Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can l safely mix different lot's of 700x in one container for use. Storage is an issue.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Like nebs said, just weigh your powder charges. I usually do the first 10 just to get the flow going. Then load away!!

·
Premium Member
5,843 Posts
Can l safely mix different lot's of 700x in one container for use. Storage is an issue.
NO. Not if your using IMR 700X and different generations of Hodgdon as they apparently have different densities by accounts here. No way to get a complete and thorough mix to obtain a proof mix that doesn't create potential for an excessive powder charge.

YES if all lots take the same or very close to the same bushing to drop identical powder amount.

·
Premium Member
11,834 Posts
It's not recommended by Hodgdon. But when I am down to a half a cup of powder, I will often pour it into the new keg and give it a shake.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't remove powders from their original containers because the lot numbers are on the containers. Powder companies have made recalls of powder in the past and have done it by lot numbers. Google "smokeless powder recalls" or "reloading powder recalls" for some of the latest.

Reactions: BDOG22

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
On very consistent powders like e3, I'll just pour the new on top of what remains in the powder hopper. With inconsistent powders like Red Dot, I would never mix.

BTW, I used to buy 16 lbs. of a powder at a time, both the same lot number. I tested and chrono's every lot. For pistol reloading, when I find a good lot, I'll order as much as can go in one Hazmat shipment. This especially true for loading 9mm major.

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
With inconsistent powders like Red Dot, I would never mix.
Inconsistent in what way? Density? Or burn rate? I can see not mixing powder of different lot numbers if the burn rate was inconsistent. But what calamity might befall from mixing two lots of the same powder that have only different densities. So long as you shake the combined powders so the resulting mixture is of uniform density and you make sure you have weighed your drops to make sure the weight is where you want it, I can see no issue.

A separate discussion of Promo is in order, though the conclusion might be the same.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
To be on the safe side, powder companies have recommended against it. However, I am not the only one to do this. Like Timb, I put the last dribbles from a keg into a new one and mix it up.

I also like to order as much as I can get of a powder I use. Recently, a nearby supplier put IMR Red kegs on close out. I bought them out, all same lot numbers. BTW, it seems to be like Clays in cleanliness, with Red Dot burn speed.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
thank you nebs, if anyone has to worry and lose sleep over this ,maybe ya shouldn't be reloading ammo, or do the brakes on your car, or change a light bulb.

·
Thorn in your side
8,114 Posts
On very consistent powders like e3, I'll just pour the new on top of what remains in the powder hopper. With inconsistent powders like Red Dot, I would never mix.
I too am curious about this statement. Red Dot is the only powder I currently load and it is the only powder I have loaded for the last several years. Although I don't make a habit out of mixing lot numbers, I have in the past when the jug gets low and I open a new one. Have done that many times. No ill effects so far, and I even shoot a K-80. Double Troubles.

Have you had a bad situation with mixing lot numbers of Red Dot?

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
To be on the safe side, powder companies have recommended against it. However, I am not the only one to do this. Like Timb, I put the last dribbles from a keg into a new one and mix it up.

I also like to order as much as I can get of a powder I use. Recently, a nearby supplier put IMR Red kegs on close out. I bought them out, all same lot numbers. BTW, it seems to be like Clays in cleanliness, with Red Dot burn speed.
Where are these recommendations published?

·
Premium Member
5,843 Posts
Inconsistent in what way? Density? Or burn rate? I can see not mixing powder of different lot numbers if the burn rate was inconsistent. But what calamity might befall from mixing two lots of the same powder that have only different densities. So long as you shake the combined powders so the resulting mixture is of uniform density and you make sure you have weighed your drops to make sure the weight is where you want it, I can see no issue.

A separate discussion of Promo is in order, though the conclusion might be the same.

Problem with mixing different lot numbers of powder even though they are the same type is if one is denser than the other, the denser powder will settle to the bottom of the reservoir. Starting out when weighing may produce lighter charges (desired) than what you'll be dropping after loading a box of shells do to vibration.

Since the OP specifically asked about 700X, there has been change with this powder through the decades. Of course, it would depend upon OP's time span between lots.

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
Problem with mixing different lot numbers of powder even though they are the same type is if one is denser than the other, the denser powder will settle to the bottom of the reservoir. Starting out when weighing may produce lighter charges (desired) than what you'll be dropping after loading a box of shells do to vibration.

Since the OP specifically asked about 700X, there has been change with this powder through the decades. Of course, it would depend upon OP's time span between lots.
So, during the course of the use of the entire column of powder in a reservoir, slightly denser powder equally distributed throughout the column will migrate all the way through to the bottom and cause some difference in charge weight by the time the column is depleted? This proposition strains the credulity of a reasonable person.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
You could take a Lee dipper or other quick measure and a scale and check the relative density of each lot of powder before mixing just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
5,843 Posts
So, during the course of the use of the entire column of powder in a reservoir, slightly denser powder equally distributed throughout the column will migrate all the way through to the bottom and cause some difference in charge weight by the time the column is depleted? This proposition strains the credulity of a reasonable person.
Yes, it definitely has potential to dependent upon actually dimension/weight variance. Rather simple to comprehend. Don't believe me, then perform the test to prove me wrong.

The problem potential for most reloaders and it sounds from your posts you are one of these is that they check one or two drops at the beginning of a reloading session and if the amount is desirable, they merrily load on till the quota or session is finished. Never checking weight again. Many apparently only take a drop or two at the initial keg opening and happily load the keg without at any point verifying that the drop weight is still constant.

For someone that constantly advises others here to not indiscriminately switch components in/of a recipe without any knowledge of outcome/potential, it would seem somewhat hypocritical that you now indicate mixing lot numbers of powder is ok without any knowledge of wether it is or not as in your post below.

Sure you can. Just make sure that when you go to use it, you are dropping the correct weight of powder.

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
Yes, I have noticed that the colored dots in my IMR Red all floated to the top of my powder tube because they are of lesser density than the powder flakes. What a load of manure. There is too much handwringing going on over an issue that should be obvious.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I too am curious about this statement. Red Dot is the only powder I currently load and it is the only powder I have loaded for the last several years. Although I don't make a habit out of mixing lot numbers, I have in the past when the jug gets low and I open a new one. Have done that many times. No ill effects so far, and I even shoot a K-80. Double Troubles.

Have you had a bad situation with mixing lot numbers of Red Dot?
Yes. One lot of Red Dot dropped a 1200fps load down to 1155fps. I've always had to adjust the Red Dot powder drop to get a particular velocity when changing lots, but that was the last straw.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts