Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one of the "American Browning" Model 11's. I bought it cheap and just got around to tearing it down to clean it up. The only real issue (other than the springs) is that the barrel extension is able to unscrew by hand. There's no damage to the extension or the barrel and the threads are fine. How is it supposed to be attached? Peened? Soldered? Any advice on this would be appreciated!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would coat the threads with a removable loctite and screw it on till STRAIGHT. then let it cure for a day or so. Or you could use some shim stock to make a "crush" fit between the extension and barrel. Should be good to go. DO NOT peen/solder or weld......You'll ruin it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read elsewhere too that loctite works just fine. That's a lot cheaper than taking it to my gunsmith.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would coat the threads with a removable loctite and screw it on till STRAIGHT. then let it cure for a day or so. Or you could use some shim stock to make a "crush" fit between the extension and barrel. Should be good to go. DO NOT peen/solder or weld......You'll ruin it.
I agree with Loctite but I would use red Loctite. You or anyone else probably would never need to unscrew it ever again but if you ever did use moderate heat and it will still unscrew.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Loctite but I would use red Loctite. You or anyone else probably would never need to unscrew it ever again but if you ever did use moderate heat and it will still unscrew.
That was my plan, either red or Rocksett.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Or you could just leave it as-is? The design of this gun won’t allow it to unscrew in use. I’ve occasionally come across muzzleloaders where you could unscrew the breech plugs with your fingers & they were not an issue when shooting, either.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, I appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
My model 11 has been like that since I got it in 1986 and it doesn't hurt anything as it cant unscrew.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If was okay to be a free moving joint connection then why was they designed to be a crush threaded tight. I have never seen a Belgium Browning with this situation. Things like this is possibly why Remington is in Bankruptcy again. With this looseness firing and jerking back on the barrel will only compound the looseness issue the headspace is set at the end of the chamber where the two meet). If your wife told you her car had a tire with low pressure would you tell her to keep driving it because the wheel won't come off?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts