Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
31,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right off, I don’t give a damn about any of you self proclaimed professionals as to how useless or silly you think this is. Flame away, you can go straight to you know where. This is for fellow tinkerers.

I fashioned an overhead feed for the shot side of my MEC.

It consists of a used powder container, a couple plastic fittings, one brass hose reducer, 3/4 to 1/2, a shut off valve with 1/2 inside threads, a length of plastic tubing and some hose clamps. This is a crude first attempt, I might continue and refine it, have not decided yet. I wanted to see if it could work and it does.

Took about 15 minutes, here is the result.
BCF6BA8F-55E0-4657-8DA1-DCABBE1321E2.jpeg 259DB04B-3A67-422D-90D1-F675AB054901.jpeg 8B2591F2-2673-4ABA-8546-268438CC4B60.jpeg

·
Registered
21,631 Posts
Right off, I don’t give a damn about any of you self proclaimed professionals as to how useless or silly you think this is. Flame away, you can go straight to you know where. This is for fellow tinkerers.

I fashioned an overhead feed for the shot side of my MEC.

It consists of a used powder container, a couple plastic fittings, one brass hose reducer, 3/4 to 1/2, a shut off valve with 1/2 inside threads, a length of plastic tubing and some hose clamps. This is a crude first attempt, I might continue and refine it, have not decided yet. I wanted to see if it could work and it does.

Took about 15 minutes, here is the result.
View attachment 1688239 View attachment 1688241 View attachment 1688243
Damn. Heavy sumbitch when full of shot.

Reactions: grizquad

·
Registered
31,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Damn. Heavy sumbitch when full of shot.
No reason I have to dump a full bag in it, but I can. The powder container which is more than strong enough is held with a bicycle hook which is rated for over 100 pounds. I want to still refine the container used and it’s mount. I cut a hole in the container which allows me to add shot without having to take the container off the hook. I normally cut the kegs like the picture to store loaded shells, open bags or shot, etc.

I am really tired to tilting the bottles back with shot in them and spilling it. I can shut off the shot, run out about 3 charges of shot and go from there.

Attachments

Reactions: flashmax

·
Registered
21,631 Posts
No reason I have to dump a full bag in it, but I can. The powder container which is more than strong enough is held with a bicycle hook which is rated for over 100 pounds. I want to still refine the container used and it’s mount. I cut a hole in the container which allows me to add shot without having to take the container off the hook. I normally cut the kegs like the picture to store loaded shells, open bags or shot, etc.

I am really tired to tilting the bottles back with shot in them and spilling it. I can shut off the shot, run out about 3 charges of shot and go from their.
I know why you did it and it is a good idea. It sorta kinda turns the space into a permanent reloading station though. Some hydraulic or electric actuators and you got something going on.

Do you switch hands on the lever? I used to start down with my left hand while guiding the wad with the other, then switched to right hand and grabbed a Hull with the left. Longer to detail than to do.

·
Registered
31,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know why you did it and it is a good idea. It sorta kinda turns the space into a permanent reloading station though. Some hydraulic or electric actuators and you got something going on.

Do you switch hands on the lever? I used to start down with my left hand while guiding the wad with the other, then switched to right hand and grabbed a Hull with the left. Longer to detail than to do.
Short answer, both hands on the down stroke. It’s like exercising, stand erect, pull down with equal force. I place the wad on the ram tube, ease it down to the wad guide like you do, and use a steady even downstroke with both hands.

For the benefit of those who did not see past posts, I have 3 MECs, Two 9000 and one 8597. One of the 9000’s is pneumatic which I have posted about before. On the other two, I put a wood threaded eye in the end of the wood handle in the indentation left from the lathe pilot. I took two short pieces of 1-1/4 wood dowel, drilled some pilot holes, then attached them together with wood treaded studs between the eye of the eye bolt. I left enough space between the dowels they rotate with my hand and tilt a few degrees, right or left.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I can't tell what you have for a connection to the slide bar, but what do you have to do when you want to tilt the powder bottle back to refill? Or do you just use a funnel in the top of the bottle? Looks ok other than hoisting the heavy bag of shot up to fill the jug.
I use the 8# jug to dispense my wads too.

·
Registered
31,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't tell what you have for a connection to the slide bar, but what do you have to do when you want to tilt the powder bottle back to refill? Or do you just use a funnel in the top of the bottle? Looks ok other than hoisting the heavy bag of shot up to fill the jug.
I use the 8# jug to dispense my wads too.
The connection to the slide bar is a brass fitting with a 3/4 threaded end to the slide bar and a 1/2 inch threaded end to the shutoff valve. My main goal was to see if a plastic shut off valve would work and be sturdy enough and it does fill both those parameters. I want to find a fitting to the slide bar and the shut off valve with out a fixed coupling. In other words, a threaded coupling to the close bar that will turn free without turning the valve end.

I fill the powder with MEC bottle funnel as MEC bottles load from the top and have a plastic plug. This press is dedicated to a 2-3/4 dram, 1-1/8 oz reload using Winchester WST and Winchester hulls, primers and wads. This load I use for practice and registered doubles. I use factory AA Lights for registered singles. There is no reason for me to change the setup on this press. The other two MEC’s I have for a light and heavy one oz loading. If I can get this to work the way I want to, then changing powder or bushing will be easier.

No need to lift a 25 pound bag of shot, I fill the container with a two cup measuring cup. Takes a little longer, but little or no mess trying wrangle a bag.

When I find the correct fitting, I will simply unscrew the valve end above the slide and move the hose/valve aside if I want to tilt the slide bar back to change powder, change the bushing, but right now, I have no need to do either,

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Who remembers RUBE GOLDBURG???
I have a friend that did the same, just a little different but is the same concpt. His holds about 150#. He loads on a Dillon 900 and one load. You talk about going through some components!!!
(Scott, I thought about the grain elevator too---may get the 3200 in three weeks, will send photos)
My Best
Jim

·
Registered
31,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rick,
If you still have "lock-down" time, you could build an elevator to run the shot up into the bottle, like a grain elevator. Grounded, of course! :)

Scott Hanes
Good idea. Maybe I could get some hamsters on a treadmill to power the elevator.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Oh Yeah!
Getting the angle correct would be a challenge. On the elevator; not the hamsters. However it depends on the size and incentives of/for the hamsters.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Put a hole in the floor above and drop the shot right in......add a funnel in between there. Frostyman beat me to it.

Don't forget to patent Rick's Reservoir™

·
Registered
31,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put a hole in the floor above and drop the shot right in......add a funnel in between there. Frostyman beat me to it.

Don't forget to patent Rick's Reservoir™
I gave that some thought during the night, but figured dirt from my sweeping the floor above would find it’s way into the shot reservoir. My housekeeping skills are not very good and the kitchen wench retired years ago. Can you believe she expects me to clean everyday?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I think this is a great idea.. I would be worried about the weight overhead through.. I know what you said about the rating of the hook etc, but I would worry about "fatigue" in the plastic bottle over time. Perhaps a safety strap or braces under the shot canister would be a good precaution.

Only question I have is looking at the bottom of the feed tube at the coupler you used, are you getting a good flow/fill of shot into the bar?

Again, I think this as a great idea, and gets me thinking about my set up..

·
Registered
502 Posts
Elevator? Hmmmmm. How about a hopper at waist level. Bucket elevator to raise the shot. Micro switches to turn the elevator on and off to keep a minimum amount of shot in the reloader. Works a lot like a grain handling system on the farm. Might be a touch spendy, but would work slick

·
Registered
31,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think this is a great idea.. I would be worried about the weight overhead through.. I know what you said about the rating of the hook etc, but I would worry about "fatigue" in the plastic bottle over time. Perhaps a safety strap or braces under the shot canister would be a good precaution.

Only question I have is looking at the bottom of the feed tube at the coupler you used, are you getting a good flow/fill of shot into the bar?

Again, I think this as a great idea, and gets me thinking about my set up..
I am still in process of making the setup secure. I would not be inclined to leave a container with 25 pumps of shot suspended indefinitely above my head. I want a different container, one more funnel shaped. My biggest concern was flow and the valve shutting off the shot. Got that covered.

My original thought was a container sitting on a sturdy self. The best solution I have found is a non-MEC bottle, no opening on the top, but that makes filling the bottle slow and tedious. The next best fixes is an inexpensive valve between the bottle and the slide bar, a bottle with a threaded plug or buy the after market bottle with dump offered here by one of our vendor members. The RCBS Grand has it all figured out, a top loading bottle, big enough to hold 25 lbs of shot and a quick dump feature.

I like the idea Scott Haines suggested using an elevator to feed the bottle. That means I could leave a container of lead shot sitting flat on the bench. Presently I am digging through my childhood Erector Set and scouring YouTube for plans of a hamster powered machine,

Reactions: nitro27man

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Elevator? Hmmmmm. How about a hopper at waist level. Bucket elevator to raise the shot. Micro switches to turn the elevator on and off to keep a minimum amount of shot in the reloader. Works a lot like a grain handling system on the farm. Might be a touch spendy, but would work slick

Similar to the hand dump bin in a feed mill; it'd make the elevator shorter. It could even just have a hand crank then.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts