Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find Green Dot this summer so I ended up with three jugs of Promo. I have read that Promo varies from jug to jug and must be adjusted when starting a new batch. What would be wrong with dumping all the Promo together, stir, re-jug and not have to adjust for a new jug. Just thinking........

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
I couldn't find Green Dot this summer so I ended up with three jugs of Promo. I have read that Promo varies from jug to jug and must be adjusted when starting a new batch. What would be wrong with dumping all the Promo together, stir, re-jug and not have to adjust for a new jug. Just thinking........
Why don't you give Alliant a call and ask them?
I think that this would be your best bet on this question.
(800) 379-1732

·
Premium Member
5,903 Posts
Mixing different powders is verboten. Mixing different lots of the same powder generally should be OK. The one exception, if there is one, is Promo, which varies in density from lot to lot. Mixing the powder from different jugs of the same lot of Promo should be OK. And I don't think mixing different lots of Promo would be a problem either. The only difference between the lots is the density, not the burn rate.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would say no....Promo is not manufactured...its blended from other powders that dont make the grade for whatever reason. They blend them together to get a burn speed that is supposed to resemble red dot. That is why promo is different density from lot to lot....its because what they have to mix together to make the burn speed right constantly changes. Its also why promo is sometimes hard to find. They wait to mix it in batches when they have enough components to do so.

Reap

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Is Promo so loosely spec'd in it's quality control that there is a noticable difference lot to lot? Do people actually retest their shotshell loads and adjust the powder charge when switching lot numbers? I have never had to do that with any other shotshell powders, but I have never used much Promo. With precision rifle loading, with rifles shot at over 600 yards, I have made some minor lot to lot adjustments to keep velocity consistant, but never for a shotshell or pistol powder. I am not trying to start an argument, or attack anyone, I just never heard of shotshell reloaders worrying about lot to lot differences.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Is Promo so loosely spec'd in it's quality control that there is a noticable difference lot to lot?
The burn speed from lot to lot is the same but the amount of the different powders used to mix it is different thus resulting in a density difference from lot to lot.

Reap

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Is Promo so loosely spec'd in it's quality control that there is a noticable difference lot to lot? Do people actually retest their shotshell loads and adjust the powder charge when switching lot numbers? I have never had to do that with any other shotshell powders, but I have never used much Promo. With precision rifle loading, with rifles shot at over 600 yards, I have made some minor lot to lot adjustments to keep velocity consistant, but never for a shotshell or pistol powder. I am not trying to start an argument, or attack anyone, I just never heard of shotshell reloaders worrying about lot to lot differences.
Leo,
It is suggested by Alliant, "To weigh the powder drop every time you open a new jug.
The bushing used to drop 17.5 grains on one jug COULD differ on a different jug.
As long as the WEIGHT is correct, you have NO ISSUES.
Just something to deal with when using PROMO.
The cost makes it worth the 2 minutes that it takes to accomplish this easy task.
Gotta Love Promo,
Mark

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
If your jugs are from the same lot, there is no need to mix the powder. If from different lots, you will have to make a minor bushing change. No big deal either way.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Whenever I am getting ready to load some shells I always shake the container the powder is in(just to make sure there are no clumps). Once the powder has left the jug it never goes back in. If I have powder left over from a loading session I use a (brand new) mason jar with a sealed lid to store the left over to use the next time and add if needed. I also every loading session take a few extra seconds to re verify the powder drop. I know I probably don't have to but for me it gives me piece of mind to just make sure.

We are dealing with a controlled explosion just a mere inches from our face....isn't it worth it to verify what were doing to ensure safety for all? Not only am I worried about myself getting hurt....what about my Daughter who shoots?..the person or people next to us when we shoot together? If something were to happen I couldn't live with myself if someone got hurt because I didn't want to spend the few extra min it takes to weigh out a couple (I measure 10...yes every time and log it) of powder drops.

Lets all be safe...lets all enjoy the sport of shooting and reloading.

Reap

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
[QUOTE="Trapereaper, post: 2367869, member: 54969" If I have powder left over from a loading session I use a (brand new) mason jar with a sealed lid to store the left over to use the next time and add if needed. I also every loading session take a few extra seconds to re verify the powder drop.

Lets all be safe...lets all enjoy the sport of shooting and reloading.

Reap[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure smokeless and black powder are a lot different, but in the subject of safety, I thought I would pass this along. A man I shot with had badly damaged fingers. He told me that he had black powder in a jar and when he tightened the lid, the powder blew the jar up and caused the cuts and burns. I admit to not knowing the science, but even with the plastic jars, I make sure there is a soft gasket and there are no bits of powder on the edges.

·
Premium Member
11,831 Posts
Good point, Leo. Black powder will detonate by impact; think of old time cap pistols.

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Black powder takes one HELL of a hammer blow to 'detonate'. In simple fact neither black or smokeless powders are sensitive to impact but if the hammer causes a spark ignition might occur.

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Good point, Leo. Black powder will detonate by impact; think of old time cap pistols.
Cap compound is NOT black powder. Rather it is a mix of KClO3 ( Potassium Chlorate ) and Red Phosphorus ( P ) .

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Remember that one of the main ingredients of double base smokeless powders
is nitro glycerin. I think that stuff can explode upon impact. HMB

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
Once the powder has left the jug it never goes back in. If I have powder left over from a loading session I use a (brand new) mason jar with a sealed lid to store the left over to use the next time and add if needed.
This is a dangerous step you are taking. If your powder ignites for any reason!!! Its now in a glass jar that will allow the powder to reach a high pressure and then it will explode!!!! with small shards of glass being blown in every direction!!! This is not a Safe step!!!

All Powders are shipped in containers that will not allow the powder to explode "if ignited" for any reason. The cap will simply blow out before the pressures build to the point the plastic bottle would blow into tiny pieces that blow outward. The powder will just blow the lid off and do a flash burn with a flame reaching up into the air from the opening in the container, for a few seconds and then its over. So do not store items over the powder bottle.

Pour all your powder back into the same container you bought it it. Store all powder short term or long term in the same container it came in. Keep in a cool, dry place away from any heat sources. This is the safest thing you can do. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Me? Unless I was down to the last 30 sq. in. of storage space in my loading area, I would simply continue to store those from different batches in the jugs they came in. It's my practice to never mix powders from differing batches let alone from differing brands. No sense deviating from that for the sake of a little convenience.
This would be my thoughts on it too. If you are really tight on space and they are from the same lot, you might be OK, but it is really not a good practice. Better off not mixing and just playing it safe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts