Monster 525 Browning top lever spring | Trap Shooters Forum

Monster 525 Browning top lever spring

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jansonuhl, Jul 18, 2020.

1. jansonuhl

jansonuhl Well-Known Member

I have an almost new 525 16 ga. that has a top lever spring so strong that after 100 rounds you have a really sore thumb from opening it. Have other browning o/u's of about the same age that the top lever springs are not even close to as strong as this gun. How can i lighten this up and what is the general procedure to take apart to get to this spring. Not much experience with Browning's. Lots with Perazzis. Have a schematic of the gun but cannot find a parts list for it. Looks like top lever might be able to raise high enough to get spring out without taking top lever all the way out. spring looks to be a cone shape? could it be cut down? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Before doing anything, remove the barrel and operate the Top Lever. If it feels normal, there are other issues. Try lubing the Locking Bolt. Too much, and it may pop open.

There is only one spring available. Make sure it is properly installed. If it is, the chore is easily done, IF you have the right screwdriver bit. The Top Lever does not need to come out.

3. jansonuhl

jansonuhl Well-Known Member

Same with barrel off. lubed. no difference.Installation is from the factory. never touched. Have a 12,20, and a 28 of about the same vintage. somewhat stiffer than what i think they need to be but not as stiff as the 16. A real thumb buster. 100 shots, 2 days sore thumb. am learning to open 1/2 right handed, 1/2 left handed in self defense. Guess will just have to live with it. Thanx

4. coorsman

coorsman Member

You've got burr's on the barrel lugs.

Pick up a diamond file and take burr's off barrel lugs.

I had the same thing with a 725 Max Trap Combo.

jansonuhl thanked this.
  5. forrestmohrman

forrestmohrman Member

Are you sure it is not from alack of lubrication? I just ran into this coaching on the north ridgeville trap team.