Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of questions. What would cause a mod 12 to eject the empty upon firing? Also why would the chamber ring require changing? Mine seems to have a smooth transition from chamber to ring but the hulls have a mark on them where the ring ends. It almost looks like the chamber is larger than the ring. Steel hulls are very hard to eject.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Are you holding back on the forearm when firing? #2 Sounds like the chamber ring you have needs fitting. Has the barrel ever been changed? Jeff

·
Registered
742 Posts
A lot of 12s are smooth enough that you can fire them one-handed and the shell will self eject. I've not seen one smooth enough to chamber the next round by itself.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one that is coming open is not mine, so I can't answer that. He says he is not pulling back. The barrel has not been changed. This problem has developed in the last while. It used to eject without steel hulls without a problem.

·
Registered
685 Posts
action slide lock could be worn this usually wears more than the action bar. you have a timing problem here. ends of action bar and slide lock can be welded and refitted. the hard ejection of the steel shells is because the rims are thicker than the brass shells. the chamber ring if its original doesnt like the thicker rim thus you are coining it in the rear of the chamber ring. a dime to a donut you have an egg shaped chamber ring. this is why you see the marks on the shell that you describe. pm me if you like or want more info. thnks and have a great day howard

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Simon Engraving rebuilt my 1928 model 12 field grade and it's like a new gun today! He also engraved it, beautiful old shotgun that works slick and Howard did a magnificent job on it!!

HAP

·
Registered
628 Posts
Talk to Stu Wright,or one of the other folks at Wright's Gunsmith.They are the model 12 experts. I have had them work on mine, and bought a couple from them. They have talked me through problems, and I did not have to send the gun. They also kept me out of harms way when I came upon a 1923 gun that had some issues.
They are the best !
Jim

·
Registered
557 Posts
Don't shoot steel hull shells. Mine hates them as well. Same with my brothers. I stopped because sometimes it was a batch getting them out. Didn't want to break or bend the slide arm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts