Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
7,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who wud have done this rib work - factory?

F682E067-4F59-42D5-909E-9D9AC362CBA6.jpeg

·
Vendor
7,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is no writing stamped anywhere

·
Registered
184 Posts
If it was a Simmons it would be labeled on the side. I have the same rib on one of mine no label but I think it's a money maker.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
My guess would be Money Maker also.....Simmons would be stamped AND as I
Remember ....Simmons ran theirs all the way to the bottom of the receiver.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Definitely not factory. My guess is Moneymaker but there was other aftermarket installers. FYI not all of Simmons installed ribs have their name on them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've got a 1958 model 12 with a Simmons rib that's not marked but I believe it was installed for winchester and thus not labeled

·
Registered
574 Posts
The people at Simmons told me that the only ribs they installed for Winchester were a few on M42's. They licensed Winchester the design on a couple of their ribs, but Winchester installed them. Simmons did buy M12s from Winchester and installed their ribs and marketed them, but I think they all were marked with their name on the side of the rib.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree with Sasquatch 100%. The Winchester rib was thinner than the Simmons rib. The reason for Simmons being thicker was so they could put their name on the side of the rib. Another difference was the offset proof marks. Simmons rib did not have the proof marks on receiver and barrel unless they removed the solid rib style to install their vent rib which the proof mark was already offset on the barrel. Keep in mind there are several proof mark steel stamps out there that the counterfeiters have used on upgraded guns. To a shooter what difference does it make? To a collector it makes a big difference. There are other things that can tell the difference, like the posts. I won't go there because I am tired of typing.

·
Vendor
7,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i had a local omaha (shooter) confirm its a mony maker — thx

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
cr74..Had it Right .....Herters Rib have seen several of the Years.....It was One of Their Offerings...Full Length Site Plane...Also Available in a Browing Broadway Configuration Wide Rib....All Very Well Made Parts and Service of Years Ago.

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
I have one on mod 12 I had put on back in the early 60's by simmons. It is not marked. At that time they put mine on they went to the back of the reciever without my asking. I just figured they did them all that way so I didn't question it. I still have the gun.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have one on mod 12 I had put on back in the early 60's by simmons. It is not marked. At that time they put mine on they went to the back of the reciever without my asking. I just figured they did them all that way so I didn't question it. I still have the gun.
In the early 70's I was a dealer. Their price was $29.95 retail and $5.00 more for the extended ramp. Dealer price was 25% off retail. Could not estimate how many build up trap gun I built up back then. Back then the Model 12 was still very popular on the trap field. I would get the wood from Fagens or Bishops or factory trap wood from Winchester depending what the customer wanted. Now I hardly see one at the trap fields.

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
In the early 70's I was a dealer. Their price was $29.95 retail and $5.00 more for the extended ramp. Dealer price was 25% off retail. Could not estimate how many build up trap gun I built up back then. Back then the Model 12 was still very popular on the trap field. I would get the wood from Fagens or Bishops or factory trap wood from Winchester depending what the customer wanted. Now I hardly see one at the trap fields.
I don't remember for sure what it cost me then. I was I think 15. I used to set birds for club in my town for games on trap. After I got my gun back o started shooting trap then. Usually for meat. I took most of the meat home with that 16 ga. in the 60's. We're times some of the guys would take me home cause I couldn't carry ,gun,shells, meat all at once. Still have that 16. Got few others also. Plus a 525 32" 16ga. I shoot mainly. Unless it's a mod12 nostalgia shoot. Love that ole gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts