Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you any experience with these? Antimony percent?
Pros and cons?
IMG_1054.JPG

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
I've never seen them. Where did you buy them??? Do they have a Cheddite hull??? Have no clue about the % of antimony in them. Do they use the term "hard shot" on the box anywhere??? break em all Jeff

·
Registered
96 Posts
No experience yet.

This is Academy's house brand. Interesting. Their dove loads are (were) marked made in Spain. ...presumably at same facility that knocks out Rio, Kemen, and many others. I've liked their other shells but they are very snappy. ...have given up on the dove loads for sporting clays as they were just too much recoil (1oz / 1350fps) but I might give these a try if they drop them to.$5/box on sale like they did the others.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have these, #8's, box marked made in Spain. I may be able to shoot some tonight. Let you know if I do. Love the Estate 1oz Dove and Target made in Spain I got for $3.992 with a 20% off coupon. Some 25 and 50 straights in singles. Hopefully more to come, bought 10 cases.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,716 Posts
I bought 100rds from Academy just to try. What I bought was advertised as 1 ounce "light" loads and arrived marked 1290 fps. Disappointing but not the shells fault. Oh well....they'll break a bird. They're quick and crisp on the shoulder. Just like an R10. Not sure on other components but they feel the same. Chrony would be a good idea.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
..have given up on the dove loads for sporting clays as they were just too much recoil (1oz / 1350fps)
What I bought was advertised as 1 ounce "light" loads and arrived marked 1290 fps.
It seems many of 1 ounce Euro loads is 1290 fsp or higher. I shoot 1 ounce for less recoil, so I'd prefer 1150-1200 fps.

Odd tho, Cablelas Herters 1 ounce "Target Loads" are 1290 fps but their Herters 1 ounce "Dove & Quail" are 1250 fps.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've shot a few boxes. Did really like the shell and they seem to bust the targets with authority. My only issue is that they hit on me a little too hard.

Above poster (Jim White) used the term "snappy". Very accurate description in my opinion.

·
Registered
933 Posts
In the Old Days, Monarch was the brand name of Federal Shells sold by Montgomery Wards stores. Maybe they sold the license or still have a hand in the Monarch arena.

Dusty

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
In the Old Days, Monarch was the brand name of Federal Shells sold by Montgomery Wards stores.
Monarch was the name of the Pre-Champion Federal Target load. The Champions had a shot-cup and 'hard shot'. Monarchs had felt/cork/fiber wads. There was a rush among the skeet shooters to buy-up all the Monarchs they could find as they considered them a better a skeet load.

·
Registered
244 Posts
A few months ago while in Academy, these also caught my eye (price for practice rounds), asked for feedback somewhere in these forums & got mixed reviews so I decided to stick with my Rio's & Rem STS's.

Now, I personally won't ever buy Monarch ammunition & here's why. (I've also posted about this in a thread recently but can't seem to find it)...

I acquired a P220 DAK SAS in .45 from Sig's Custom Shop. Went to Academy & picked up the cheapest FMJ rounds for plinking (Monarch). Got to the range & for some reason I couldn't load more than 2-3 rounds in either of my magazines. This had me baffled! I tore the mags apart, etc, clean as a whistle, etc. I tried the JHP Sig rounds I purchased at the same time & they loaded & fed just fine.. but I'm not spending $1/round for just plinking! I got home & thought to get out my calipers & compare to other .45 rounds I had. Turns out the Monarch's were not manufactured correctly.... brass was not sized to tolerances & some bullets weren't seated all the way in properly; hence why they would not load into my mags. I returned the partial box (about 7 missing) of Monarch's to Academy, no questions asked. Reading over their return policy on ammunition, I found out this is the only brand they are allowed to take back (that should be an indicator right there)!

Happy Shooting!
-Larry, Founder
www.ClaysForACure.org
Clays for a Cure | Facebook

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've shot a flat of the 1 oz. 7 1/2 @ 1350 fps. for practice. Yes, they are snappy and would be best out of an auto. However, if you have a recoil reducer on your OU they will be bearable for 4-5 boxes at a shoot. Suspect 2% antimony but they do break the targets well.

·
Registered
18,731 Posts
A few months ago while in Academy, these also caught my eye (price for practice rounds), asked for feedback somewhere in these forums & got mixed reviews so I decided to stick with my Rio's & Rem STS's.

Now, I personally won't ever buy Monarch ammunition & here's why. (I've also posted about this in a thread recently but can't seem to find it)...

I acquired a P220 DAK SAS in .45 from Sig's Custom Shop. Went to Academy & picked up the cheapest FMJ rounds for plinking (Monarch). Got to the range & for some reason I couldn't load more than 2-3 rounds in either of my magazines. This had me baffled! I tore the mags apart, etc, clean as a whistle, etc. I tried the JHP Sig rounds I purchased at the same time & they loaded & fed just fine.. but I'm not spending $1/round for just plinking! I got home & thought to get out my calipers & compare to other .45 rounds I had. Turns out the Monarch's were not manufactured correctly.... brass was not sized to tolerances & some bullets weren't seated all the way in properly; hence why they would not load into my mags. I returned the partial box (about 7 missing) of Monarch's to Academy, no questions asked. Reading over their return policy on ammunition, I found out this is the only brand they are allowed to take back (that should be an indicator right there)!

Happy Shooting!
-Larry, Founder
www.ClaysForACure.org
Clays for a Cure | Facebook
It was here;

SIG P938-9mm, Anyone own one?

Reactions: lls581

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the Old Days, Monarch was the brand name of Federal Shells sold by Montgomery Wards stores. Maybe they sold the license or still have a hand in the Monarch arena.

Dusty
Monarch was the name of the Pre-Champion Federal Target load. The Champions had a shot-cup and 'hard shot'. Monarchs had felt/cork/fiber wads. There was a rush among the skeet shooters to buy-up all the Monarchs they could find as they considered them a better a skeet load.
Close.....but NO cigar.
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts