Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a model 12 from another trapshooter on this board. What I wanted was a lower end model 12 that maybe didn't look so good but functioned fine. My sole purpose was to be able to shoot the nostalgia shoot at the Grand, which is my first. Upon the gun arriving, it looked great. What it didn't do was work properly. It is a 1933 gun.

The issue is that it would close fine (slide forward and close the bolt) but would not open using the slide release button. My gunsmith began to inspect it and it was his belief that either the cartridge cut off was bent or the springs on the action slide lock were worn. Seeing that the button for the slide release had little, if any tension, I went and ordered both parts. We also noticed many marks around the button which indicated to us this gun had issues.

He installed the cut off. No difference. He installed the slide lock, but upon realizing that it needs to be fit to the gun, he decided to leave it to someone who knows model 12's better than he does. The gun is still currently locked with the bolt closed.

All of that said, will there be anyone at the Grand who can get this gun up and running in a couple of days? I know that is a pipe dream but I am hoping to still be able to do the shoot. I suppose the other option would be to leave it with someone there to work on it and ship it to me later...but that does not help me with the purpose I bought it for.

Any help? I'll be there on the 2nd.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I take it the gun is unloaded and you have tried pulling the trigger/dropping the hammer to see if the slide will unlock?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gun is unloaded. Yes, pulling the trigger and dry firing makes no difference in the action of the slide. I did not try it with a live round to see if that works but something is wrong no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just emailed Wright's. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully they can come through.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An old time local guy. He admitted his shortcomings on this deal. He's great at rebluing and other work but this was out of his league.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed Wright's and got a response. They think they should be able to take care of this for me. Hopefully they can!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have a couple of M12s myself and they are a lot of fun. When you take them apart though you realize you are working on something more resembling a swiss watch.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Try this.....With the gun closed, and in a safe area, dry fire the gun in a safe manner. After it has fired, gently push forward on the forearm and listen for a "click". Sometimes it requires a bit more than a gentle push forward.

If you hear this "click" the gun should open.

I have several that will not open after dry firing unless I push forward on the forearm.

If it opens, go to a safe area, load the gun, fire a shell, and see if it opens then.

In my opinion, if this all happens, I believe the gun is normal.

Just from my experiences, and operate at your own risk.

Never send a gun to someone if it will not open for safe transport.

·
Registered
685 Posts
some one changed the action slide lock and did NOTfit the hook to the stub on the left side of the hammer.with the trigger out of the gun you will see this. with trigger in ur hand push the slide lock as if ur trying to open the gun you will notice the hook is not going over that little stub on the HAMMER. it is hitting that stub and the front of the action slide lock can notdrop down off of the action bar. this is something you can do with out doing any dissambly of trigger components. my guess is that somewere the action slide lock springs one or both broke they dall them springs but they are wires. they are hell to get out. he couldnt get them out and got one that had the springs in it. pm me and i can walk you through this thnks howard

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The gun is locked up solid. The only way to get it to release at this time is to take the trigger group out.

Simon, the slide release with the springs on it has been replaced with a new part. The springs are not broken or weak at this time. What I did notice is that between the old release and the new one...there is more "meat" on the new one. I believe it has to be fitted to the gun which is above my level of expertise.

·
Registered
685 Posts
hi again with the trigger out of gun and the hammer cocked put it back in reciever and push on slide lock to open gun. if it opens the hook is sort of timed and retrieving the hammer back to allow the front of the slide lock to come off of the action bar. if it will not pump back ur problem is in the slide lock. when you said it looked meatier than other one i assume it is the hook that is fattier. that is ur issue. if it comes back fine then dry fire it if it does not come back you have the wrong hammer in the trigger guard. their were2 different style hammers depending on whether the gun is a square bolt or round bolt the rear of the bolt is what pushes the hammer back . possible the guy switched hammers because he thought one looked better and the guide rod pivot pin wasnt loose. hope this info makes you more knoweligble thnks and keep us informed howard

1 - 20 of 24 Posts