Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Model 52D Help

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  esoxhunter 
#1 ·
I need some valuable input from the fellow shooters on this forum. A couple of years ago I purchased a Winchester Model 52D target rifle. I hardly ever use it. ( I know nothing about rifle target shooting). I just felt like I wanted one. It is in nice shape; except for the absence of whatever is supposed to fill this "void" in the stock; i.e. it has an area in the bottom of the stock that is mortised for what seems to be for a sling swivel or?? It is approximately 1 7/16" long by 9/16" wide. Does anyone know what this might have been for and/or what one might do to fill in this mortised area? Thanks a lot. Ed

#4 ·
That sounds like it might be possible. I just would like to find a way to cover/fill this mortised area. If it means buying an accessory to fill this; I would do that just to fill this void in the stock. I just don't know where to look. It is not in the forearm It is on the bottom of the stock; where one would normally place a sling swivel. The forearm has the "rail" in it for placement of a tripod or whatever, for target shooting. Thanks. Ed

#6 ·
GN7777777 has it right. The handstop is the point the sling attaches to the rifle (and your hand stops against) in prone and kneeling (sitting too if you were to shoot 4p) and there is a Palm Platform (even wooden balls or handles) that attach in the same area for offhand.

I can't think of a way to get rid of it without filling it in with wood. You can easily get a new stock on a style more suited to what you want to do with it without messing with the original stock too. I have a 52C that I have a MacMillan Fiberglass prone stock on which I like. There are a few options out there for you.

PM me if you have questions.

Doug

#13 ·
This "rail" was a slotted metal piece which fit precisely into the inletted secion in the forend. On the side of this rail against the stock, there was a recessed slot, slightly wider than the through slot, in which a nut slid. A fore-end stop, such as a Freeland hand stop could be screwed into that nut. The position of the hand stop could be adjusted by loosening the bolt slightly, sliding the hand stop to the desired position and re-tightening it. If you van't find an original rail, it ought to be easy and inexpensive to have one made.

#22 ·
Model 52E (1975): The Model 52E was a D-model with the receiver milled to accept an aluminum bedding block/recoil lug (not always installed). Shortly afterwards the loading geometry was slightly tweaked. By the time of the 52E's introduction, the World War I-era design was showing its age and had given way in top-level competition to newer match rifles from Walther and Anschütz; and the costly-to-produce Model 52, which had been a loss-leader prestige product for some time, was finally discontinued when US Repeating Arms took over Winchester in 1980.

#24 ·
Toolmaker: Thanks. I visited ebay and I observed that they had a 52D stock for sale. In one of the pictures it clearly shows the same mortised out area on the bottom of the stock. This indention is the same as mine. Another seller has a set of sling swivels. I can understand that one of these swivels would fit into the area of concern on my gun. What I can't figure out is where the other swivel would be installed. I would think it's the "top" swivel; but there is no area on my gun where this could be installed? Thanks. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.