Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help/info from Remington experts. I just traded for this gun, the barrel is 30" long marked Target, the wood is outstanding, no dings, cracks or scratches. Looks to be all original. Has one choke (LM). The stock is not Monty Carlo, rib is raised with two beads. The engraving on the receiver is gold lettering and beautiful. I don't have pics yet but can provide if someone would like to see in order to provide me further info.

Oh, the prefix is is a letter "T" & the suffex is a "V"

Thanks in advance

Manny

· Registered
617 Posts
Marked target with a star on either side ?..if so that barrel is back bored & has .18 thousand of choke built in..standard rem chokes will be too tight. I have an imp cylinder in mine works out to .28 thousand..does ok @ 16yds..

· Registered
43 Posts
Looking for some help/info from Remington experts. I just traded for this gun, the barrel is 30" long marked Target, the wood is outstanding, no dings, cracks or scratches. Looks to be all original. Has one choke (LM). The stock is not Monty Carlo, rib is raised with two beads. The engraving on the receiver is gold lettering and beautiful. I don't have pics yet but can provide if someone would like to see in order to provide me further info.

Oh, the prefix is is a letter "T" & the suffex is a "V"

Thanks in advance

Manny
It's not old with screw in chokes it should break targets though

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
I have an 870 TC Trap with the step rib barrel. It has cut checkering and wonderful wood. My gun was made in 1987 and it has the same wood and recoil pad design as my 11/87 Premier Trap. I was advised that in 1987, when Remington introduced the 11/87 Premier Trap and the 870 TC Trap, the first run models received wood and recoil pads intended for the discontinued 3200 Premier Trap. I have seen a 3200 Premier Trap and the wood, checkering, finish and recoil pad are identical to my 11/87 and 870 TC Trap.

The 870 TC Trap is not the same as an 870 TC which was discontinued at the time the 870 TC Trap was introduced in 1987.

The 11/87 Premier Trap and the 870 TC Trap featured step rib, over bored barrels. These barrels, as mentioned above had .18 thousands of choke before the barrel diameter was further reduced by a choke tube. These choke tubes, on both the 11/87 Premier Trap and the 870 TC Trap, were marked "Trap Full", "Trap Extra Full" and "Trap Super Full". A barrel with a "Trap Super Full" choke tube had 55 points of constriction. As memory serves, the "Trap Full" choke tube resulted in 28 points of constriction and the "Trap Extra Full" resulted in 42 points of constriction. There was also a fixed full choke version of this barrel, which I would love to have but have never seen, that had a similar choke to the older, over bored barrel of the 870 Competition Trap barrel. TS. Com member Senior Smoke, as memory serves, met someone with this unusual barrel many years ago.

I also have a Hastings 30" over bored 870 barrel with step rib and Trap Full, Extra Full and Super Full choke tubes. I have this barrel on an 870 TA and it is a money winner/

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
Correction:

The wood, finish and recoil pad that I described above on my 1987 11/87 Premier Trap and 1987 870 TC Trap were identical to the discontinued 3299 Competition Trap, not the 3200 Premier Trap.

My understanding is that my 870 TC Trap was the first one sold in Louisville, KY and that it was sold at George's Gun Shop on Dixie Highway.

The 1987 11/87 Premier trap was also the first one sold in Louisville, KY and it was sold at George's Gun Shop. I knew the owner of the 11/87 and he indicated that it was for sale. I did not have enough cash with me so I passed on the offer. Later that night, the owner of the 11/87 and I were involved in a bird race in which we both tied for 1st place. My share of the pot from the bird race gave me enough money to meet his asking price. We exchanged funds, shook hands and I bought the 11/87 on post 3 and the 25 yard line.

All is well that ends well.

· Premium Member
691 Posts
I just traded for this gun, the barrel is 30" long marked Target, the wood is outstanding, no dings, cracks or scratches. The stock is not Monty Carlo, rib is raised with two beads. Prefix is letter "T" & the suffex is a "V"
Hi Manny -

I have a 1976 Model 870 TB trap gun that's very similar. T prefix, V suffix (which simply indicates a 2 3/4" chamber). Mine is pretty early, because it's a "T021---V" serial number. Mine is also not a Monte-Carlo stock, two bead rib, but it's a fixed full choke. The barrel is not marked 'target' - I don't know if they were doing that this early. Nice wood. No gold lettering on the receiver, though.

It is a great shooting trap gun - one of my favorites!

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
The fixed full choke barrels of the 1950 - 1980 870's, TA, TB or TC were outstanding. I think that the step rib barrels began with the 1978 1100 TB (I have one) and then were adopted on the 870 Trap grades in the early 1980's.

· Registered
351 Posts
I bought an 870 Wingmaster field gun in the late '70s. It had a 28" fixed modified choke and I bought a 20" smooth bore slug barrel, since the primary purpose was to go deer hunting with my brothers-in-law.

I learned to shoot trap with that gun (28" barrel, not the slug barrel). After a while I found a 30" fixed full choke barrel for it, and that improved my game a bit. When I found a 870 trap butt-stock for it, I had a pretty decent trap gun.

A couple of years ago, I found a 30" fixed modified trap barrel for it - it was more forgiving at the 16 yd. line.

I still have that gun, it's still my deer gun, and I occasionally shoot some trap with it.

· Registered
935 Posts
I started shooting trap with a 1100 and got tired of dealing with a shell catcher. I had a 1981 870 Wingmaster that I didn't shoot much, so I tried it at trap and I shot it better than I did the 1100. I currently shoot a BT99 and Citori XT, but will shoot the 870 occasionally for fun. It uses the REM chokes and I shoot 16 yrd with the IM.

· Registered
260 Posts
The inside of the middle of the barrel on most "target" barrels are backbored to .745 diameter while Standard and "Target" (no stars) have a .727 inside diameter. Thus the target barrels with stars have an .018 taper or choke built in. The "Target" barrel come with their own choke tubes labeled "Full Trap" "Extra Full Trap" and "Super Full Trap". I have measured the "Full Trap" choke and it is .710 the same as a Rem-Choke Improved Cylinder also .710. The .018 taper in the barrel along with the taper in the IC or Full Trap choke of .010 make .028 restriction which is very close to the .030 Full choke restrictiion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.