Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a nice MDL 12 Trap that I need help with. Can't seem to get the for end to stay centered. I've taken it apart and tightened the for end nut, but after a few shots its right back to tight and rubbing on the rh side. Anybody been thru this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
This was advice from a long time ago but Ron Kesselring told me mine had to have the wood re-inleted for the lockring to make another complete turn. Pretty sure I shimmed up the wood with either dental floss or Teflon tape . It was a Bishop extended forearm on my wife's 20 ga. skeet gun . The twisting while pumping caused the extension to rise just enough to block the ejecting shell making it a single shot. My funky fix gave the lock ring just enough purchase to stop the twisting and the ring covers the material I used.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
on the forearm tube, youll find a small little metal rise. it cuts into the wood when you slide it over the tube. over time, the wood wears out and it doesnt do its job.
look inside your forearm wood. youll see the groove that the metal rise makes in the wood. thats the area that needs to be glassed or epoxied, so when you slide the wood over again, itll make a new groove.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
A properly made or factory forend has a slot cut in it, lining up with a metal thingy, to keep it from rotating. Yours may not have that feature.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
hard to believe such a great gun has such a cheesy flaw. i assume the designers never figured its owners would wear them out i guess! i sure have.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found the two bumps on the back of the for end iron. Epoxied where they have worn the wood. Will take it out to shoot and test at the next opportunity. Thanks. John

·
Registered
685 Posts
john you need to make sure the action slide is not on a angle as it is being pumped thru the slot in themagazine extension. this is important to note as it will flex the action bar and will wear the slot in the mag. extension as well. thnks howard ps. you can pm. me if you need to talk to me

·
Registered
746 Posts
For the most part, the forearms do not want to rotate around. Most have to be spread a bit to even get them on. A worn slot in the forearm is likely due to sloppy re-installations over the years, people injudiciously hammering the wood on, finding it's not right, and doing it over (and over).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts