Trapshooters Forum banner

Money Shoots, Meat Shoots, or Annie Oaklies, do you shoot them?

9584 86
I love shooting money shoots. We usually start out at 40 yards behind the trap house, and it is a hoot to shoot from there and hit the targets. The average distance when you hit the bird is 60-85 yards away. I know that my personal shooting has improved since I started shooting these events.

It seems as though a lot of people have no idea what you are talking about when you mention this part of the sport to them?. They are missing out on a lot of fun and friendships with their fellow shooters. There seems to be more laughter and cheering when you shoot these type events. I know some straight trap shooters baulk at the mention of money shooting. They say you are hammering your gun etc. Some of these guys are sensitive to recoil. I know my loads are usually around 1250 fps, with a 9-10,000 cup pressure. No problem for modern firearms.

So the question is, how many of you guys shoot these type events. I shoot an average of two a week. Headed to one this afternoon. Week day shoots are smaller only seven rounds. Week end shoots are larger, usually ten rounds.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
3,481 Posts
I shot games in the Winter, when I took a break from ATA and PITA.
At our small club, we have a game trap and practice trap. Every Wednesday they are both full.

Is the forty yard trap at Evergreen?

· Premium Member
723 Posts
I’ve been intrigued by the games shoots as well, but none close by me that I’ve found. I have heard of some down closer to your neighborhood, Fishjager. I’ll look into them. Any advise on appropriate loads?

· Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shot games in the Winter, when I took a break from ATA and PITA.
At our small club, we have a game trap and practice trap. Every Wednesday they are both full.

Is the forty yard trap at Evergreen?
Evergreen is too far south for me. We shoot at Stanwood, Granite Falls, and Darrington. I understand they shoot some at Sumner and a couple of other places down by Tacoma.
We usually shoot 6's. 1/18 oz.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,767 Posts
I shoot a lot of games and it is an absolute riot!

I think you would really enjoy yourself Hopper if you gave them a go.

The entire atmosphere is one eighty out from shooting registered tourneys. You laugh when you miss. You might as well, all your buddies are laughing at you, lol. The teasing and good nature kidding make it all the more fun.

Games are the life blood of most of the small clubs around here. Last week five of us from my area took a road trip north to Wright Patterson Air Force Base Trap Club on a Tuesday to shoot a "Retirement Shoot." It was a ball. One of our group took first, I tied for second and another took third. We all had a great time and the folks at Wright Pat could not have been nicer to us southern interlopers. We will certainly be back again.

Mix and match registered with games? Some can do it. Others not so much, they feel it is detrimental to their performance shooting ATA. No matter what road you take enjoy yourself, that's what this is all about.

If is ceases to be fun, take up bowling. ;)
I've shot protections, oakleys, pea and others and it was fun but I am wired to a competitive, structured atmosphere. Maybe if/when I get the opportunity to retire it'll be different.

· Registered
971 Posts
I've shot protections, oakleys, pea and others and it was fun but I am wired to a competitive, structured atmosphere. Maybe if/when I get the opportunity to retire it'll be different.
Try a few 60 bird protection programs, theyre usually pretty well structured, very competitive and youll usually have a chance to win much more money than at an ATA shoot

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
If I didn't shoot ATA I would likely try more games/protection stuff but I have a feeling if I stopped shooting ATA I'd stop shooting all together.
There is a feller from Colorado who has a lifetime ATA singles average of 99.5%. He was a long time games shooter before he shot ATA and still does the weekly “Turkey Shoots”. His very first singles score was 100. His next was a 99. Hasn’t shot ATA since. He was on a couple of my league teams and found out that ATA isn’t as easy as it seems. Very good guy. Farmer/rancher. @Bryce270 knows him too.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,767 Posts
Try a few 60 bird protection programs, theyre usually pretty well structured, very competitive and youll usually have a chance to win much more money than at an ATA shoot
Thanks but no thanks. If I miss in ATA, there's no backup partner nor can the guy to my right knock me out of the rest of the round lol.
It's been my experience that games have pushed new shooters out, dwindling overall attendance. The ATA guys and regulars that show up for practice end up loosing a field to the same truck load of guys who wanna play the games. Ends up with a bunch of people (including newbies) standing around waiting to shoot a practice round. On the other hand, I haven't seen a new face on the games side of our club in years...

· Registered
3,481 Posts
Hi Lyle, And take my money you did!

Wad it happen the other way at our clubs, We see many guys show up with their hunting gun and in a little while
they are shooting a new gun getting ready for the State shoot!
The PITA multi plex has certainly helped. It gives the shooters the ability to feel the formality of registered shooting, and do it from a small club.
Then we lose them from our club on weekends. They are traveling and shooting PITA shoots.

· Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Old fashioned Turkey shoots are the best introduction to light competition for new shooters. It is also by far the scariest to run, as guys get out of their truck shoving shells in the old 870 asking "where's the shoot"! Properly briefed on safety and range protocol these "newbies" are a great source of eventual ATA shooters. This is where range nazi's run off guys and good operators train them.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts