Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new toy to me with a Moneymaker rib. I know they are out of business but I do have a couple questions for the long time forum buffs out there.

1) What's the history on Moneymaker? years of production, how big were they, they only do specific models? etc and why did they go out of business?

2) Before I need it and if/when I have something that needs to be repaired on the rib I'd like to get everyone's input on gunsmiths so I can have that list for when it's needed

·
Registered
676 Posts
I read awhile back that Mr. Moneymaker purchased the patent rights from the designer of the ribs after WW II.
They along with Simmons made prototype ribs for Winchester before they started making their own.
He maintained a business for custom rib installation for many makes of guns until his death when the company closed.
Now if you need custom rib work the go to shop is Eubanks Gunsmithing located in Idaho.

CT

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I read awhile back that Mr. Moneymaker purchased the patent rights from the designer of the ribs after WW II.
They along with Simmons made prototype ribs for Winchester before they started making their own.
He maintained a business for custom rib installation for many makes of guns until his death when the company closed.
Now if you need custom rib work the go to shop is Eubanks Gunsmithing located in Idaho.

CT
Did a rib on my TM1 in early 90's +- and warped the barrel. Had to send to Wilkinson who fixed it. Not sure what he did but not care. Gun shot straight when got it back. Kiner found the warp in it during a lesson.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
The one thing that put Moneymaker out of business was that they stocked auto barrels with their rib on it and you had to exchange your barrel for theirs. Most people didn't want to give up their barrel for some unknown barrel

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had them put a adjustable rib on my beretta 391 barrel nice work quick turnaround time and had a nice-chat on the phone. Then I heard all the complaints of shady work done.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
One time I had them do some barrel work. They lengthened the forcing cone, bored it out a little and made the choke o.o36. Real professional as far as I was concerned.

I had nothing but respect for them.

Hauxfan!

·
Sky Buster
4,171 Posts
One time I had them do some barrel work. They lengthened the forcing cone, bored it out a little and made the choke o.o36. Real professional as far as I was concerned.

I had nothing but respect for them.

Hauxfan!
I stopped at their shop in the early 80's. Not very impressive. Dark and messy
is what I remember. They had a pretty good reputation until the last five
years or so. Many customer's had problem's getting their work completed.

·
Vendor
7,420 Posts
i thot bruce bowen was part of that in their heydays , maybe prior to ray barnes ownership—

the warranty gunsmith for SKB in omaha ( bill voss) i believe his father was original owner of moneymakers

ray barnes took it over in late ‘70s ? and son jay came back from minnesota to help his father ,early ‘90s - jay commented that he had quit a college professor job to come back and help his dad ray ,who was in poor health
ray barnes came up with the adjustable rib idea , way ahead of the gun mfgs

by the way- on the above comment on shop condition- you are right , i cant remember it ever being clean but our local old welding shop looks the same way from welding and grinding — and blueing looks like a nasty process

i never was in the basement to see patterning board , bet its deep in lead - i walked in once and felt the floor shake with a loud deep boom ( board was below shop entrance old wood floor)
shop location makes me nervous even in day time!!! poorer part of town now

at its closing , i was there to prod jay on to finishing up those complaint projects - it deeply affected me on how a business can slowly deteriorate and i miss it ,along with mike who worked with jay and the old wooden counters with the many guns that passed over them

wally riebesell rock port ,mo - one hour south of omaha

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
What was Mike's last name? I remember a "Brewing" or something like that. Is he still in the area?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Back in it's "heyday", Moneymaker was well known as a "go-to" shop for ribs and other repairs.

They did jobs for me that lots of guys wouldn't, or couldn't do, and they were always done right.

As with a lot of other situations, over time, things change, and not always for the better.

It's a shame, because there seems to be a lack of people continuing this type of work.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I worked at Moneymaker Guncraft for a few years in the late 60s and early 70s. It was a very valuable experience for me. MM Guncraft was a genuine gunsmithing and retail gun shop. Lots of guns went through every year for general repairs and ventilated ribs.

Mr. Harry Moneymaker had sold the business to John Voss some time before I worked there. John and Doris Voss were very accomplished trapshooters and both are members of the Nebraska Hall of Fame. John is still living. Their son Bill Voss came to work at the shop when he was still in high school. He still does gunsmithing in Omaha.

The Voss family are all great people and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to work for them. Under their ownership, MM Guncraft was the go to place for ventilated ribs, and general gunsmithing. Their reputation was beyond reproach and complaints were few. When the business was sold, Bill Voss came to work for me in Omaha. He is a good guy and a true gunsmith.

The business was located at 1420 Military Ave. The shop was nondescript and admittedly could have used a good cleanup. The machinery for installing vent ribs was primitive but the workmanship was excellent. There was no basement but a small 25 yard patterning tunnel was under the floor and was very noisy. They sold lots of components for shotshell reloading and often had some very interesting guns for sale. I believe John Voss sold the business in the 80s but can't remember the exact date. Things changed dramatically after that.

Bruce Bowen
Sturgis SD

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I used MM a few times and the quality of workmanship was good. It was only after Ray died that the quality of workmanship went in the toilet.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I got a beretta big bore from Ray one year at the fall handicap. I shot it well. Used it for games and some registered. The big bores were extremely picky about what wads would seal in it. It measured 780. I still have two barrels, one a 30 inch and one a 32 inch. He also made trigger groups that fir 303 and 390's. Their made of stainless and have a mix of rays parts and stock beretta parts. Have two of those and had Phillip work them over and they're probably the best triggers I've used for berettas. For those that didn't know him, Ray was quite a caricature. I visited him and Jay at every shoot I saw them at and miss seeing them. Sad to see how things ended. I always had good luck with any work or guns I bought from them.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I built up a Beretta 390 years ago and bought one of Rays 390 trigger groups. Ray told me he produced about 300 Beretta 390 trigger groups. Very pleased with the craftsman ship and performance.

cars 001.JPG

·
Vendor
7,420 Posts
bruce bowen— jack kruse says hi! he has told me about your omaha days- with great respect

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Many years ago, I came across a 90T that had been brutalized. I had had Jay do a few ribs for me and they turned out good. This "clunker" needed a barrel, rib, plating and trigger group.....I had a nice wood set.
I gave it to Jay.......about 3-4 months later, I received the finished product.....a chrome plated receiver, a 34" briley choke tube bbl, an adjustable rib, and a bill.
I put a nice trigger in the gun, my new wood and went to shoot it........I'll damn quick admit, it shot as good as ANY gun I have ever owned, before or after......what a great job.......an the bill was very reasonable........of course, I re-mareted it.......somebody has a great gun............merlyn

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Regarding the MoneyMaker release trigger, I have one in my 303, I know it will fit the 390, will it fit in the 391?

Pat

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I believe my Ljutic Spacegun was the last adjustable rib ever made and installed by Moneymaker. It may have very well have been the very last gun ever shipped out of Moneymaker? He had it for over a year and it took calls to the Omaha PD to get it back. He did a good job. The rib looked and worked perfectly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts