Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought it about three weeks ago from Indiana Gun Club, on GB. Was told it may have been made in 1967 or maybe 1970. Called Lujtic but no answer. May be closed due to virus. Is there anyway to know who did the stock work? Inside the fore grip is a light signature “Melvin Sonoholm” or it may be Sonorholm? Would he have made the stock? It’s drop dead gorgeous!
What are those rings inside the end of the barrel for?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
They are closed because the owner has the Covid. It may be awhile.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Most likely made in 71
The RINGS are called WAD STOPPERS !!!
They are designed to slow down the wad as it exits the barrel......many stories on
their origin....I like to clean them with a bore brush on a regular basis.
Pictures of the stock & fore end wood would help.

·
Registered
585 Posts
An Anton for sure. The rosewood cap with the white dowel, birch wood Anton told, was his trademark. You could what grade of wood by the white and dark wood spacers at the cap. He had 4 grades. Just the cap was the bottom was the low end. This stock above is #2. # 3 had a white and dark wood spacer and was called the Grand. Top of the line, #4, had white, dark and another white. This was called the Exposition. I had a grand stock on a Model 12 made in 1917 and wished I never sold. Tried many times to buy it back, no luck. Ed.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,240 Posts
An Anton for sure. The rosewood cap with the white dowel, birch wood Anton told, was his trademark. You could what grade of wood by the white and dark wood spacers at the cap. He had 4 grades. Just the cap was the bottom was the low end. This stock above is #2. # 3 had a white and dark wood spacer and was called the Grand. Top of the line, #4, had white, dark and another white. This was called the Exposition. I had a grand stock on a Model 12 made in 1917 and wished I never sold. Tried many times to buy it back, no luck. Ed.
Thanks for the info! I bought two 1100s this year with grade 2s! Beautiful work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It appears he was a Master at this. I love this gun, although I can’t do it justice with my shooting. Is he still living?

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
No. Mr Anton passed away a bunch of years ago. I believe a relative too over the business. I think it was hillmer. Have not heard much about them for years. Anton used to have a both at vandalism and I bought a stock from him for my model 12. He was a great salesman and his wife did the refinish work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Anton’s son in law took over the business after his passing. I learned this on another forum where this gun was for sale back in March.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Paul Hillmer has a shop in Hudson Iowa. Has a web site. He can make you an Anton stock. I believe he did an apprenticeship under Mr Anton.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I do believe Paul Hillmer Is Anton nephew. A few were interested buying Anton's business when it was for sale, but did not because the buyer would have to carry on Anton's trademark, rose wood cap, for 10 years. That is also why some shooters didn't buy his stocks. I went to his house, in the basement, to pick out the Grand stock for my Model 12. He would put a quick drying lacquer to bring out the wood. Then you fired the gun into a 4 foot by 8 foot steel trap, in the basement, until the it was fitted for you and your yardage. I forget the distance you shot. With the dang receiver on a Model 12, it only took 4 hours. He would pick the forearm to match your wood and his wife would do the checkering. 3 weeks later, I had the gun!!! He had an option for a gold inlay for $35.00, for your initials. With this option, in 1978, the total cost was $325.00!!!!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Back in the day old man Ljutic would put any number you wanted......until the atf said no,no.....I have a space gun with a persons initials on it....???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts