Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to removing the action slide screw cap from the action slide? I've got a replacement screw cap and the one on the gun has buggered-up slots from a shadetree gunsmith.

I have the correct wrench for this, but the action slide twists inside the forend when I try to remove it. Can I use a block of wood to prevent the action slide from turning inside the forend? I don't want to damage the forend wood while removing this so I'm asking for suggestions.

I can see the threads at the top of the action slide, maybe use some PB Blaster penetrating oil to see if that will loosen it up? Because the lip at the end of the forend probably isn't finished I'm a little hesitant to do this, but maybe that's the safest way to start.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Try some PB. The threads on that are pretty fine, so a lot of area to get cranky. You will need to figure out a way to keep the slide from twisting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a wrench you can purchase for this task. I think Midway has them for around $10. I made one that worked pretty well for my model 12 disassembly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try some PB. The threads on that are pretty fine, so a lot of area to get cranky. You will need to figure out a way to keep the slide from twisting.
OK, I'll try some PB Blaster and give it some time to work. Maybe that's what is needed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a wrench you can purchase for this task. I think Midway has them for around $10. I made one that worked pretty well for my model 12 disassembly.
I have a Model 12 forend wrench I bought from Brownells probably 30 years ago. If the person that previously removed the action cap screw had used one, the slots might be in better shape now.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
To state it’s a chore would be a big understatement.
I have successfully removed 4 but I not without a lot of serious swearing. I have one that I gave up on - at least for now.

First off, Brownell offers 2 styles of wrenches. The more expensive of the 2 is junk, albeit it looks more substantial than the cheaper one. I purchased one and broke the nibs off (using hand pressure) returned it and the same issue. This happened 4 times. I finally got a refund. The cheaper wrench is better.

As stated above, applying a high quality penetrating oil for a week or so may help along with the use of a heat gun.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Same here, I purchased the expensive one just three weeks ago and one of tip broke at my first attempt.

First off, Brownell offers 2 styles of wrenches. The more expensive of the 2 is junk, albeit it looks more substantial than the cheaper one. I purchased one and broke the nibs off (using hand pressure) returned it and the same issue. This happened 4 times. I finally got a refund. The cheaper wrench is better.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you have a nice vice around with jaws 4 inches or bigger take the action slide handle and pad it well. I have a thick rubber pad about a half inch thick. I wrap the pad around the action slide handle squeezing it in the vise. Do not tighten the vice to much and crush the wood. This will hold the wood tight so it will not spin on the action slide. Then use your wrench to unscrew the action slide handle retainer (nut) . Reverse procedure to reassemble. I have used this method on probably a thousand or more without damaging the wood. PM me if Iam not clear and I will give you my phone number so we can talk.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: I got the action slide screw cap off. I don't know if it was the PB Blaster (@jwsmith1959 and @Bluegoose) or the vice with rubber-covered jaws (@wahtsamoie) that worked, but the combination of the two got the cap to come off. I've got some cleanup to do now, and I'm also waiting for some replacement screws before I can put it back together.

Thanks to those that replied.

·
Sky Buster
4,127 Posts
UPDATE: I got the action slide screw cap off. I don't know if it was the PB Blaster (@jwsmith1959 and @Bluegoose) or the vice with rubber-covered jaws (@wahtsamoie) that worked, but the combination of the two got the cap to come off. I've got some cleanup to do now, and I'm also waiting for some replacement screws before I can put it back together.

Thanks to those that replied.
It helps to put the tool in the vice and then turn the forend rather than
turning the tool.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It helps to put the tool in the vice and then turn the forend rather than
turning the tool.
Not if it turns the action slide in the action slide. Especially if you are working on type 1&2 style actions action slides. The little lugs are very close to the top of the action slide handle and will crack the wood when the action slide handle turns. The really older guns seem like the wood grew to the action slide retainer. Trust me I have replaced many that have cracked wood where the method you suggested was used. They would bring them to me and ask can I get new them a new and install it. Do it yourself gunsmith kept me busy and ringing the till. I have reassembled them using your method.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts