Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a nice 20 ga. model 12. I‘d like to put a recoil pad on it to replace the hard butt plate. My preference is a replica of the original red pad but am having trouble locating a source. I did find one at CSMC and ordered it but it is too small to fit my stock.

Many of what I would call “regular” sources such as Midwest or Brownells or . . . . . . . . .have the original replica pad listed but they are out of stock with no certainty of a further supply.

Hopeful someone may know of a source - or may even have one they would be willing to sell.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
618 Posts
Browells or Tony Galazan sells the Red 1922 Winchester recoil pad or try want Ads on TS. They would be the closest/ideal "period" pad for your model 12. The factory LOP for pads other than 3" heavy ducks was 14" and magnums was 13 3/4".

·
Registered
436 Posts
Browells or Tony Galazan sells the Red 1922 Winchester recoil pad or try want Ads on TS. They would be the closest/ideal "period" pad for your model 12. The factory LOP for pads other than 3" heavy ducks was 14" and magnums was 13 3/4".
Correct period recoil pad for a 20ga would not have been a catalog symbol number ordered gun. It could have had one but it would have been a special order pad. Probably likely it did not have a factory installed pad when it left New Haven.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Correct period recoil pad for a 20ga would not have been a catalog symbol number ordered gun. It could have had one but it would have been a special order pad. Probably likely it did not have a factory installed pad when it left New Haven.
I've seen a few New Haven 20 ga factory installed pads over the years. Winchester offered recoil pad installation for a extra $5.00 on orders while rack 20 ga's were hard butt guns. The OP wanted a "replica" pad so the red 1922 patent date pad would be as close to the original as you can get that Tony Galazan started marketing 30 odd years ago. You get to nit picky between originals and just adding a pad to make a model 12 more enjoyable as a shooter its not like OP was trying to fake a pad on a model 12.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree, I still feel it would have been a special order (others could be ordered besides the 1922 logo pad). One in particular that would have had a factory pad would be the little 20ga ladies trap gun (made for a few short years). I have seen two in my travels looking at/for Model 12's, both looked like they had been kept in the barn so I did not buy them. Another thing that was special order with out up charge was LOP up to 1 inch shorter or 1 inch longer. More or less than that was an up charge. The Galazan pad is in short supply now, I have got them in the past from 3 different suppliers but all show out of stock. I used my last one last week on a 1949 12-2 engraved Pigeon Grade that the pad was shot and needed replacing. I enjoy reading and talking Model 12's.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I agree, I still feel it would have been a special order (others could be ordered besides the 1922 logo pad). One in particular that would have had a factory pad would be the little 20ga ladies trap gun (made for a few short years). I have seen two in my travels looking at/for Model 12's, both looked like they had been kept in the barn so I did not buy them. Another thing that was special order with out up charge was LOP up to 1 inch shorter or 1 inch longer. More or less than that was an up charge. The Galazan pad is in short supply now, I have got them in the past from 3 different suppliers but all show out of stock. I used my last one last week on a 1949 12-2 engraved Pigeon Grade that the pad was shot and needed replacing. I enjoy reading and talking Model 12's.
Your knowledge of model 12's is stunning, its a shame the popularity of them has been deceasing the last decade except for the hard core fans like yourself.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Your knowledge of model 12's is stunning, its a shame the popularity of them has been deceasing the last decade except for the hard core fans like yourself.
There is a few of us still getting out of bed every morning. I have gathered up 7 target M12's recently. They are my winter projects for restoration. One of them is a two pin trap gun with the rare stainless steel barrel (1929 gun). Thank you for your comment.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen a few New Haven 20 ga factory installed pads over the years. Winchester offered recoil pad installation for a extra $5.00 on orders while rack 20 ga's were hard butt guns. The OP wanted a "replica" pad so the red 1922 patent date pad would be as close to the original as you can get that Tony Galazan started marketing 30 odd years ago. You get to nit picky between originals and just adding a pad to make a model 12 more enjoyable as a shooter its not like OP was trying to fake a pad on a model 12.
My inability to find a red Winchester pad for sale has led me to search other recoil pad products. While searching around I ran across the Pachmayr Field 325 Model recoil pad. The gun I have has been reblued at some time and not a highly desirable collector piece, but a nice gun for me to use as a shooter. I’ve attached a pic of the Pachmayr pad I’m strongly considering installing. I think the pad would compliment the gun and the wood on it. The first pic is a representation of the pad. The other two pics are of the stock on the gun I recently acquired. I have been told it is not an original Winchester stock. 56584D07-10F9-4287-846B-E70758A243F6.jpeg 3A682C44-33FE-4724-AC68-8E42CCD6CB0B.jpeg 226210DC-32B3-41FE-9AC1-533799617A5A.jpeg

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have a 12 ga one that came off of a 1960s era gun ( I think). I am not sure if it will fit a 20 ga gun. You can have it for cost of shipping, $10.
PM me if interested.
Jim

·
Registered
618 Posts
My inability to find a red Winchester pad for sale has led me to search other recoil pad products. While searching around I ran across the Pachmayr Field 325 Model recoil pad. The gun I have has been reblued at some time and not a highly desirable collector piece, but a nice gun for me to use as a shooter. I’ve attached a pic of the Pachmayr pad I’m strongly considering installing. I think the pad would compliment the gun and the wood on it. The first pic is a representation of the pad. The other two pics are of the stock on the gun I recently acquired. I have been told it is not an original Winchester stock. View attachment 1715655 View attachment 1715656 View attachment 1715657
The pad in question similar to the post 1961 Winchester red vented pad. Winchester was "white lined" with a black spacer, possible Packmeyr 9sp) produced and Winchester's name on back of pad. The stock is just awesome eye candy, stock flute and checkering border done in Winchester pattern too. If you think that's just a shooter its show us the rest of it.

If the Winchester 1922 reproduction pad is out of production I seriously consider obtaining at least one as if I still had my old stash you be welcome to them.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The pad in question similar to the post 1961 Winchester red vented pad. Winchester was "white lined" with a black spacer, possible Packmeyr 9sp) produced and Winchester's name on back of pad. The stock is just awesome eye candy, stock flute and checkering border done in Winchester pattern too. If you think that's just a shooter its show us the rest of it.

If the Winchester 1922 reproduction pad is out of production I seriously consider obtaining at least one as if I still had my old stash you be welcome to them.
The pad you referenced with the white line was made by Pachmayr for Winchester and other gun manufacturers. They tried to outsource from another manufacturer which created a big lawsuit. The outcome was Winchester had to change the vents and put the white line between the stock and the black base. Google the lawsuit between Winchester and Pachmayr and read it it is interesting to Winchester folks. The White Line was originally patented by Mershon and then went to Pachmayr. Just a bit of Winchester history. Keep posting Song Dog.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The pad you referenced with the white line was made by Pachmayr for Winchester and other gun manufacturers. They tried to outsource from another manufacturer which created a big lawsuit. The outcome was Winchester had to change the vents and put the white line between the stock and the black base. Google the lawsuit between Winchester and Pachmayr and read it it is interesting to Winchester folks. The White Line was originally patented by Mershon and then went to Pachmayr. Just a bit of Winchester history. Keep posting Song Dog.
That's a big "bit" of history, never heard of that one, still many Model 12ers on TS that benefit from you. I'll tell this story, among my model 12 Traps also shot Model 12 Skeet guns, including the factory flange guns. It always was disputed among collectors if Winchester added "cutts" on solid rib & factory vent rib with choke markings. Some collectors said they did others NO way, back in the 90's interviewed retired factory workers if customer wanted a "cutts" if a barrel was obtained from the barrel storage room with a choke marking was it used? I was never ever able to speak to Winchester employee who worked in the model 12 assembly room. I once came across a 1960 gun magazine article with pictures of the assembly room, large desk like table on rollers with model 12 parts. The finished guns were place on a gun rack on rollers off to proof testing.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's a big "bit" of history, never heard of that one, still many Model 12ers on TS that benefit from you. I'll tell this story, among my model 12 Traps also shot Model 12 Skeet guns, including the factory flange guns. It always was disputed among collectors if Winchester added "cutts" on solid rib & factory vent rib with choke markings. Some collectors said they did others NO way, back in the 90's interviewed retired factory workers if customer wanted a "cutts" if a barrel was obtained from the barrel storage room with a choke marking was it used? I was never ever able to speak to Winchester employee who worked in the model 12 assembly room. I once came across a 1960 gun magazine article with pictures of the assembly room, large desk like table on rollers with model 12 parts. The finished guns were place on a gun rack on rollers off to proof testing.
I have been told (by three different Winchester former employees one as windy as Wyoming with the other two straight shooters) that the only cataloged Cutts guns were plain barreled with the forged flange on the end of the barrel and without choke designation. One could send a gun to the factory to have a Cutts or another choke devise installed. My research has found that they sent them to the choke devise manufacturer for the addition. Choke manufacturers would install them also with direct shipment to them along with many many gunsmiths also installing them. The Lyman factory was very close to the Winchester factory. I say unless it is a 12 gauge plain barrel with the forged integral flange it was not installed as a factory installed catalog symbol gun. The told stories one hears at gun shows and gun shops goes on an and on about "it is a factory installed Cutts". Just like the vent ribs. Without looking at my old catalogs I am thinking that small gauge guns did not have the forged internal lug.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Talking about "factory flange" model 12 skeet guns; I have owned 2, a pre war and post war Skeet marked 12 gauges, those Cutts's could smash a skeet target. Its amazing how Winchester rolled the flange end as part of the barrel, work of art. You be able to find this in your Winchester paper work, I saw a pre-war model 12 20 ga a few years ago that was a factory flange, the only 1 specimen ever seen in 50 years of admiring model 12's. If Winchester did catalog a flange 20 ga cutts must have been between 1937-1940 so if you have it, check and see if their a catalog #. There odd balls out their like a pre-war skeet marked 20 ga in special order WS-2 choke marked on barrel.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Talking about "factory flange" model 12 skeet guns; I have owned 2, a pre war and post war Skeet marked 12 gauges, those Cutts's could smash a skeet target. Its amazing how Winchester rolled the flange end as part of the barrel, work of art. You be able to find this in your Winchester paper work, I saw a pre-war model 12 20 ga a few years ago that was a factory flange, the only 1 specimen ever seen in 50 years of admiring model 12's. If Winchester did catalog a flange 20 ga cutts must have been between 1937-1940 so if you have it, check and see if their a catalog #. There odd balls out their like a pre-war skeet marked 20 ga in special order WS-2 choke marked on barrel.
I have seen a few WS-2 guns. One was a 16ga skeet with WS-2 choke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts