Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my model 12 locks up and wont open after firing.
I have to tap the slide release lever lightly with a plastic hammer to get it to open.
I took the trigger out and cleaned it, although it did not appear particularly dirty.
I am thinking I have a weak slide lock spring.
Your thoughts?
Jim

·
Registered
533 Posts
Possibly the wire springs are weak and do not let the hammer carry down the action slide lock or the spring that holds tension on the action slide that mates with action slide lock. Worst case scenario is the little lug on the right side of the bolt has worn into the receiver and gets in to the worn area when fired and locks the bolt. Best bet without looking at it is the action slide lock springs or the tension is to great to let the action lock fall when the hammer falls and the gun recoils if not the wire spring are the problem then a little fitting on both the action slide lock and the action slide. The angle where they mate is critical!!! The recoil and your grip on the action slide handle releases the tension so the action slide can unlock. PM me if you like. I have worked on several with same symptoms you are having. May be as simple as you are not holding the action slide handle tight enough. Regards Chuck. My question, is the gun one of the made in Japan Brownings or Winchesters?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have to tap the slide release lever lightly with a plastic hammer to get it to open.
I took the trigger out and cleaned it, although it did not appear particularly dirty.
Your thoughts?
Jim[/Q

If you took the entire trigger assembly out, cleaned it, and are still having problems, unless you know and understand the mechanics of a Model 12, I'd take to a good gunsmith before doing anything else.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If he has to pound the action lock button to get it to release it is not the ammo. Yes, if there is chamber ring issues they do not like the cheap S$it with steel heads. In my earlier thread is where I would look. Beware if one is not experienced with mechanical works of a M12. If it needs the two springs on the action slide lock you have to strip the whole trigger assembly (except the trigger lock). The action slide lock is the last part to come out.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gun is a 1961 three pin trap. I have had it several years. Stu Wright went over the gun when he was still alive and refit the chamber ring , re blued the gun and fit a replacement trigger, The post office managed to lose the original trigger.
Shells are reloaded 1 oz old style AAs, loaded on MEC Grabber. The gun is sensitive to steel head promos, particularly RIOS, hence the AAs. No problem with them in the past, have probably put 5000 through the gun.
Replacing the springs is beyond my limited skills, will probably take the trigger or perhaps the whole gun to Phillips at the Grand, assuming we have a Grand.

·
Registered
788 Posts
QUOTE="Shipbuilder, post: 8391779, member: 27372"]The gun is a 1961 three pin trap. I have had it several years. Stu Wright went over the gun when he was still alive and refit the chamber ring , re blued the gun and fit a replacement trigger, The post office managed to lose the original trigger.
Shells are reloaded 1 oz old style AAs, loaded on MEC Grabber. The gun is sensitive to steel head promos, particularly RIOS, hence the AAs. No problem with them in the past, have probably put 5000 through the gun.
Replacing the springs is beyond my limited skills, will probably take the trigger or perhaps the whole gun to Phillips at the Grand, assuming we have a Grand.[/QUOTE]

Usually the problems you describe with ejection is head space issue and you posted Stu re-fitted the chamber ring? So have you shot it since Stu completed the work ? If so, still convince its a head space issue as main reason not ejecting without hammer the knob on side release.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Another M12 EXPERT has spoken! He said he had to hammer the action slide lock to get it to the action open. How in the world does this have anything to do with EJECTION! I think you meant extraction rather than ejection, but neither one DOES NOT have anything to do with the problem he related to. Yes the chamber ring can cause EXTRACTION issues. The EJECTOR can cause ejection issues. It is nice to know we have another M12 expert to rely on to keep those old Model 12s working. I still put my $$$$ on what my original post stated without seeing the gun. Song Dog could you possibly be a SKEET shooter?

·
Sky Buster
4,115 Posts
Your thoughts?
Jim
The following is from the Winchester M-12 repair manual.
"Action slide lock does not function"
Bent or broken action slide lock spring.
Hammer pin driven in to far.
Bent cartridge cut-off.

Action slide sticks"
Action slide binding on recoil spring.
Magazine tube ring loose or broken.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The following is from the Winchester M-12 repair manual.
"Action slide lock does not function"
Bent or broken action slide lock spring.
Hammer pin driven in to far.
Bent cartridge cut-off.

Action slide sticks"
Action slide binding on recoil spring.
Magazine tube ring loose or broken.
Basically what I listed. Hard to trouble shoot with out being able to have your hands on it!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've shot Model 12's @ Skeet & Trap, enjoyed shooting skeet doubles the most, oops does it show ?
I have a two pin trap gun that someone had a Cutts added. It needs a new home along with a couple Remington 31's with Cutts. If you know any skeet shooters that would be interested in one or all Please pass the word. Thanks Chuck.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Your thoughts?
Jim
Separate the barrel from the reciever, push the slide as far back as it can go and carefully secure it so it will not move. Then with a piece of 400 or 600 grit wetordry sandpaper backed with something hard and flat take a couple passes over the end where the slide release rides against it. If the end is smooth it wasn't the problem but if there is a notch or a raised burr it needs to be made smooth. I have seen both the burr and the notch and they cause headaches. Then drop the trigger group out and do the same thing to the end of the slide release. This is pretty simple and fairly rare but it is a problem that occurs.

Then there are the springs on the slide release that push it into or out of lock up. One usually doesn't have to use force when one breaks though.

When these two things are ruled out everything else posted above is in play.

Al

Reactions: Song Dog
1 - 16 of 16 Posts