Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am just curious on how others transport their Model 12s. I know of some who break it down and place into a carry box. Some leave it as is. I leave mine together, but have considered the break down method and box for added protection during transport. And added space for wipe down rag, cleaning rod, accessories, etc for the firearm outside my house.

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
I travel with mine put together. While it's no great problem but sometimes it can be a bit finicky to put back together (especially if the barrel notch has just been tightened). If you are not careful you can possibly bend the action rod. Just a side note , I don't care for the term "weapon "when referring to guns used for target shooting . Yes it CAN be used as a "weapon" but, so can a kitchen knife. :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't care for the term "weapon "when referring to guns used for target shooting . Yes it CAN be used as a "weapon" but, so can a kitchen knife. :)
I unforked it. Thanks. Just after SSOOO many years using the term, hard to change it and keep my track of thought since I only run on a 1 track mind!!!! LMAO!!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I am just curious on how others transport their Model 12s. I know of some who break it down and place into a carry box. Some leave it as is. I leave mine together, but have considered the break down method and box for added protection during transport. And added space for wipe down rag, cleaning rod, accessories, etc for the firearm outside my house.
I keep mine assembled. If done a lot, taking it down and putting it back together encourages some possible wear and/or binding that is not desirable.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Leave it together in a soft case. Or good silicone sock and a cheap Plano case. Every time you take it apart another chance for opps!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I leave mine together, as slide action said sometimes they can be hard to reassemble, in addition many model 12 smiths today fit them together so tight that I am uncomfortable using the force needed to take them apart.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I carried mine in the trunk, broken down in a small case. Carried it in the trunk for 20 years.

I did take it out to clean it once a year whether it needed it or not.

Hell of a gun!

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Check out about 1:15 to see the maneuver which, if done wrong, leads to the unpleasant left side of the receiver ding if the forend is not fully extended :(
Reassembly is best done at home, not the gun club

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
I have a vintage Boyt case made for the Model 12, and sometimes carry the gun in a disassembled condition. Never had an issue putting gun together at the club. Lately, I just slip it in a soft case without breaking it down. 1937 12 ga Solid Rib Skeet, near mint condition. When it came up for sale at the club, I could not let it slip away.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I only break mine down if I need to ship it or if I need to do some extreme cleaning. I prefer not to break it down if I can prevent it.

Many people are of the opinion that breaking it down causes excessive wear between the receiver and the receiver extension. I have no idea how many breakdowns it takes to cause "excessive wear" but I’m not going to test the theory.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Check out about 1:15 to see the maneuver which, if done wrong, leads to the unpleasant left side of the receiver ding if the forend is not fully extended :(
Reassembly is best done at home, not the gun club

I was just going to comment about the left side receiver hicky that seems to be very common on a lot of Model 12's. That's the first thing I look for when looking at one...seen some pretty deep dings in some.

·
Registered
792 Posts
In case un-broken; constant breaking it down will wear on the "teeth" of the front & receiver assembly plus blue wear on the mag tube/barrel band. If I split the halfs was for cleaning with a bore snake and oil front assembly.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank ya'll gentleman very much. I feel l will just leave it in 1 piece and we both be happy!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm not an expert but a very reputable model 12 gunsmith told me more wear is caused by taking them apart and putting them back together than shooting them. I never took mine apart except for a good cleaning. Ran a bore snake through multiple times receiver to choke. Then cleaned them with a wood rod, bore to receiver. No problems.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts