Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the minute difference from winchester mdl. 12 engraving pattern 12-1b from engraving pattern 12-1c. something different hey boys and gals. have a great day and stay warm howard

·
Registered
613 Posts
As I recall, a duck, a bird dog & a quail were depicted in a circle with scroll work. I don't recall which was which. A #4 & 5 were hunting scenes with pointers and quail. The 5 had a lot more scroll going up the chamber area of the bbl. I have had numerous M12 pigeon grades and some were not engraved. Back in the day, Winchester would build a gun however you wanted.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Howard

How do I use the atta-boys? :)

I once saw a beautiful Model 42, beautiful figured wood, completely engraved.........in Disney charactures. It had all the main ones, and some small ones tucked in the scroll work.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
BeerKing

(Like the name, by the way)

About all I know of 2pin/3pin guns is that 2 pin VR guns, with a machined "wavy" duckbill receiver ramp, are more desirable, as they were produced up to about '59 or'60, and some believe they were fitted together and the moving parts polished in place to a finer degree..equals a smoother operating gun.

Three pin guns, produced after 1959 or 1969, are still fine guns, generally have a smooth duckbill receiver ramp, but at, or close to the end of the run for pre '64, guns, and some believe the quality of workmanship is slightly lacking.

There were so many variables and ordering options from the Winchester Custom Shop, that you may find about any combination of parts on a gun, and it could be all original. When purchasing, if in doubt, consult a good reference book, or a known Winchester source, for advice.

I like them both, and the "Y" Model is also a good shooter.

Enjoy your guns.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I have the Winchester Special rib model, 1,795XXX made somewhere in the late 50s
early 60s.

A soldered rib model to compete with the 870 which was selling well.

Anything but smooth like the early guns, it shoots well.

Years ago, I read somewhere where you could pack the internals with polishing compound and cycle the action many times. This was supposed to make them a bit smoother, but it seems you would end up with a good mess to clean up.

Regards.....Gerald

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Gerald

One reference I have shows that serial no. could be 1959, or 1960, depending on the last three numbers.

1795421 ends the 1959 year and 1795422 starts the 1960 year, but production was way down in 1960, and some numbers may have been skipped in 1959.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi gerald the pigeon grades were smooth due to the fact that the bolts were slightly convexed in the middle. the whole surface did not rub on the reciiever when cycling. ever notice when some people had thier bolts jeweld or damsend it would wear off. they all wear in smooth eventualy regards howard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts