is just for your average, and your standing within your province. So a guy who shoots his first 100 targets on Sunday is compared directly to someone who shot their first 100 targets on Saturday. This happened, as 4 of us shot 98 on Saturday, and one of the guys shot 98 on Sunday.

I'm still searching for that elusive 100 straight. Shot one in 2005, but haven't had one since.

ATA doubles is not a really popular event over here, and there were only 11 entries. My 90 was good enough for the win.

I'm not going to mention my DTL score. It was embarrassing.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.596983583715337.1073741841.100002111025944&type=1&l=42a54035c0

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DTL is very much like ATA with a few differences. It is shot on an ATA trap field, but the target angles are a little wider (true 3-hole) and the target is a little faster (44 mph vs. 42 mph) and you have 2 shots.

You are awarded 3 points for a first shot kill, and 2 points for a second shot kill, often referred to as a "pick-up."

There is also a shell limitation of 28 grams of shot (1 ounce.)

A perfect score for 100 targets is 300 points.

In South Africa we shoot it just like ATA, that is, 5 targets per stand, then move.

I understand in Australia they shoot it like Olympic, with 6 shooters, and a move after each target.

My best score so far in this event was a 298.

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DTL stands for "Down the Line."

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DTL is actually a lot of fun. I just wasn't on my game Saturday. Which is odd, because I shot well in singles before shooting DTL, and then later in doubles.

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Hap, a 100 would be nice.

Revbook, Rick, correct, though there is no penalty for shooting a second time if you break it on the first shot. I will do that from time to time and shoot at a chip to remind myself that I have a second shot!!

When I first started shooting DTL, my mindset was in ATA, and sometimes I would forget I had that second barrel!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts