Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly new 525 Browning that almost takes 2 hands to open the top lever. No it isn't sticking. Wayyyyyy to strong a spring. Probably a coil spring. If so, how many coils should i cut off? Thanx

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I have a fairly new 525 Browning that almost takes 2 hands to open the top lever. No it isn't sticking. Wayyyyyy to strong a spring. Probably a coil spring. If so, how many coils should i cut off? Thanx
Do thumb exercises. Don’t cut the spring.

· Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am surprised anyone could ever fit a spring strong enough to require that much force to open. Fitting a factory spring takes a good bit of effort.
I have a .410,.28,20,and 16 in nearly the same condition and they all take about 1/2 the amount of force to open. 12 is a mystery for sure. Will open it up tomorrow and look at it. Will open one of the others and count the coils and compare. Makes no sense to me.

· Registered
36,787 Posts
Find yourself a 25 year old girl to act as gun bearer and loader,

· Registered
611 Posts
Will open it up tomorrow and look at it.
Please post photos of the receiver interior when you get the stock removed.
If the problem isn't anything "sticking" (examples: Locking Bolt, loose/cracked Top Lever components, a metal burr somewhere), and the problem truly is the Top Lever Spring itself, typical causes are something that prevents the spring from compressing properly . . a broken coil on the spring, or a chunk of foreign matter jammed between coils, or something inside the gun preventing movement of the spring (could be interference from the stock). Anyway, that's my initial guess. A look inside the gun should reveal a lot.

· Registered
36,787 Posts
Can i borrow her? promise to return undamaged.
Sure can, I am not shooting right now anyway. Just keep a side of beef on hand. She eats a lot and the bloodier, the better she likes it. Don’t worry about damaging her, she will probably damage you. Bouncing off a wall is painful when she gets upset………or hungry.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.