Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been looking very hard at a Browning CX, and have been pretty well convinced that maybe the one.
Well I can't stop looking at everything for sale in the gun rack. There are couple guns that have caught my attention and would like some opinions and comparisons. Here is the list that have my attention...
Browning CX
Browning Gti
Browning Broadway
Winchester 101 pigeon trap
Franchi 2003 trap
They are all used guns and seem to be in good condition with some wear marks.
I know the CX is a Citori, but are the Broadway and Gti another variation of citori or some completely different O/U design? I have seen that many feel the 101 kicks like a mule due to it's dimensions, but never shot one and it isn't winning any beauty contests. And well I don't know doodly squat about Franchi.
All are similarly priced from $1k-1500.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My kid has a CX while not a true trap gun it was a workhorse and a hell of a value.
I own a Broadway, it is like a classic car, the only people who will comment on what you are shooting are all 75 plus :) Mine does not fit right and kicks like a mule.
The 101 has a bad reputation as a kicker. I had a field one and never noticed but that was only 10 shells a day.
A friend of my kids who was not a high volume shooter but did a couple of ATA shoots had nothing but problems with the gun. Broken injectors as I recall twice in 4000 rounds.
I have no 1st hand knowledge of a GTI but I believe that was Browning 1st sporting gun and has invector chokes not Invector plus.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Ok so I have been looking very hard at a Browning CX, and have been pretty well convinced that maybe the one.
Well I can't stop looking at everything for sale in the gun rack. There are couple guns that have caught my attention and would like some opinions and comparisons. Here is the list that have my attention...
Browning CX
Browning Gti
Browning Broadway
Winchester 101 pigeon trap
Franchi 2003 trap
They are all used guns and seem to be in good condition with some wear marks.
I know the CX is a Citori, but are the Broadway and Gti another variation of citori or some completely different O/U design? I have seen that many feel the 101 kicks like a mule due to it's dimensions, but never shot one and it isn't winning any beauty contests. And well I don't know doodly squat about Franchi.
All are similarly priced from $1k-1500.
Of those above, buy the Broadway.

Where is it that they have a 101 Pigeon for sale?

·
Registered
687 Posts
My kid has a CX while not a true trap gun it was a workhorse and a hell of a value.
I own a Broadway, it is like a classic car, the only people who will comment on what you are shooting are all 75 plus :) Mine does not fit right and kicks like a mule.
The 101 has a bad reputation as a kicker. I had a field one and never noticed but that was only 10 shells a day.
A friend of my kids who was not a high volume shooter but did a couple of ATA shoots had nothing but problems with the gun. Broken injectors as I recall twice in 4000 rounds.
I have no 1st hand knowledge of a GTI but I believe that was Browning 1st sporting gun and has invector chokes not Invector plus.
My GTI has Invector Plus tubes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Brownings...the chevy truck of clay shooting, the CX was the one gun I was always worried someone with an identical one would accidentally swap with theirs, saw 3 identical xt's on the rack all lined up next to each other from 3 difference owners....I wonder if those guys swap guns every week and dont know it,lol.
In all seriousness there's a reason why alot of people have them, great guns for the money and reliable. I think the CX will fit your needs, alot of people use them as dedicated trap guns at the local club, not expensive to tweak to your needs of you dont like something about it.
Franchi's...meh,there are better italian options in that price range, 101's I've shot I have enjoyed but have never owned on, I had a Broadway...was probably the shortest amount of time I've owned a shotgun before trading it off, wasnt anything mechanically wrong with it, never could get it to fit quite right (had a beautiful custom stock, I was nuts thinking it fit me) and the ill fitment resulted in too much recoil for me.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Of the models you're considering, the Broadway and GTi are very good guns, but make SURE you would be comfortable with the WIDE ribs on these models.
The CX would be my choice as it is a current model and would work for any clay target game.
In any case, Try Before You Buy if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I own a cx. I love my cx. Do I wish I would have bought the cxt? Sure do! I just don't like ported barrels. They both felt great. And I shoot more trap only now then I did last year. My cx is still an great gun for the money!! May send mine off to Tron next fall for an adjustable comb and butplate. Just to tweak it a bit! Good luck in your search!

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Recommend you buy a trap gun like the Browning XT or a CXT that has an adjustable comb and choke tubes if you are looking for a gun to shoot trap.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,904 Posts
While most of my clay shooting is trap, I also need something that can pull double duty for the occasional round of sporting clays. I am supporting two kids in college and work for a gov't agency so I can only afford to buy 1 gun. That's why I am struggling with the designated trap gun advice
Then your priorities are elsewhere.
You can settle for less and justify not investing more now but if you stay in it, you’ll look back and wish you’d...ahhh, forget it.
Sounds like the XT is your best bet at this point.
For what it’s worth, I’d take a ragged out Browning over a Franchi any day.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Stay away from the Franchi. They're nice guns...nothing really wrong with them, buy I'm pretty sure that gun is made by Gamba, who has left the North American market, and parts are very hard to come by.

I think the kick issue on the 101 is over-blown (my son shoots one). I believe it might be more of a pitch issue, which can be easily adjusted (kick eez makes a space for this which works really well).
Good luck.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
If I just had to have "new " on a budget. I would go with the CX . The CX throws about a 60/40 pattern but, You can tweak it a bit if you get the adjustable comb. Some people are hung up on a gun having the word "TRAP" somewhere on it ! I never saw the word TRAP make much of a difference in how a gun performs in someones hands but, proper FIT certainly does ! In my opinion if the darned thing "FITS " and breaks targets, why should anybody care if the word TRAP is written on it ?! If I was looking for used in a trap gun, I would probably look for a Browning Citori Trap or, the old Browning Broadway. The old Win. 101s are certainly great guns but ,I have owned a couple and they tend to be heavy on felt recoil ( at least for me). Just be sure you want the Wide rib if you go the Broadway route. There are a lot of good guns out there .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts